STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotcha. I just realized it is common in Europe. We don't see it domestically.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are all chains, after all, there are saws and different applications

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess it is done to lock customers into their eco system to sell more chains. Plus, make sure your bars will never fit your competitor's chains by making the DL count different.

I have found both my (fake) MS-660 and Husky 385 can run the same bars using an adapter and most importantly the same chains. 3/8x.050x105 DL for the 32" and 3/8x.050x72 DL for the 20" bar. I hope to soon have a used MS-170 I recently bought, running the common A041 (?) bar with low profile 3/8 x .050 chain in 62 DL (18") or the 55 (?) for the 14" bars on it

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess it is done to lock customers into their eco system to sell more chains. Plus, make sure your bars will never fit your competitor's chains by making the DL count different.

I have found both my (fake) MS-660 and Husky 385 can run the same bars using an adapter and most importantly the same chains. 3/8x.050x105 DL for the 32" and 3/8x.050x72 DL for the 20" bar. I hope to soon have a used MS-170 I recently bought, running the common A041 (?) bar with low profile 3/8 x .050 chain in 62 DL (18") or the 55 (?) for the 14" bars on it
Of course it is. Why would they have the option to let you buy from some other manufacturer? I dont really like 1.6mm, makes the bar very heavy. I like .325" 1.3mm more.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know it is a TS but that’s it. Going to need to get the parts to get it running again.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn I found a old one. Thank you for the reply. Been trying to get the air filter off but no luck yet. Not forcing anything.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Asking for some information...tree service dropped off some saws yesterday, I will be needing a couple of fuel tank/handle assemblies and a piston/cylinder kit. Since these a likely to get dropped, run over, or otherwise crushed anyway, are there options for aftermarket parts for these? I am not very familiar with acquiring parts for Stihl saws.

20221021_170136.jpg

Mark

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Asking for some information...tree service dropped off some saws yesterday, I will be needing a couple of fuel tank/handle assemblies and a piston/cylinder kit. Since these a likely to get dropped, run over, or otherwise crushed anyway, are there options for aftermarket parts for these? I am not very familiar with acquiring parts for Stihl saws.

View attachment 352283

Mark

I've avoided AM decomps,tensioners,and starter handles.
The 1125 saws certainly have all the parts available and plastics are decent. I used an AM tank on my 066 as the original was broken, its been leak free.
Cylinder kits are available for most except for a few like the ms271 and some other clamshell designs.
Meteor makes a very nice cylinder and piston but $$$ . Honestly I haven't had any catastrophic failures with my Farmertech ones either , but they are lazy strait out of the box.
I put a Hyway pop up p/c in a 034 stihl and it performs very well also.

Last edited:

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AM parts are all over the map but have been getting better over time simply due to the competition -- which sounds kinda crazy considering we're talking re-pop parts. Of course many parts are from the same sources regardless of the retailer, so shopping for price over quality on certain items is the obvious way to go there -- cosmetic plastics and the like. Most mechanical items can be categorized the same way, but that's also where certain vendors distinguish themselves from the others and different off-shore manufactures do actually come into play. Not that there is an abundance of them, but there are distinct quality differences among the higher end sources and the low end ones.

An honest AM retailer knows the ins and outs of all the above. If you know one on a first name basis, don't be shy about making a phone call to get the skinny on what may be the best suited solution for a given situation. The exact same NiSi P/C kit from one source at $99 can often be had for $49 from another.

Shop around. The time spent is usually worth it in the long run unless the customer has deep enough pockets that a few bucks here and a few bucks there isn't a big deal. In that case, just go OEM and don't look back.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless I need it in an absolutete hurry, many times I order my parts from

https://www.hlsproparts.com/default.asp

this forum's sponsor. They do carry the farmertec stuff too. But, as I posted on the trigger parts for the MS-660, the farmertec are different enough not to properly work. Same saw I had to replace the clutch springs with OEM. Good news though on the saw, the gas caps do not leak and the clutch cover has not broken. I am pretty sure it needs a carb, so, I am not going aftermarket on that if I can avoid it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
08 Stihl .Believe it or not I ran one at "Saw Fest" last week in a tag team event with antique saws .For it's age it didn't do bad .

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MS193t carb question:

How many turns open on the H& L jet screws?

And, are the China carbs any good?