MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

MedicineMan

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know a guy that can help you with that cylinder. If you decide to repair it. Much less than rechroming. Feel free to contact me and ill get you his information.
Today I just put a PM850 back together using a cylinder sleeved by Vinny's friend. I used a LRB piston and rings that I had laying around. I bought the LRB piston for a SP81 rebuild but wound up using an OEM from Bob Johnson instead. The 850 has killer compression and runs and idles great. Feels like its gonna be a strong runner but I won't get a chance to put it in wood for a couple of weeks as the wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a much needed vacation together. Just me and her: no kids, no inlaws no chainsaws.
I'll keep you posted on the 850 when I get a chance to put it to work.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I just put a PM850 back together using a cylinder sleeved by Vinny's friend. I used a LRB piston and rings that I had laying around. I bought the LRB piston for a SP81 rebuild but wound up using an OEM from Bob Johnson instead. The 850 has killer compression and runs and idles great. Feels like its gonna be a strong runner but I won't get a chance to put it in wood for a couple of weeks as the wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a much needed vacation together. Just me and her: no kids, no inlaws no chainsaws.
I'll keep you posted on the 850 when I get a chance to put it to work.

Hell yeah on the vacation! What's your destination?

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well gang,several things to discuss.First thing is hopw many drivers on an 18 in.bar,3/8 pitch & .050 gauge?

Second thing,I bought a pair of NOS 16 in.Mac bars last month.One of them is on a saw & I have no problems with it.The 2nd bar has me befuddled.It's supposed to use a .050 gauge,3/8 pitch chain just like the other one,but I can't get it to fit the tip properly at all.I think someone put the wrong tip on it in the factory where it was made.I'll try to get a pic of how the chain doesn't fity.I even tried a brand new Oregon chain on it that I bought from Frawley's.That same chain fit perfectly on an Oregon bar.

Third thing,the Super 10-10 that I put an automatic oiler on did it again when I took it out to cut the other day.As soon as I fired up the saw the button would not push in for the manual oiler.I'm taking it back apart & putting the check valve back in.At least I could oil manually with it.Getting kinda sick of taking the saw apart & getting nowhere.
Al,you had made mention of the saw setting for decades & being gummed up.That's not the case here.The oil;er worked just fine when it was manual only.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if I recall the impulse is a straight shot out the back of the auto oil pump . It might be the piston is stuck in the pump . Although I have the rebuild kits I've never had any luck rebuilding them .I'd imagine Mark who has more patience than me would be the go to guy .I'd try the kerosene douche first because some times it works .Other than that to be honest I'd have to review exactly how both the manual and auto sytems tie together .All I can say on that is unless things have changed all of mine work .You've got ball checks on that system which could be stuck .WTH they could have sat for decades .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little more on this .Those pumps use a fiber type disc with impulse on one side and oil on the other .Tiny little shaft with a micro o-ring sealing the shaft .It's not unusual for them to allow some oil to get inside the crank case and puff a little blue smoke on a start up if they've sat for a while .That won't hurt anything . That thing if I'm correct has a spring on both sides of that fiber disk . If that fiber piston gets stuck it will not pump oil . It's not a big deal to peel them down and clean it out .Just pay attention when you put it back together .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little more on this .Those pumps use a fiber type disc with impulse on one side and oil on the other .Tiny little shaft with a micro o-ring sealing the shaft .It's not unusual for them to allow some oil to get inside the crank case and puff a little blue smoke on a start up if they've sat for a while .That won't hurt anything . That thing if I'm correct has a spring on both sides of that fiber disk . If that fiber piston gets stuck it will not pump oil . It's not a big deal to peel them down and clean it out .Just pay attention when you put it back together .
Al,I've had these pumps apart & there's really not much to them.The disc on the piston was sticking & I sanded the edges with croaskus cloth as per instructions from Bob J.It was working fine when I put it in the saw.As you said,a kerosene douche can't hurt anytyhing,but I think I might be out of kerosene right now.Fuel oil will work too,but I'm out of that too.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in my days of being an under sea raider,US submarine force made two patrols out of Spain and several short jaunts out of Puerto Rico .What little bit of Spanish I knew then is about gone but at one time I could get by if it were spoken slowly .Problem is most who speak the language go as fast as an auctioneer selling job lots of repossessed automobiles on a time limit .My little midwestern pea sized brain can't think that fast.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your welcome to the above ,it certainly was an adventure .Now then a side track ,Most European languages if in the written form can be figured out if they use our English alphabet which I think they call Latin script going back to about the seventh century . The problem with spoken is the different dialects .Well think about it ,Boston ,Tennessee, Australia ,Liverpool England .Hell we can't even decipher our own lingo some times .Then factor in figures of speech ,such as a pig in a poke .What in the world is a poke ?Poke salad to some I suppose .It gets confusing .

MedicineMan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pig in a Poke. Now that's a language I understand. Along the lines of what makes a burlap bag a croaker sack. I struggle terribly with the Puerto Rican Spanish. My wife, who speaks very good English, can't understand half of what my dad says. That's after speaking with him at least once a week for the past 25 years. He's from nawthun Mizzura, transplanted to central GA.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I had that automatic oiler apart before I put it in the saw,it may be a "junker" to me.I think it came out of either a 10-10A or a 2-10 that I bought in Jan.I cleaned it all up & had it working just fine,so I thought.
I did some fiddling with the saw today & the oil pump rod seems to be sticking.I had the saw fired up & pointed the end of the bar at a piece of cardboard to see if it was flinging any excess oil off the chain.I could see just a bit on the cardboard,but not enough to say so.I was pumping the button when the saw was running without a problem.I shut the saw off & tried moving the saw in different positions to see if that made a difference,it didn't.While pumping the button it would work,but no oil would pump & then without rhyme or reason it'd get stuck & not move.I hit it lightly with a hammer & it'd unstick & work a few pumps,then stick & so on.I'm not surer the pump rod is seated properly in the oil pump.I know I had problems getting it lined up when I was putting it back together.If I pop the flywheel I should be able to see if it's in place or not.

I have several 10-10s that I got fired up today for my next trek out cutting.Meanwhile,with all the rainy weather coming this week,I should have time to pull the aforementioned PITA apart again.

Last edited:

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pig in a Poke. Now that's a language I understand. Along the lines of what makes a burlap bag a croaker sack. I struggle terribly with the Puerto Rican Spanish. My wife, who speaks very good English, can't understand half of what my dad says. That's after speaking with him at least once a week for the past 25 years. He's from nawthun Mizzura, transplanted to central GA.
Thing about English speakers trying to speak Spanish is we don't speak fast enough.
Simple reason is that Spanish takes more words to convey the same message.
Example;
We say "its a sunny day today".
In Spanish that requires saying;
This day, the sun, it is shining.
On top of that, us southerners speak slower, so that makes it even more noticeable.
Hope y'all have a nice, peaceful vacation, and if you happen to see a Contra or another fine piece, bring those on back.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw the drawing .On that I've always gotten them to work usually just by cleaning out the old cruddy oil .I haven't however been able to stop them from leaking some little dribble oil back into the crankcase .Except a mini mac that drove me nuts .That one I just bypassed the auto and used the thumb lever .That one leaked so bad it would lock up the piston .Having said that I've never had one problem on the two 125's or the 105 .Of course those are mounted externally not in the oil tank . One 610 I fixed with the kerosene and one I put a new pump on and one never has caused me a problem and I've had it forever .That old cinder block is one tough old saw but it's now a shelf queen .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well today I got one of the 10-10s that I took out last week tuned fairly well.The saw is a real; bugger to try to tune with a Pro Mac cover on a 10-10A saw.There's no opening for a screwdriver to get at the needles.But it's ready to go now.
There's something terribly amiss with the Zama carb that's in the 610 I got running last month.I fired the saw up & tuned the carb again.It was throttling up nicely & it sat there & idled for 5 minutes.I went to throttle it up again & it died.I've got 2 Walbro carbs,but they both leak down & I can't figure out what's going on with them.I have 2 more Zama carbs that hold pressure,so I guess I'll have to try one of those.
I know this is a Mac thread,but the Homie XL-113 I took out last week cutting just quit on me.I tried firing it up when I got home & it sounded like an old hit & miss engine.I popped the flywheel today to have a look at the points & condenser & found the condenser just rolling around loose.It had broke loose from the bracket.I'd suspected it was condenser related all along.I also suspect that due to the condenser being loose it burnt the points.

thumbnail.jpg

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went out cutting today,I took the PM10-10,5-10,& Homie XL-103.Both the XL-103 & the PM10-10 made 2 cuts each & quit.Once again the 5-10 came to the rescue.I got home & changed the plug in the XL-103 & it was good to go again.The PM10-10 was a bugger to figure out.It had spark & was getting fuel,but no fire.I reset the needles & this time set them richer than they were.The saw fired right up & while it was running I took it in the back yard to make sure the carb was set right & buried the 20 in.bar in a cherry log.It never skipped a beat.I sharpened some chains & went looking for another saw & ended up with my Super 6-10A.I haven't had this saw fired up in almost 3 yrs.The front handle was loose & so was the chain.I tightened them both up,put fresh fuel in the bone dry tank & oil too.Pulled about 10 times & it fired right up.Sharpened the chain & it's ready to go.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i was talking to a guy at work who asked me a question about my mcculloch g70 saw. He asked me how much it cost new? I have no idea. So im asking everyone....does anyone have a original price list for the mcculloch saws? Particularly the g70? Reason it came up is i bought one off ebay a couple weeks ago and fixed it. Got a few nos parts for it and have pretty close to 275 00 in it total. My buddy got one also and has just about the same in it so far. Both from ebay recently.....then there is one with pretty paint on it on ebay now and its bid up to $680.00 plus shipping and taxes. Glad mine was a buy it now., but i was asked how much were they in 1972 and i dont know.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First of all keep in mind E-bay assumed prices some times are not as they appear .Often on purposely setting future pricing ,In other words on line shill bidding and more often than not never really sold .That said if you want to believe they are real and feel like you want to pay those prices go for it . As far as what they sold for new should be on the internet some place .I have some on Partner ,a very few on McCulloch .Remember "Google " is your friend .

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes i agree, im just saying for the 3 g70 saws mentioned i know how much i paid and my buddy paid. And the 3rd is sitting now at 680.00.

Ebay, evilbay, feebay whatever you choose, it can just get crazy and i find it fascinating when one day a guy can spend x amount on an item and 2 days later the same item gets 2 guys in a pixxing match and itll go for 10 times the amount. Its just fascinating the "i must be the high bidder" mentality. Competetive nature of people i guess. Great for sellers though...lol