Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's been a lot of "talk" about the sloppy av set up or weak springs without enough beef in them. As well as filtration. My question is aiming at whether or not this enough for Stihl to trip on its laces and pull a recall for what is definitely there flagship model? Not shiitting on Stihl. Just trying to ask question to much more knowledgeable / experienced folks.

Sloppy AV is probably because because of european saws running shorter bars. The sloppy AV really comes out with longer bars like 32" or more. The AV feels just a little weaker than my 372. I have a 28" lightweight on the 500 and it doesn't bother me that much. With my 36" it's quite noticeable though.

The air filter is what id call dated but it still does work. But air injection has become a sought after thing with good reason.

I don't see stihl doing a recall on them for those "issues".

Just so long as it mechanically holds together they won't recall it.

Ps. 390 is a great saw. I wouldn't say "stuck with it"

Last edited:

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s just my opinion. But the 500i is not a milling saw. It’s made real light so you don’t work as hard carrying it. In other words, no mass to it. You need mass (lots of metal) to help dissipate the high heat generated on a sawmill. 088 has MASS. 500i DOES NOT. If you said a fellow burned up his 500i milling I would find that very easy to believe.

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
041AV restoration
b28ab6551f55a4c943416e35261414ba.jpg

Completed
d725fd2bdc6f9b3841ab8d59912e0b91.jpg

b0a77a73cd23a9145e63dd9df3535e12.jpg

7b92f9e9ca7753f9b99bb6a0f7b6aad5.jpg

d182ee86230dde7c39a6a81e067a57a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just trying to ask question to much more knowledgeable / experienced folks.

There's merit to some of the more common criticisms..., all of which are easily remedied. The real issues will be longevity in the frame, a/v and the injection setup -- with the injectors already having a troublesome and well documented history with the TS500i akin to the initial solenoid/ECM nightmare with the M-tronic rollout.

I highly doubt a recall on any Stihl product just because of bumps in the road with a particular model unless willful negligence related to safety issues are alleged or proven in court proceedings.

In the meantime, dealers will keep eating warranty time fixing product design issues while critics and happy customers alike continue to rage on.

Last edited:

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It’s a foam insulation tube used to insulate copper in AC units

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ll probably put it up for sale when I get enough posts to allow me to list in classified

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to use that stuff on the old 10-10 Macs that rattled so bad after five minutes you lost the feelings in your hands .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I know is that a saw motor can ingest quite a bit of wood material before crapping out.
I mean what this person is claiming is that super fine particles of highly combustible material are ruining his saws?
I've got a few resuces(that are great running)of Stihl,Husqvarna,Poulan, and mac that prove that flat out wrong!
If this kind of trolling dissuade people from buying it they probably wouldn't have got it in the first place, if history has taught us anything though ,if you can make an opinion or myth popular enough it must be true!

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I know is that a saw motor can ingest quite a bit of wood material before crapping out.
I mean what this person is claiming is that super fine particles of highly combustible material are ruining his saws?
I've got a few resuces(that are great running)of Stihl,Husqvarna,Poulan, and mac that prove that flat out wrong!
If this kind of trolling dissuade people from buying it they probably wouldn't have got it in the first place, if history has taught us anything though ,if you can make an opinion or myth popular enough it must be true!
You make a good point that old saws ( with the most awful) filtration are continuing to run. And are most certainly burning up a bunch of fine combustible particles. I have a bunch of old saws. Some of them look (on the outside) like I should have left them on the trash heap. But inside, almost without fail , is a perfect 50 year old cylinder, and almost as common you will find pistons with the machine marks still visible on them. More oil in the mix? Sure. No ethanol? You bet. Better air filtration? Negative. I can say from what I’ve seen air filtration is overrated.
I mean I agree the best available is whet we should use. But one of the machines I have (Solo Rex) has an OEM air filter setup that was obviously designed to stop SAWDUST. That’s it. Everything else can pass. And this machine and another parts saw like it have perfect pistons and cylinders with tremendous compression. Go figure . I’m rambling , good night

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

No trolling here. Just looking for more honest Information than would be found on thee òle glorified soapbox of BookFace.

Joahua

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No trolling here. Just looking for more honest Information than would be found on thee òle glorified soapbox of BookFace.

Joahua
I didnt mean you were trolling, the person on bookface is though.
So in response to your O.P. , this FB post is completely BS.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The early flat style air filters obviously are not as effective as later more modern types . However if you want to compare try a concrete saw air filtration system to a chainsaw type .Even so I have a fair amount of older saws with flat filters that are 50-60 years old and seem to run just fine .It's hard to say how much dust they may have eaten in that time .Probably enough to make a pick up truck full of chipboard if not more .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the old days we asked ridiculously rich fuel mixes to be the safeguard against friction and heat related damage..., at less RPM's in designs with much greater mass for heat dissipation and a much greater degree of forgiveness for poor operating conditions and shoddy (if any) maintenance. Debris ingestion was pretty much normal.

These days we ask electronic control modules to do the protective and optimization stuff at 14,000 RPMs totally dependent on the air/fuel/RPM relationship being controlled by a very fast counting technology..., prone to incorrect adjustments and learned performance compensation from lousy fuel, lousy mix oil, clogged air filters, and debris ingestion from both the air intake and the fuel system. And that doesn't even include operator abuse by those who fail to understand the actual complexity of today's chainsaw technology..., which is actually quite frail compared to designs of just 20 or so years ago.

Lots of smoke no longer represents that wonderful 2 stroke safety net of days gone by.

Today it means your saw just said goodbye.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well you can kick the can down the road forever about oil and mix ratios .True the oil is better and 16 to 1 ratio is overly rich but by the same token 50 to 1 is rather lean in my way of thinking .Having said that I'm not going to argue about what somebody else runs in their own saws, makes me no difference . Not my saws .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was talking about the evolution of the technology being less forgiving these days..., not debating or arguing anything.