DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Allanb8d

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotcha, I'll mess with the custom down the road.

Another question, are the tabs on the muffler supposed to be there? One of them is rattling.

20210523_234236.jpg

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Gotcha, I'll mess with the custom down the road.
You may find it balances better with that forward cant. Especially with a longer bar.
Looking at the saw from above you can see it is inline with the starter side, straight across the side.
Very nice saw. I've got one payment left on mine from @dolmarkid . It's like the Christmas eve and I'm 9 yo all over again.

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gettin’ er dirty. Just an update, shoutout to Eduardo for posting the comparison photos of this to an ms290 farmboss. I ran a farmboss for years and thought I had the world by the tail... I had this ported by Tree Monkey coupled with a 28” stihl mount Tsumara bar and Husqvarana H82 square ground full skip chisel chain, and wow! This thing rips and is smooth as can be! The power to weight ratio is phemoninal. No more round filed chain for me and no bending over. I will purchase a square grinder if I cannot sharpen this chain. Scott does awesome work and shoutout to Whilhelm for providing authentic
Dolmar emblems.510F0C4A-1674-4BFD-A1DD-8C056F9DBA38.jpeg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gettin’ er dirty. Just an update, shoutout to Eduardo for posting the comparison photos of this to an ms290 farmboss. I ran a farmboss for years and thought I had the world by the tail... I had this ported by Tree Monkey coupled with a 28” stihl mount Tsumara bar and Husqvarana H82 square ground full skip chisel chain, and wow! This thing rips and is smooth as can be! The power to weight ratio is phemoninal. No more round filed chain for me and no bending over. I will purchase a square grinder if I cannot sharpen this chain. Scott does awesome work and shoutout to Whilhelm for providing authentic
Dolmar emblems.View attachment 295765
You are very welcome! :)

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20" is a lot of length for this saw, IMHO much to nose-heavy.
I use 15" on my PS-5000 which I find a perfect combination.
Blocking lumber like shown in the pics I'd use a stronger saw
just for the fun of it
I have an MS261c. It is my go to saw at work for multiple tasks. Makes me want to buy another. I probably will. I use it on the ground for limbing to light falling. Also sees action in the tree for removal work on the spars. It is the only saw I use when riding the ball doing crane work, until I get into the big wood. I put a LW 20'' Sugi on her. It's a perfect match. I'm not sure about the comparisons of the 261 and the 5000 but weight wise I'd bet they are real close. I usually go for LWs when baring a saw. It's well worth it in MHO.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20" is a lot of length for this saw, IMHO much to nose-heavy.
I use 15" on my PS-5000 which I find a perfect combination.
Blocking lumber like shown in the pics I'd use a stronger saw
just for the fun of it
No argument there, 20" B&C is too much for this unit balance wise.
Power wise she handles 20" like a champ being XS ported.

When I purchased the saw from Steve I was thrown off by the 64DL for the 18" B&C since 68DL is what I have in 18" - that made me go for the 20"/72DL.

I now have a Dolmar and a Husqvarna 18" 64DL bar that I may mount on my EA5000, problem is they don't say "Makita" on them - and I don't have a single chain in 64DL. ;)

Just today I was contemplating to make a set of "kickstand" spikes to counteract the nose heavyness of this saw with a 20" laminate bar. :)

P.S./Edit:
Usually stronger saws are being utilized to buck the firewood logs I have, last Friday was an off day!
Today I utilized my Dolmar PS-6400 to buck and noodle my firewood logs - such an underrated saw!!! :cool:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Let me add to my earlier post, my 261 felt a bit nose heavy with a std 18'' bar. Since I wanted a longer bar to ride the ball with I grabbed the LW. This combo balances better than the 18''er. So light, nimble, and powerful!