STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not the hammer more so the type of hammer .Something like a dead blow or lead certainly not a 7 pound sledge . No big ball peen or brass . BTW the heat cool method is exactly the way both Stihl and Partner recommend if you don't have a case puller .

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will be replacing the handle on a 201t soon, I think a service manual for that would be helpful if anyone can send me one.

Thanks

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW the heat cool method is exactly the way both Stihl and Partner recommend if you don't have a case puller .

Stihl was also pretty big on pressing, prying and pounding when it came to the more delicate/subtle aspects of working on cases. LOL

Stihl PPP.jpg

Last edited:

BrettL

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon y'all. I'll be looking at this saw this evening. Does it look legit as far as you can tell from the pics, i.e. not a clone? Anything specific on this model that I should look at? I'll be pulling the muffler and testing it with the air filter on.lol Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG952282.jpg
    IMG952282.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG952281.jpg
    IMG952281.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 28

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl was also pretty big on pressing, prying and pounding when it came to the more delicate/subtle aspects of working on cases. LOL

I'm not much for thumping on anything especially on a heat shrink fit .I have lightly tapped with a plastic headed thumper like the one in the picture .Usually if the pocket has enough heat on it long enough it opens up .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon y'all. I'll be looking at this saw this evening. Does it look legit as far as you can tell from the pics, i.e. not a clone? Anything specific on this model that I should look at? I'll be pulling the muffler and testing it with the air filter on.lol Thanks everyone

Looks legit to me. There isn't much available in the aftermarket arena for 661 other than engine parts (cylinders and pistons mainly). There haven't been any 661 clones made yet that I'm aware of, but I'm sure there will be eventually.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've got a couple of these HD filters and the rubber gasket is deteriorating, is it possible to purchase a new rubber gasket or is this more of a home fix?20210314_114725.jpg 20210314_114729.jpg

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure they're integral to the frame on those. There used to be a separate one for earlier style filters that you may be able to find. Not sure how it'd fit with those frames, but may actually be what's on them now..., or should I say what's left of them? Are those wire mesh filters?

Gasket.jpg

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure they're integral to he frame on those. There used to be a separate one for earlier style filters that you may be able to find. Not sure how it'd fit with those frames, but may actually be what's on them now..., or should I saw what's left of them? Are those wire mesh filters?

Yes steel wire with what looks like yellow or tan paper inside of that.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a pleated metal one in my 066.

The extra gasket in the illustration is for the filter base itself and not for the filter. Just checked my early flat top and the molding on the filter matches up nicely with the filter base gasket for a tight seal in such an arrangement. The gaskets were eliminated in later filter bases and I believe the filters may have then gone from a single to a double rib molding to make up for it. That's what's on my 044 without the gasket in the filter base.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tha
I have a pleated metal one in my 066.

The extra gasket in the illustration is for the filter base itself and not for the filter. Just checked my early flat top and the molding on the filter matches up nicely with the filter base gasket for a tight seal in such an arrangement. The gaskets were eliminated in later filter bases and I believe the filters may have then gone from a single to a double rib molding to make up for it. That's what's on my 044 without the gasket in the filter base.
That separate gasket is on my 044 also.
I think I get creative and try some thin o-ring material or something on the 2 hd filters that I cleaned.
I did install an Outerwear cover on both my ms441 and the 044 and am pretty pleased with the ease of blowing them off now.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately I saw the same issue on a 661. I think it’s more the fault of the quarter turn twist lock. The 461 didn’t seem to have a issue with the conventional screw. I wonder if there is a way to convert it from 1/4 turn to a conventional screw?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately I saw the same issue on a 661. I think it’s more the fault of the quarter turn twist lock. The 461 didn’t seem to have a issue with the conventional screw. I wonder if there is a way to convert it from 1/4 turn to a conventional screw?

Convert it to a 461 threaded filter mount, go with a MaxFlo setup and don't look back.