STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will be up 45-50 foot I'd imagine .Depends on how close they get bucket truck .I think it's a 65 footer . I used the bucket a few years back to knock 30 foot from a 70 --80 foot dead ash and almost got eaten alive by the ants . It wasn't like I could bail out .

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, is there a max flow air filter kit for the stihl ms 400?
I’m not seeing any. Thanks

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, is there a max flow air filter kit for the stihl ms 400?
I’m not seeing any. Thanks
I don't see anything, I'd call or email them and ask. They are a pretty nice group of people over there and were very nice when I was in contact with them last.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awright Stihl guys, a new plug wire has given my 056 spark, but once I stick a plug in the boot it loses spark. If I jump the tester to the cylinder it has mucho spark but again, put a plug on the end of the tester and it loses it. Would the foggysail fix cure that or is it new coil time?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're generating spark I'd say the ignition is fine and your problem is still in the plug lead, boot spring or plug. I'd start at that end and work back to the coil. A meter may come in handy to look for continuity and/or a short to ground when the plug is in place.
It may flex the lead just enough when in place to create what you're experiencing. Been there, done that.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're generating spark I'd say the ignition is fine and your problem is still in the plug lead, boot spring or plug. I'd start at that end and work back to the coil. A meter may come in handy to look for continuity and/or a short to ground when the plug is in place.
It may flex the lead just enough when in place to create what you're experiencing. Been there, done that.
I tried two new NGK plugs and a good used Bosch, no dice. I'll have to explore further, but what I meant was when I grounded the tester to the cylinder the saw had spark. When I put a plug in the end of the tester and grounded the plug (read: I never touched the plug boot after getting confirmed spark) the tester shows no spark.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do your arm a favor and spin the engine over with a cordless drill in reverse!

I gather it's a Bosch ignition if you're considering the Foggy fix. Probably a faster solution than continuing down the current path. Or check if Saegenspezi is shipping internationally again and try one of theirs.

That said, if the current coil produces "mucho spark" with your tester, I'm of the opinion that it's a good coil and the problem is somehow associated with the path to the plug and the plug itself is adding just enough resistance to expose a weak point in the path that kills the spark. May want to measure resistance in the lead with and without the plug and see what you have. Shouldn't be any without the plug. A new plug by itself should measure around 50o 0hms.

On the other hand, a good coil should usually jump even a bad spot in a plug lead or mis-aligned plug terminal spring -- usually.

What tester are you using?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do your arm a favor and spin the engine over with a cordless drill in reverse!

I gather it's a Bosch ignition if you're considering the Foggy fix. Probably a faster solution than continuing down the current path. Or check if Saegenspezi is shipping internationally again and try one of theirs.

That said, if the current coil produces "mucho spark" with your tester, I'm of the opinion that it's a good coil and the problem is somehow associated with the path to the plug and the plug itself is adding just enough resistance to expose a weak point in the path that kills the spark. May want to measure resistance in the lead with and without the plug and see what you have. Shouldn't be any without the plug. A new plug by itself should measure around 50o 0hms.

On the other hand, a good coil should usually jump even a bad spot in a plug lead or mis-aligned plug terminal spring -- usually.

What tester are you using?
You’re correct, the saw is currently wearing a Bosch ignition. As soon as I get a day off I’ll grab a tester and see what sort of resistance the lead is producing. I have been using a drill for my later testing, and my tester is one of the duke’s inline spark testers.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just some good looking Stihl saws at my local Stihl dealer.

NOT SELLING NOR INTERESTED TO BE A MIDDLEMAN FOR ANY OF THEM!!!

Just enjoy the pictures and move on.
Thank You.

IMG_20221013_143624.jpg IMG_20221013_143613.jpg IMG_20221013_143543.jpg

...three more, stay tuned ...

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... continued ...

IMG_20221013_143534.jpg IMG_20221013_143529.jpg IMG_20221013_143509.jpg

Is it just me or do they all look the SAME?!

Some bars

IMG_20221013_143436.jpg

That is it for the next couple weeks/months/years?!

Thank You and cheers

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited: