MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, already got a Homelite Zip. This looks similar. Just curious if there was something I was missing.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I have a brand new never used carb for a model 15 Mac .It was in a bunch of old Mac stuff Dan Henry sent me .It's kind of an odd ball thing if I recall correctly .As for the saw --not too much if any thing at all .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I have a brand new never used carb for a model 15 Mac .It was in a bunch of old Mac stuff Dan Henry sent me .It's kind of an odd ball thing if I recall correctly .As for the saw --not too much if any thing at all .

It is an HL but odd carb as it has no fuel pump. It relies entirely on gravity to feed it. If you look at them compared to a normal HL you will notice they are missing the pumping chamber "cookie".

Ppavolko

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man you have an amazing collection and a hell of a nice shop.

Heavy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is advanced timing? Does it serve for points and condenser or electronic ignitions? Benefits? regards

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is advanced timing? Does it serve for points and condenser or electronic ignitions? Benefits? regards

The amount of time measured in degrees the sparkplug fires in relation to top dead center of the crankshaft.

Not to be rude but this is best explained by looking up and reading published material. Thousands of pages of information and theory at your fingertips.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Virtually all McCulloch saws were set up with the spark to occur 26 degrees before top dead center (BTDC), with a points ignition saw you can vary the time slightly by increasing the point gap (advance the timing) or decreasing the point gap (retard the timing). On saws with and electronic ignition coil/module you can adjust the timing by altering the flywheel key or leaving the key out altogether and rotating the flywheel (counterclockwise on most saws) a few degrees...some saws will respond positively and some not. More timing advance increases the chances for the saw to kick when starting and rip the starter handle from your hand.

As the RPM of the saw increases the ignition must occur sooner in order to give the burn enough time to create maximum pressure when the piston is moving down. Most modern electronic ignition coils/modules have some timing advance built in so as the RPM increases the spark will advance. Really good electronic ignitions won't generate a spark a lower RPM to avoid/prevent the starter from kicking back when starting the saw.

Mark

Last edited:

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning Fellows! Can someone tell me which way to turn this clutch nut to loosen? Thanks in advance. Jimimage.jpg I do see the tiny arrow on the nut indicating a clockwise direction. But..?

I got it! Left hand thread like every other saw I’ve ever worked on. Was just stuck.

Last edited:

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, what you said. Righty loosey on those.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got her going again! Had some oil/dust on the points
and a corrosion clogged carb. Bearings on clutch drum were locked up too. Cleaned and adjusted the points, replaced the carb ($$) and removed, cleaned and greased the clutch drum. Here she is.

Heavy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its posible advanced timing in points y condencer or only electronic ignition? Regards

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or re-position the flywheel without the key. And didn't certain 101 flywheels even have a 5 degree advanced key way?