Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read that PA is around 59% woodland 16.7 million acres. I'm keeping my 395. And 7900 and a few more.
Here in CT we're looking at the same percentage. I believe just under 60%. This state is way, way smaller though. Lol

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read that PA is around 59% woodland 16.7 million acres. I'm keeping my 395. And 7900 and a few more.

They don't call it Penn's Woods for nothing. I can't believe how much 30" plus stuff I have on this place.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Iowa is only 5.4% according to the wiki chart but I live in the southern 1/2 of the state. The northern 1/2 is way more barren of forest compared to south 1/2 and the river areas on either side of the state.

Michigan Escapee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, one of the odd features of the plains states, if you wanna find a river, creek, flood prone area, or wetland, look for the trees over the sea of corn. :D

Most farmsteads had at least a basic shelterbelt of trees to prevent the wind blowing. and farther west, they even toyed with the massive shelterbelts after the dustbowl.

Scott-Olsen-Graphics-015.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plains_Shelterbelt

Of course, the later is pretty much toast, they used fast growing trees, and now they're mostly dead/dying because they're over 80.

Anyway, the depressing chart shows the reality.

Figure-26b.jpg

All that nice grey corn desert. lol! The green pinpricks are the actual forests. Which means, winter wind chills get crazy from 50-60 mph wind gusts, and orange cargo nets are out along the intersections to catch some of the drifting snow.

Another map gives you some idea of what's going on, its a carbon capture map rather than just a forest map.

family_forests_2_map.jpg

and just for giggles, types of trees predominating, assorted vegetation

rmrs_gtr087_pg35.jpg

Michigan Escapee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol! You'd have to have to data mine by looking through photos of various get togethers around heavily wooded regions of the country, counting the saws of each type, and then work from that. Adding to the confusion, the mixes of various brands say poulan/husqvarna/jonesred makita/dolmar, etc.

And if you wanted to figure out the trends, of more sales or less sales, then you'd want to do that across multiple years.

Certainly you'd be getting some selection bias as the majority of saws are going to be use it a few times, throw it away brands/prices, and then saws where a business just buys tons and tons of em, usually of similar brands.

Craigslist/ebay data mining might be another way to do it. Search for a certain brand of chainsaw to be sold, and you'd get some idea of market saturation levels. Or just collect the area information from where sales are originating.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But then you have to deal with outliers like the heavy concentration of Dolmars in the Amish community. And so on.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm about to thin the herd a little, but I'd pick that up in heartbeat, if it's in good shape. I don't have a 60cc Dolmar. Yet...

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think it would be a long wait.
Your probably right but by then just imagine what a new epa compliance saw would look like. And I would have a fresh 6100 that would probably last the restof my life.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow that is almost to good to be true. Sure am glad I don't have any friends up there to check it out. $350 would be hard to pass up even if it would just sit on the shelf waiting for my first one to die. Lol

It's a great deal but your a bit closer than me if I was you I would make some friends up thee quickly