Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t worry soon enough they’ll be ripping that one off and every jack*ss out there will have rebuilt/ported ms661’s freshly gone over for 9-1100 on eBay.

You say that but I remember 5 years ago when non rebuilt gutted oem 660s were being price gouged for no reason other than *iTs a StIhl mAgNuM"

At least those rebuild saws run for the prices they charge .

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You say that but I remember 5 years ago when non rebuilt gutted oem 660s were being price gouged for no reason other than *iTs a StIhl mAgNuM"
Yep I realize that but now it’s hard to tell what kind of crap your getting for the bend over. It’s mostly oem then you ask what isn’t and they say piston cylinder and a few other selected parts. This is if they tell you at all and don’t just wait for the next sucker to show up. Just get sick of all the cobbled saws because joe blow decided to flip saws and knows nothing about parts quality. Or worse he does know and wants oem price for a china saw that’s 200$ on sale in kit form.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
B
Yep I realize that but now it’s hard to tell what kind of crap your getting for the bend over. It’s mostly oem then you ask what isn’t and they say piston cylinder and a few other selected parts. This is if they tell you at all and don’t just wait for the next sucker to show up. Just get sick of all the cobbled saws because joe blow decided to flip saws and knows nothing about parts quality. Or worse he does know and wants oem price for a china saw that’s 200$ on sale in kit form.

I understand that but the same could already be said of this 661. I mean I'm not saying the guy was lying. As he could have not even noticed the crack. But it was stated it to be a runner which saying that is a partial truth. As did it run? Yes. Is it a working saw? No.

It's the name of the game in eBay sales.

As far as the china saw wanting over what's it's worth that's annoying for me. Especially when the next guy may not know the difference. That's just *s-wordty people.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull the case half clean it up bolt halves together and weld it up save the 270$ that is if your comfortable doing it and have a high frequency ac tig. If not I bet scarr would do it for you reasonably if you asked. How much did you give for this 661?

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull the case half clean it up bolt halves together and weld it up save the 270$ that is if your comfortable doing it and have a high frequency ac tig. If not I bet scarr would do it for you reasonably if you asked. How much did you give for this 661?

$1100ish with tax and shipping.

I thought about welding it back. But I also didn't want to take the chance on a mill as the crack goes back pretty far not that I got it stripped down. It even pulled the top threads out of rear stud.

IMG_20210329_191056.jpg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$1100ish with tax and shipping.

I thought about welding it back. But I also didn't want to take the chance on a mill as the crack goes back pretty far not that I got it stripped down. It even pulled the top threads out of rear stud.

View attachment 289078
Is there a difference between the heated and non in that side of the case?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I almost bet $ they popped face cuts out with the bar on that saw. Puts a lot of strain on the bar studs. I guess some think a chainsaw is a pry bar lol. I just use my axe to knock out face cuts if I have to.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I almost bet $ they popped face cuts out with the bar on that saw. Puts a lot of strain on the bar studs. I guess some think a chainsaw is a pry bar lol. I just use my axe to knock out face cuts if I have to.

That's a pretty good guess. I've also thought maybe a tree kicked out. As there was also a pretty decent dent in muffler

The saw itself didn't seem like it had alot of hours as I was ripping into it and the bearings were still as tight and spun freely. No sign of ingress.

I could also see where the chain was throwing itself non-stop more than likely because of the loose bar stud. They even put a piece of pvc over the chain catcher's roller.

Probably what lead to the saw being sold.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or finish the cut if cuts are all the way through they should meet up and push out with ease

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. Laziness and cocky ness leads to bad habits I guess.

Btw, I also most drove to the Husqvarna dealer and bought a 395 the more I looked at this saw. But then realized that was stupid and I might as well just finish what i've started.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Btw, I also most drove to the Husqvarna dealer and bought a 395 the more I looked at this saw .
Honestly the 395 is a better milling saw imo. The 661 is a nice felling saw though. You’ll like the 661 though when you get it squared away and maybe open the muffler do a max flo filter.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or finish the cut if cuts are all the way through they should meet up and push out with ease

While I agree the goal is to always get your cuts to meet perfectly it doesn’t always happen. If you start chasing your cuts and going deeper to connect them you run the risk of changing your felling direction which may be very bad depending on the situation.

If that saw is from the Port Hardy area then it’s very possible it was used for big timber. Lining up your cuts on oversized trees can be difficult especially if you’re new to falling big wood and people have a habit of dropping low on their bottom cut. Better to knock it out with your axe and just clean it up instead of chasing the cut and changing your felling direction.

Obviously I know nothing about the saw or what it was used for but it does seem like they used it for popping out the undercut which we know can cause major damage.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only have mostly smaller trees to fell and not in a production setting at all just stuff I need to take down for myself so if it’s big it will take me awhile just because I try to line cuts up well but definitely will admit they don’t always come perfect but I would never pry with my saw