STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20200905_155832.jpg 20200905_155840.jpg 20200905_155853.jpg Here's a interesting discovery to me. The farmertech 046 handle fits my 038 super AV ? Needed a slight bend at the tank mount where the oem handle is bent. It was incredibly easy to bend as the quality of the handle isn't that great and I was more worried about breaking it , but after the bolts are all in it stiffened up. The bolt holes line right up, I used the factory ones on the bottom of the handle.

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the Stihl thread.
Why are 660 saws so popular when stock for stock the 661 is arguably flat out better?

I've just been following the market a little and its hard to justify a 1k used saw when $1300 puts a 661 in the truck.

Personally I don't need either and will likely wait for the 500i just because its so versatile.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose if I was gonna spend the money, it would be the new saw.
The fact when anything goes "discontinued "the price goes up, cars, jewelry and motorcycles all become "vintage" or desirable due to its limited production time or availability, saws included.
The fact remains that if you don't have the skills or time to build a 20$ junk saw you'll pay ,weather its better or not is merely an opinion.
I don't have 1000.00 to spend on a current saw but if your lifestyle permits have fun and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
I'm currently working on a 23.00 ms441 for myself.

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose if I was gonna spend the money, it would be the new saw.
The fact when anything goes "discontinued "the price goes up, cars, jewelry and motorcycles all become "vintage" or desirable due to its limited production time or availability, saws included.
The fact remains that if you don't have the skills or time to build a 20$ junk saw you'll pay ,weather its better or not is merely an opinion.
I don't have 1000.00 to spend on a current saw but if your lifestyle permits have fun and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
I'm currently working on a 23.00 ms441 for myself.
Yeah honestly it's a bit of cabin fever on my end. I got by with a Poulan Pro 335 for many years. But got bit by the bug so who knows where it takes me.

Steve is gonna StumpShotSpecial my 372 so I have the 40-70cc spread well covered. But I'd like something with more ass just because.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm totally BIT by the chainsaw bug!
I understand the feeling.
I wanted to hold out till I found the right saw for serious money , I got a number of a man who closed his saw shop after 40 years and he had an 088 good runner.
That was my big purchase and I don't regret it!
My feeling was if my big saw need was gonna be expensive I might as well satisfy it with the baddest of them all.
I probably use my super 028 more but anything over 40" DBH gets the big 088.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even a stock 036 cylinder will be an improvement for an 034 AV . I had one that Kevin (Cut for fun ) ended up with with a Meteor piston .I don't remember what I did with it other than my usual gut the muffler deal .At the moment I have an 034 super which is in effect the same as an 036 ,larger bore .It's kind of a back burner project but I'll gt on it some time .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've just been following the market a little and its hard to justify a 1k used saw when $1300 puts a 661 in the truck.
Some guys still want conventional carbs and ignitions. A strong stock 066 with 24"~36" bar should be half that if you're patient and shop around..., or build your own from a tired clapper. I've rebuilt and run both and am not ashamed of my old 066 flat top by any means. I have all of around $700 into it including a 36" b/c setup

When a 661 quits running, you're screwed unless you understand the M-tronic system better that your nearest dealer (who may or may not even have a clue anyway). You always have options and easier troubleshooting with a conventionally carb'd saw even if you only have limited mechanical ability.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far I haven't needed to resort to decomp valves .I have however several saws that wear a D-handle and a Stihl Ms 200T with an elasto start .Even a little saw can come back on you with a surprising amount of kick .

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 191t is a little biter until it's been run once. Decomp might have made sense.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I like the decomp, especially on the pop up piston saw 036.and the 088.
I have noticed that storing the saw with a decomp pushed in makes for easier starts with out it trying to rip my fingers off

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I was in at my Stihl dealer yesterday (he is one of the biggest dealers in the South Island of NZ) and he was saying that although NZ represents just under 2 percent of Stihl's global sales, per capita we have the highest sales and usage of Stihl products anywhere in the world. Apparently there are over 8 Stihl items (anything with a serial number) per male aged over 18 here in NZ! Quite amazing given that we only have a population of just over 5 million. We are also the only country in the world where, due to our favorable laws, we have dedicated 'Stihl' branded shops, these are dedicated licensed 'Stihl Shops' not just a dealer.

Pioneer

Old Saw
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything like this ignition there. Not sure 075 or 051, has 075 Cylinder, needs an ignition
It's been sitting on the shelf for a couple years. Time to check it out.IMG_2838.JPGIMG_2840.JPG

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I was in at my Stihl dealer yesterday (he is one of the biggest dealers in the South Island of NZ) and he was saying that although NZ represents just under 2 percent of Stihl's global sales, per capita we have the highest sales and usage of Stihl products anywhere in the world. Apparently there are over 8 Stihl items (anything with a serial number) per male aged over 18 here in NZ! Quite amazing given that we only have a population of just over 5 million. We are also the only country in the world where, due to our favorable laws, we have dedicated 'Stihl' branded shops, these are dedicated licensed 'Stihl Shops' not just a dealer.
I don't understand the difference between "shops" and dealers? And what favorable laws permit such?

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't understand the difference between "shops" and dealers? And what favorable laws permit such?
The shop itself is branded 'Stihl' and there is a limited range of products they are permitted to sell apart from Stihl. So instead of a dealer, which may have other products, these are as 'Stihl' as you can get. I understand that as Stihl is privately owned they are very careful as to countries laws, and I understand that in most countries if they used the model as they do in NZ, the laws would require them to open their books, which they are loath to do because they are privately owned, if that makes sense.
Screenshot_20200919-131811_Maps.jpg