POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar had the power-sharp version of the micros as well. Named it "SACHS-DOLMAR hobby 101 super".
That early power-sharp gimmick, like the current one needed as special shaped saw chain AFAIK.
I happened to find such a chain in brand new condition some time ago,
now I'm missing the saw to match the chain. Are these grinding stones still available?
Usually they went AWOL on old the saws

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Roper and McCulloch had them as well. Maybe others too.

Poulan also had Power sharp in the 306 SA and the 245 SA.

Poulan rebranded saws for at least 36 different companies so there are likely quite a few power sharp models in different colors out there

Last edited:

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got a 3400 that I picked up for 100$. It was not running when I got it. I did all the usual stuff to it. Rebuilt carb changed out all the fuel lines and put a new plug in it. It fired RIGHT up and would start on first pull. went to cut some wood and everything was going good till it bogged down and stopped. I cranked and cranked. Nothing but one pop.The spark did not look too good so I replaced the coil and still getting the same thing. It will not do anything. Have checked the compression on it and it has 120 psi. I checked the flywheel to make sure the key did not break and it did not. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong with this saw. I am at a loss.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I might have figured out the problem. Before the saw quit it had gas leaking from the gas cap. I put a o-ring on the cap and it quit leaking . So today when I was removing the carb I noticed gas coming out of the gas line. I straightened out the line and held it straight up above the Saw and gas was coming out of it. I remover the o-ring and tested it again. gas did not come out of the line. So my thinking is I blocked a vent hole for the tank with the o=ring. Will know tomorrow after I put it all back together.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I might have figured out the problem. Before the saw quit it had gas leaking from the gas cap. I put a o-ring on the cap and it quit leaking . So today when I was removing the carb I noticed gas coming out of the gas line. I straightened out the line and held it straight up above the Saw and gas was coming out of it. I remover the o-ring and tested it again. gas did not come out of the line. So my thinking is I blocked a vent hole for the tank with the o=ring. Will know tomorrow after I put it all back together.
The vent line should be driiled in the top of that tank?

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You need to read this manual start to finish. Short and one of the best repair manuals.

https://app.box.com/s/326l10jokbvaqxudjbr0

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not see anything about a duck bill check valve on the vent line. I guess thats why my tank is building so much pressure and flooding the carb. We will test and see. Thank you for the info

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it now runs. Removed the check valve from the vent nipple put a new plug in it and it fired right up. I guess thats why the previous owner got rid of the saw. I have a check valve on it when I got it. I guess Poulan figured that someone would not run the saw upside down. Thank you Mr Fossil.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it now runs. Removed the check valve from the vent nipple put a new plug in it and it fired right up. I guess thats why the previous owner got rid of the saw. I have a check valve on it when I got it. I guess Poulan figured that someone would not run the saw upside down. Thank you Mr Fossil.

It should have the check valve. I needs to be pointing down inside the tank. Make sure the valve opens when you pinch the end,

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My was in the tank. beats me.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The valve was opening when you pinch it. I bought some of the expensive valves on line . Like 12$ for 4 of them. I can not figure out why my tank was building pressure. Got a new cap on the way.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The duckbill valve is a one way/check valve intended to prevent a vacuum in the tank. The tank will always build some pressure when the saw warms up, they are designed to work that way. The pressure should be less than the pop off pressure of the metering needle and they should not leak or flood as a result.

Many fuel caps (McCulloch 10 Series for example) include a spring relief to vent the pressure if it becomes excessive but many more (most modern saws) do not have those kinds of provisions.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Poulan rebranded saws for at least 36 different companies so there are likely quite a few power sharp models in different colors out there " --How true that is .Probably the most copied chain saws of all time are the Homelite XL 12 and the Poulan S 25 DA .designs .Fact is many are still in running condition some 40 years since they were made .Every bit as tough as a 10-10 McCulloch .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An option for the 3400 - 4000 saws is a piece of fuel line that fits snuggly in the tank vent hole and an Echo type check valve.

You still need to stuff it back of the saw case behind the tank just like the original line.

echo check valve.jpg

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any thoughts on a value of a 5200? I'm currently rebuilding one, have lost interest and wondering how far I should take the project. Basically do I repaint it and do decals? It's already got new bearings, seals, piston etc.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any thoughts on a value of a 5200? I'm currently rebuilding one, have lost interest and wondering how far I should take the project. Basically do I repaint it and do decals? It's already got new bearings, seals, piston etc.
You might change your mind about it after y0u've run the rebuilt version.