The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You need a power sweep… Those uprights are a PIA in my experience. My brother rents two bins with them, water gets around the bottom belt & it slips or snow melts & then the bottom pulley is in a frozen puddle & you have to use an axe to chop it all out then barely feed it until things dry out.

Last edited:

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here on the veggies, we do tomatoes, beans, peas, strawberries, muscadines, Concordes, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, potatoes, squash and peppers. Did try onions last year, wasn't impressed. Waiting on chestnuts and pecans, trees are a few years from bearing. We also grow sunflowers for the doves, and hay for the goats. I may have missed something. Hard to remember everything. Have a little bit of anarchy here.
How many pecan trees do you have? This year the prices were terrible.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. We have 75 old trees and 85 young ones. They are lots of work. Picked up over 4000 pounds this fall. Picked up over 100# of left overs Thursday.
That is a lot of trees, I really just wanted to plant some trees, may never get to sit under them. Someone will if I don't. I experiment and plant things that may or may not take. Just having fun. I have a few dunston chestnuts too. A year or two out on those beginning to fruit. Will see. Wife really likes the mulberries and the raspberries.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you get a pound? Just curious how rich I am going to be! Lol
This year about the best anyone got was a dollar to 1.25 per pound. It’s been down for about three years for various reasons. Have seen it about $3 per pound. Best way is to shell and sell. Get from $5 to $15 per pond depending on quality.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a lot of trees, I really just wanted to plant some trees, may never get to sit under them. Someone will if I don't. I experiment and plant things that may or may not take. Just having fun. I have a few dunston chestnuts too. A year or two out on those beginning to fruit. Will see. Wife really likes the mulberries and the raspberries.
I wish I had started younger. I’m trying to get everything set up for the kids and grandkids.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This year about the best anyone got was a dollar to 1.25 per pound. It’s been down for about three years for various reasons. Have seen it about $3 per pound. Best way is to shell and sell. Get from $5 to $15 per pond depending on quality.
Wow, $1/lb. They sure ain't selling in the store for anywhere near that. Guess I am not as rich as I thought. Lol.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I had started younger. I’m trying to get everything set up for the kids and grandkids.
Same here, enjoying what we are doing, will never try to make a profit. We give away all our surplus. Coworkers supply me with empty egg cartons, and I give away the extra eggs. Same with veggies. Neem oil is the harshest thing we use here. We don't use gly-anything. We lose a lot to critters and bugs, so we just plant more so they can have some too.

We have a good free range rabbit crop right now. Lol

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, $1/lb. They sure ain't selling in the store for anywhere near that. Guess I am not as rich as I thought. Lol.
Huge difference is right. Somebody is making money but sure not the farmer. You can go on pecanreport.com and they update prices every few days. It gives what the big time farmers are getting. Minimum 20,000 pounds.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 362927 Back at it fellas. Handsome sumbitch ain’t I lol

pud it dis way
when iam out fencing I’ll make sure and keep the farming thread out of site so those
Farmers daughters don’t see this photo cos they’ll be migrating like a flock of
Un feathered birds cross the Atlantic

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pud it dis way
when iam out fencing I’ll make sure and keep the farming thread out of site so those
Farmers daughters don’t see this photo cos they’ll be migrating like a flock of
Un feathered birds cross the Atlantic
That’s what I’m getting at. Gotta keep a stick at the door to chase em back lol