MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple of Stihl I acquired .

The 311 was dad's, he hated that saw , said it's hard to start , I swapped another saw for it .

The 170 a guy brought me 2 to fix , one was repairable this one seal damaged it , I ordered a cheap cylinder kit and new bar and chain and also got rid of the non adjustable carb, mod the muffler and tank vent..added a little time to it ,,, it made a fine little saw runs freaking great for a little cheap saw ,
Turned a little pos saw into a usable piece of equipment.
d94eb982fd41efcde47ab0336a86d079.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was in reguards to the filtration system or more importantly the lack of one. And a guy claiming that he is on his 3rd burnt 500i warrenty redeemed saw.

I put vasoline on the base of my filter and a washer on top from the start. Haven't had problems. Maybe I needed it, maybe I didn't.

When I was milling yesterday I even pushed that filter cover though the saw dust that was building up for a good foot and half before I noticed and cleared it's way.

People are claiming the filter is "so bad" but it's literally the same set up as the 661 and you still see guys running them with stock filters. It's not the best but it still works.

I think alot of it is buyers regret. I can blame some dealers aswell saying that it will do everything a 661 will do, which is simply not true. One of the workers at my dealerships even tried that on me aswell and I've heard other people's dealers said the same to them.

My little ported chinese 660 still outruns it so I know a 661 still has more to it than the 500i.

This is by no means saying it's weak. It still is a strong running saw and the biggest thing that I love is it's lighter than the 660. Like way lighter.

Last edited:

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you missed what I was saying.

Basically why is the 500i failing due to filtration but the 661 isn't. Never said it was good I mean I litterally have vasoline on bottom and a washer on top to keep it pressed down tight. So far doing that I've seen no fines in the intake.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. I am shocked to hear that about 500i.

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just asked the question here b/c....

A: There's a ton more people knowledgeable than I am concerning saws here.
B: I don't own one. I'm stuck with my 390xp. And that's fine for me right meow.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hooray 390xp. Lots of folks wish they were stuck with one. LOL

I'm just curious about the details related to your posts. It wasn't very clear what/who you were talking about or ultimately trying to get across. Still isn't.

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's been a lot of "talk" about the sloppy av set up or weak springs without enough beef in them. As well as filtration. My question is aiming at whether or not this enough for Stihl to trip on its laces and pull a recall for what is definitely there flagship model? Not shiitting on Stihl. Just trying to ask question to much more knowledgeable / experienced folks.