Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes I think spring is coming a lot of trees are budding up and the grass is greening pretty good sounds like your keeping busy
Not really busy as I could be. Easier when you have a non-profit farm like we do. Which as you know means we don't make any money doing it. Opposite really, costs us money instead of making any. I took see buds on the trees, waiting on the next cold spell to prune grapes. Also have to weed around and mulch some trees.

Did you guys have a colder winter there than normal? I heard that winter shifted a bit this year, though it is hard to tell as we don't really have winter here, at least compared to what I was used to. Also curious as to what you grow across the pond. Here it seems to be wheat, soy and corn! Seems only gardeners grow food over here.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really busy as I could be. Easier when you have a non-profit farm like we do. Which as you know means we don't make any money doing it. Opposite really, costs us money instead of making any. I took see buds on the trees, waiting on the next cold spell to prune grapes. Also have to weed around and mulch some trees.

Did you guys have a colder winter there than normal? I heard that winter shifted a bit this year, though it is hard to tell as we don't really have winter here, at least compared to what I was used to. Also curious as to what you grow across the pond. Here it seems to be wheat, soy and corn! Seems only gardeners grow food over here.

yes it’s been a lot colder this winter and wetter and stronger westerly winds

it’s mostly wheat , barley oats , corn for silage , potatoes , swedes ,
Peas , beans , onions , tomatoes, strawberries and all the salad vegetables

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes it’s been a lot colder this winter and wetter and stronger westerly winds

it’s mostly wheat , barley oats , corn for silage , potatoes , swedes ,
Peas , beans , onions , tomatoes, strawberries and all the salad vegetables
Same here on the veggies, we do tomatoes, beans, peas, strawberries, muscadines, Concordes, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, potatoes, squash and peppers. Did try onions last year, wasn't impressed. Waiting on chestnuts and pecans, trees are a few years from bearing. We also grow sunflowers for the doves, and hay for the goats. I may have missed something. Hard to remember everything. Have a little bit of anarchy here.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is different about the design of that diesel engine? Anything like the Farmall MD?

It's a Lanova air cell engine. Check it out on Wikipedia. It's a really good read when you get a chance. Basically it shoots the fuel into the combustion chamber opposite the air cell. Some of the fuel ignites but some sprays into the air cell and ignites a bit later than the initial ignition. That causes a turbulent swirl that eases the pressure on the rod bearings. This engine produces almost zero diesel knock. If I didn't tell you it was a diesel you would just think it's a runt of the mill gasoline engine.

Here is a pic of the air cell. The injector is on the opposite side of the head.

PXL_20230119_012158016.jpg

Here is an air cell removed from the head.

PXL_20230119_012504622.jpg

Here is a view down the injector hole. You can see the entrance of the air cell on the other side of the combustion chamber through it.

PXL_20230119_012208254.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a Lanova air cell engine. Check it out on Wikipedia. It's a really good read when you get a chance. Basically it shoots the fuel into the combustion chamber opposite the air cell. Some of the fuel ignites but some sprays into the air cell and ignites a bit later than the initial ignition. That causes a turbulent swirl that eases the pressure on the rod bearings. This engine produces almost zero diesel knock. If I didn't tell you it was a diesel you would just think it's a runt of the mill gasoline engine.

Here is a pic of the air cell. The injector is on the opposite side of the head.

View attachment 362542

View attachment 362543

Here is a view down the injector hole. You can see the entrance of the air cell on the other side of the combustion chamber through it.

View attachment 362544
You hurt my brain. This is cool as hell though. I wish I was a little better at some of this stuff. Think I could do it but to get set up to do some of this stuff is an issue. Need a bigger shop with less clutter. Or just less clutter

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You hurt my brain. This is cool as hell though. I wish I was a little better at some of this stuff. Think I could do it but to get set up to do some of this stuff is an issue. Need a bigger shop with less clutter. Or just less clutter

Yes it is! I normally wouldn't want to take on a job like this for hire but I don't think I'll ever get a chance to get that deep in one of these type of engines ever again. Definitely worth it just for the experience and now the understanding. Unique is almost an understatement. Funny because it is neither indirect or direct injection even though it has the same principles as both but not really! Makes your head hurt till you read the theory of operation a few times. Then your just like "that's pretty damn cool"!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it is! I normally wouldn't want to take on a job like this for hire but I don't think I'll ever get a chance to get that deep in one of these type of engines ever again. Definitely worth it just for the experience and now the understanding. Unique is almost an understatement. Funny because it is neither indirect or direct injection even though it has the same principles as both but not really! Makes your head hurt till you read the theory of operation a few times. Then your just like "that's pretty damn cool"!
Why are they rare you figure??

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 362542

View attachment 362543

View attachment 362544
Very interesting. Good that you saved that, hopefully someone gets to learn about it in the future. Some brilliant people have come and gone. Amazing!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why are they rare you figure??

It was a technology from the 1920's and Buda owned the production rights to the system. The 262 diesel produced less power than the 262 gas and it was expensive over the gas engine. The only positive to the diesel at the time was lower fuel consumption. It was a kinda before it's time type a thing in a tractor. Farmers are always leary of new technology when gas engines ruled the fields I guess.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very interesting. Good that you saved that, hopefully someone gets to learn about it in the future. Some brilliant people have come and gone. Amazing!

It is actually going to the great grandson of the original owner!! That's another reason we took it on. The tractor was purchased new from a long gone AC dealer just a few miles from me!! If I remember this weekend I'll snap a few pics of the old dealership building.