STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10 x 13 x 10 vs. 10 x 16 x 12 respectively for the needle cages. The smaller size goes as far as the larger homeowner clamshells -- with the exception of the 034/036 before they upgraded that one.

I'm not finding an obvious way to convert a larger clutch saw to a Picco configuration.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i'll just stick with my 261 i reckon thanks for all your help
You have to find a 3/8 rim with very wide margins or cut down a 404 to fit the large drum spline. Swapping to 034-360 early style drum should work but could be made to do so with a mill/lathe I do believe. Not sure, never tried an 1125 style drum on my 361 or 362. The bearing swap does fit.

Your next alternative to try on the drive end is a newer drum or spur from another model like a 270 or 280 if they make it for lp. I know 290 had a tiny drive on the drum like a small size.

The bar tips are all a bit different when new. Some run the 3/8lp smooth some don't. Used lp chain rides pretty good on a new E bar. I've messed with this quite a bit. The better nose sprockets seem to fit lp better.

My roller nose bars won't give a chit. So you can go that route if your not bore cutting or contact me about having a rim cut to fit. Make your own judgment on the nose setup. I might start more research into a better nose sprocket for more bars. Have a good idea on how to get where you want to be. Costs and time for R&D scares off most people before they even try it. Most go the 325nk route.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'm wondering if any other part numbers will work for an 088 upper a.v. bushing.
I can find the inner part with the arm(this ones broken off), but no luck so far on the bushing itself.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like two different versions for an 084. Different part numbers and not interchangeable with the 088 from what I've found so far. Proline has the more common ones for the 084 which I'm guessing are the ones you have. I've gotten decent Proline stuff from Sawzilla.

DDave has the right one for an 088. https://www.ebay.com/p/1972764310

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like two different versions for an 084. Different part numbers and not interchangeable with the 088 from what I've found so far. Proline has the more common ones for the 084 which I'm guessing are the ones you have. I've gotten decent Proline stuff from Sawzilla.

DDave has the right one for an 088. https://www.ebay.com/p/1972764310
Spot on

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not many options out there. If the coil actually tests bad, OEM is obviously expensive and AM seems non-existent..., as you're already aware. Have you eliminated all other possibilities except the coil?

Which ignition setup do you have? If it's the one with the trigger module, I'd suspect the trigger before the coil. If it's the two bolt coil, I would investigate the possibility of using a 0000-400-1300 universal module if the alignment works (or only needs slight modification to fit up). Pretty sure you'd need the dual keyway flywheel for that type of coil, but may be wrong about that. Not that the keyways would necessarily be of any use for timing, but perhaps rather for the magnet polarity. You'd pretty much be on your own experimenting with the flywheel timing position any way you cut it. I can't imagine someone not trying this already, but maybe not?

You may want to try Sagenspezi in Germany. https://shop.saegenspezi.de/Start They have quite a variety of aftermarket options for many of the old Stihl parts. Problem there may be the shipping restrictions from Europe due to Covid if they actually have a replacement.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That coil switch thing brings up a good question .I would think some how some way they can be cross referenced /fit even with some adaptations .Now some like that dumb-azzed idea of an internal coil ,under the fly wheel ,on a Husky 2100 I'm not sure what you could do with that .With an external coil something has to fit .When I find the time I'll look at an 084 .Maybe some kind of a brain storm could be hatched ,maybe not .I've said before many times a Husky 272 coil is a perfect match for a Partner p-100 which has a coil that is nearly impossible to find and it was just a guess on my part .

species8472

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That coil switch thing brings up a good question .I would think some how some way they can be cross referenced /fit even with some adaptations .Now some like that dumb-azzed idea of an internal coil ,under the fly wheel ,on a Husky 2100 I'm not sure what you could do with that .With an external coil something has to fit .When I find the time I'll look at an 084 .Maybe some kind of a brain storm could be hatched ,maybe not .I've said before many times a Husky 272 coil is a perfect match for a Partner p-100 which has a coil that is nearly impossible to find and it was just a guess on my part .
Early 088 is bolt on fit and works. Just wondering if there is anything else that would work.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Magnetos are a study all in their own .What they all have in common is just nearly all trigger at the top of the positive transition of the pulsating DC sine wave where the voltage is the greatest . Exceptions being if they are static or advancing .You can't find much info about that and the only two examples I can think of are the SEM coils for the 042 and 048 plus the advancing units on some Briggs engines used on lawn mowers .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now about that 084 that lives in my shed I've never had the recoil off so I know next to nothing about it .I'm not sure if it's a self contained coil or one with a trigger unit .I do know that mule kicking SOB will try to pull your arm off .Nasty thing !--It's got a D-handle now to tame it down a bit .Saying that I would think just about any trigger unit ,if it's that type design should work like "Atom Arc " etc .For that matter it is the trigger unit being defective on one of the Partner saws is why I changed it to the Husky 272 coil .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea if this will help or not .The coil is basically what I call a two leg. It has a center lamination and one on each end .In the picture which I was having a hard time taking a pic plus holding the calipers ,center to center 49 mm on the bolts .On the inside bolts nearest the fly wheel is 61 MM ,center center lamination is 25 MM and magnets are 25 MM center nearest I can tell .I'm not certain if it's a capacitor discharge unit or what it is nor which set of laminations actually fire the unit via the trigger unit . None of the spare coils I had laying around fit the dimensions but I really don't have many Stihl coils and only one from a Partner and none from a Husky .Lots of McCullochs though which doesn't really help. The way I found the Partner repair was looking on E-bay for a coil they gave the dimensions and it just turned out to be Husqvarna .That's about the best I can do at the moment .DSCN0957[1].JPG

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0000-400-1303 was one of the MS660 modules that was later changed to 1122-400-1314. Both are derivatives / cousins of the universal 0000-400-1300 module which can be found in any burned up 029 (or as aftermarket for 10 or 15 bucks). Would need to do a little research to determine of they're (MS660 versions) limited or not. The 1300 is not.

Last edited: