Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Revived a little Craftsman 2.1PS today.
New fuel line, spark plug, cleaned carb.
Popped right off and ran nice.
Sat outside in a junk pile for a good long while.
Still got the Powersharp stone intact. Worn some from use, but still there. No chain unfortunately.
This one is 1/4" pitch.
Gotta hunt around for a chain or swap it to 3/8" LP.
Pics tomorrow. Had to fix a leak in the tank where someone put a helicoil in for the lower recoil cover bolt, so its sitting upside down right now.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is an early version of the S25 DA I think being 2,1 cu inch . The later were 2,3 .It was sold in every color of the rainbow . Nearly bullet proof little things .As a point of interest Oregon at one time sold 1/4" chain in chisel ,both full comp and skip . Ralph Nadar threw a fit and had it taken off the market .
The later model of 2.3 cubic inch was the first new saw I ever bought around 1975 under the Dayton name in Allis Chalmers orange .Still have it and it still runs just fine . I've never tached it but some claim around 11,000 RPM . Good little old saw .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If someone gets it I'll double your money and pay shipping.

Mark

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember taking one of those saws apart when I was a kid. My dad ended up throwing it in the scrap pile. Never new what make it was. Didn't have that power sharp thing either. What's that do?
The Powersharp thing was a gimmick to sell saws for Poulan and Sears.
There is a curved abrasive stone in the clutch cover that can be rotated over and made to contact the top of the chain cutting tooth.
Would technically "sharpen" it, but wouldnt touch the side or the "gullet" area of the chain at all.
Mostly, it makes it hard to set the saw over on its clutch cover to refill the oil tank, because the casting for the Powersharp protrudes out past where it really should.
They were playing the angle that most homeowners dont understand what actually goes into sharpenning a saw chain.
I just gave this saw to my nephew today.
He is getting into tree work to supplement his landscaping/lawn care business.
He took it straight up in the lift with him.
Said it had more snort than the nearly new Stihl top handle he has.
Granted, he didnt buy an MS 201.
Was one of the smaller, lower grade saws.
The old Poulan top handles are stout for their size and weight.
Maybe I'll just give him a non-Powersharp clutch cover and call it good...

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is an early version of the S25 DA I think being 2,1 cu inch . The later were 2,3 .It was sold in every color of the rainbow . Nearly bullet proof little things .As a point of interest Oregon at one time sold 1/4" chain in chisel ,both full comp and skip . Ralph Nadar threw a fit and had it taken off the market .
The later model of 2.3 cubic inch was the first new saw I ever bought around 1975 under the Dayton name in Allis Chalmers orange .Still have it and it still runs just fine . I've never tached it but some claim around 11,000 RPM . Good little old saw .
Al, ive always been an Allis Chalmers fan.
Grew up on an A/C tractor.
Glad youve got that little Poulan saw.
Always wanted one.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting... That's kinda like the weird sharpener thing Oregon sells. I imagine they wouldn't work very well... The power sharp thing is pretty cool though. Probably the only one that came with that incorporated into the saw?