POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I'm new to a lot of this OPE stuff. I've never even seen a ported saw run(in real life) but I've always been willing to help. I found a member with a problem(owns over 70 saws), and I stepped up to help reduce the burden on him. Thanks Wayne. I'm looking forward to the jan 22nd gtg.
A Pulaan 4000

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is an extremely impressive score, congratulations.

I believe I still owe you a KMS4 handguard and something else, but I don't remember what you were looking for.

Mark

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is an extremely impressive score, congratulations.

I believe I still owe you a KMS4 handguard and something else, but I don't remember what you were looking for.

Mark
Thanks Mark
Yes for a handguard for the KMS4 if you have an extra kicking around,Looking for one for a Dolmar 166 if you have any leads.
No rush on either,since the dust has settled on my divorce i have to concentrate on dealing with a company that i am the sole owner of now.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know hp of the 4000? Has anyone ported one? I did find max rpm 8900 from poulan. crap now I can't remember. Maybe 8500rpm. It needs to be 10k in cut. Thanks

Last edited:

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok does anyone know what mount bar goes on a 4000? 24" 3/8 .050 number of drivers? I remember a spring steel s clip that went on bar studs(maybe to fill space in bar hole). Is that part available? Thanks

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks so much guys. I love this forum. Are we sure on 81 or 84driversfor 196? Thanks. I think I will make a new S clip as I want saw as original as possible.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
81 drivers with a 7 pin sprocket.
Thanks Guys. I found old bar and chain along with s clip. Original windsor 24" bar. Ran saw and it's different than I remember. Guess I told those old stories too many times. It pulled the 24" fully buried in dead ash fine but not fast. What limits these old saws rpm,s? Piston/rod weight? Saw seemed to tune ok so I don't think a carb kit or plug would help but spark is white so maybe clean magnet and pick up and set gap. Saw is 38yrs old.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I been running the 84 poulan 4000 with original windsor 24" bar. It's pulls good but seems slow. Tac showed bout 7500 to 8k in cut and 10,500 free rev. I did a mm and picked up 1k free rev and 500rpm in cut. I did a little more on mm and didn't pick anything more on free rev(11,500) but got another 500 in cut(9000) and that's with rakers dropped and sharpened chain. I did pick up more motormusic.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi fellas,first time posting here on this section.I've got a Poulan 306A that needed a crank seal on the FW side,so I pulled it apart today after putting it off for as couple yrs.First I tapped down on the seal to break it loose a bit,then I drilled a hole in it & inserted a drywall screw.I put a lock pliers on the screw & put downward pressure on the case of the saw.I got what appears to be a half of a seal out.Any ideas as to how to get the other half out?The first pic is of the saw after I pulled the FW & recoil off.The 2nd pic is of the half seal that came out.The 3rd pic is of the other part of the seal that's still in the pocket.thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi fellas,first time posting here on this section.I've got a Poulan 306A that needed a crank seal on the FW side,so I pulled it apart today after putting it off for as couple yrs.First I tapped down on the seal to break it loose a bit,then I drilled a hole in it & inserted a drywall screw.I put a lock pliers on the screw & put downward pressure on the case of the saw.I got what appears to be a half of a seal out.Any ideas as to how to get the other half out?The first pic is of the saw after I pulled the FW & recoil off.The 2nd pic is of the half seal that came out.The 3rd pic is of the other part of the seal that's still in the pocket.View attachment 327320 View attachment 327321 View attachment 327322

That looks like a whole seal to me? That might be the bearing down in there.