STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
F445E6F0-FDF9-46AA-81C5-F05C6F2E0393.jpeg 13EA0581-8B86-44CC-A327-A11EC9B07E27.jpeg A393F2D7-E24E-4EA8-B494-726D1F30EE35.jpeg Guy gave me this for cutting a few holes in the ice so he could jack up his boathouse. It’s blown up but I’m certain the cylinder will be just fine. Way it smells old gas got it but obliviously I’ll give it a good go over when putting new piston in

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the old days we asked ridiculously rich fuel mixes to be the safeguard against friction and heat related damage..., at less RPM's in designs with much greater mass for heat dissipation and a much greater degree of forgiveness for poor operating conditions and shoddy (if any) maintenance. Debris ingestion was pretty much normal.

These days we ask electronic control modules to do the protective and optimization stuff at 14,000 RPMs totally dependent on the air/fuel/RPM relationship being controlled by a very fast counting technology..., prone to incorrect adjustments and learned performance compensation from lousy fuel, lousy mix oil, clogged air filters, and debris ingestion from both the air intake and the fuel system. And that doesn't even include operator abuse by those who fail to understand the actual complexity of today's chainsaw technology..., which is actually quite frail compared to designs of just 20 or so years ago.

Lots of smoke no longer represents that wonderful 2 stroke safety net of days gone by.

Today it means your saw just said goodbye.
I agree that the digital controls are definitely more sensitive to debris and fuel quality, and that would certainly cause some tuning dilemmas for the ecu . Which I think would shut the saw down but I think what the face book post was implying was that the piston and cylinder are toast because of bad filtration.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t believe the air filter lets enough stuff through to destroy an engine. The 500 seals on the round so all the stuff on the flat behind the filter means nothing. The tree service has a 500i with probably 120 hours on it by now and I’d be willing to bet the air filter may have been cleaned 1-2 times besides me cleaning it once. But wouldn’t be surprised if I did it the only time.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t believe the air filter lets enough stuff through to destroy an engine.
Stihl themselves initially denied a warranty claim that was submitted (by me) on a 661C-M with a big end bearing failure blaming intake ingestion and operator error (failing to properly secure the filtration system). And while their position was pure bullsh!t in this particular case, I have certainly seen my share of loose filters letting fines past the baffle in the later style HD setup. Only takes a hinky twist lock or losing the rubber 'O' ring gasket on the post to render what little seal there actually is fairly ineffective.

While some minor evidence of fines getting past the filtration could have been interpreted as being present on the intake side of the piston in this 661, Herndon was eventually convinced of catastrophic component failure of the big end bearing itself being why the saw self destructed. They ended up honoring the claim after all the parts were sent to them for analysis.

Still, they initially blamed their own filtration system for the complete destruction of the saw's bottom end.

Last edited:

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl MS660

I scored a nice MS660 the other day. Cleaning it up now and inspecting it. All original and piston looks good. Pretty clean saw so far. It’s a dang beast with that 36” bar on it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
9c520da56c785fe12285a0054bbeaec1.jpg

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Repainted the recoil and clutch cover. . Cleaned up pretty nice.

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They are a flanged bar nut. I have a couple hundred if you need some.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are a flanged bar nut. I have a couple hundred if you need some.

Well to be honest I have had s couple stihls with the plastic clutch covers and have never seen them.
Are they a stihl part or aftermarket ?