Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm new/er to 2-stroke mechanics. Does blow by not reduce compression? I thought blow by was due to excessive ring wear.
In the 4-stroke world this would include the cylinder as to it's not plated.
I am asking this question seriously with no sarcasm. Looking to be enlightened if I'm missing something here.
Yes, blow by is due to piston ring wear and the SD105 features only one.
And yes, blow by will affect compression, power, starting the engine.
But these little machines can take a lot of abuse and wear, they are simply old school Magnesium built to last.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had an ongoing problem with my big CT in that it would start easily but then run erratically. Tried various things over a couple of years and then let it sit for awhile until a new idea and spare time came up. Figured it was ignition when the tachometer would only read half speed when it acted up.

Two coils and an isolated kill switch seemed to work for a short time.
8f7d3fea3f77b0ac66971895a09900e5.jpg

I then learned that the ignition from an 070 was essentially the same and I could get a cheap clone to try. So I put that on and it ran but couldn’t get the timing right. While pulling out the trigger unit I found the problem.
dc7be42a7c97f95008a3aa3c45febedd.jpg

Fixed this and back together again but still wouldn’t run past 3400rpm.

Next learned that the older ignition from a CX had points and would fit. A year later I put that in using timing marks from the CD ignition. The old girl started on the second pull and doesn’t miss a lick at any speed.
I may have to retard the timing a little as it has a kick back habit when starting. But it runs!
8d07e00eb2be4b5e2cc3ae2de3f9a93b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,
this thread is in a bad need for a bump, I'd think.

Since I don't have any current Dolmar-related projects that are seeing any progress,
I've looked for some older pics which might look interesting:

114-working.jpg

This is my SACHS-DOLMAR 114, my oldest genuine SACHS-DOLMAR saw. As common with these old ones there is no type-plate showing year of manufacturing but inside the fuel tank (which is not glued but consists of two bolted semi shells) there is the year "78" embossed. Thats thear the model was introduced and mine may be assembled that very year or early 1979.

The saw in exceptionally good shape as the pics show: No painting was done, only the label in the rear handle is a new replacement (not yet applied in all pictures). The colour scheme of the hoods is original for the early 114:
It was the model for the professional lumber workers introduced some months after the very similar 112, which was positioned as a farmer's saw. The 114 had a little more horsepower, an electronic ignition and a tool-less accessible air-filter as opposed to the 112, which had pointed ignition and a one-piece cylindar and air-filter hood: To clean the air filter, one had to use a screwdriver and undo 3 screws. With the 114, no tool at all was needed. To make this difference significant, the air-filter cover was made in different color than the hood it sits on.

This distinction only applies to the early models. In later production years, the 114's hoods became all black and the 112's became two-part just like the early 114.

114_lh.jpg

114_rh.jpg

114_lf.jpg

Another notable difference to later models is the wrap handle: It is significantly less wide to the left then its later successors.
See the 114 on the left and a 50 and 112 right to it, both latter saws a couple of years younger and sporting a much wider wrap handle.

wraphandles.jpg

[Edit: Changed line 1 to read "bump" instead of "bounce"]

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,
this thread is in a bad need for a bump, I'd think.

Since I don't have any current Dolmar-related projects that are seeing any progress,
I've looked for some older pics which might look interesting:

View attachment 292871

This is my SACHS-DOLMAR 114, my oldest genuine SACHS-DOLMAR saw. As common with these old ones there is no type-plate showing year of manufacturing but inside the fuel tank (which is not glued but consists of two bolted semi shells) there is the year "78" embossed. Thats thear the model was introduced and mine may be assembled that very year or early 1979.

The saw in exceptionally good shape as the pics show: No painting was done, only the label in the rear handle is a new replacement (not yet applied in all pictures). The colour scheme of the hoods is original for the early 114:
It was the model for the professional lumber workers introduced some months after the very similar 112, which was positioned as a farmer's saw. The 114 had a little more horsepower, an electronic ignition and a tool-less accessible air-filter as opposed to the 112, which had pointed ignition and a one-piece cylindar and air-filter hood: To clean the air filter, one had to use a screwdriver and undo 3 screws. With the 114, no tool at all was needed. To make this difference significant, the air-filter cover was made in different color than the hood it sits on.

This distinction only applies to the early models. In later production years, the 114's hoods became all black and the 112's became two-part just like the early 114.

View attachment 292875

View attachment 292874

View attachment 292873

Another notable difference to later models is the wrap handle: It is significantly less wide to the left then its later successors.
See the 114 on the left and a 50 and 112 right to it, both latter saws a couple of years younger and sporting a much wider wrap handle.

View attachment 292872

[Edit: Changed line 1 to read "bump" instead of "bounce"]
She's a beauty for sure! :cool:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of them. Going to clean it up and list it on craigslist or something.
They have their small to mediocre issues, but damn they are nearly indistructable!
I have a nostalgic sweet spot for them! :)

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
They have their small to mediocre issues, but damn they are nearly indistructable!
I have a nostalgic sweet spot for them! :)
I bought this one at an auction. Fired right up. Missing that plastic cover on the back. I gave it away. They gave it back unused a year later. I'm getting to many saws. Its on the to go list.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this one at an auction. Fired right up. Missing that plastic cover on the back. I gave it away. They gave it back unused a year later. I'm getting to many saws. Its on the to go list.
Somebody give this gem a good home! :(

That plastic cover on the back is merely a spark plug cover, this saw will work perfectly fine without it! ;)

It is a 40cc engine with 1.7kW/2.1HP, unlimited coil, full MG case, NOT a clamshell, but open port cylinder, single piston ring!
It is a well thought through design with good characteristics! :)

Someone save this girl from a grim destiny! :confused: