The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had crary with a few Deere guards on my old 920 head. I liked it better. Had the crary hold downs too. I really like those. I’d like to switch this one over but gotta talk to the right folks to see if it’ll work. With the 920 you could do a piece at a time. Made it nice to convert. Not one huge bill. I ran crarys next to Deere and broke very very few of their sickles vs the Deere. I’m not having good luck with the guards on this head either. Broke 2 tonight. Likely hit something but still a pita. This head (620) takes two different type guards and they alternate so you’ve gotta keep both on hand. Not much of a setup in my opinion Cuts great when everything is just right. Seems like a lot of daily maintenance

You should only be able to slide a business card under those hold downs on the Deere head. My brother has a 930 grain table & it was eating 5-6 guards a day, at $15 a whack it was getting expensive. We went thru it & adjusted them all down it helped a little bit but what helped the most was leveling the feeder house face plate.

At 34”off the ground from the pivot bolt put a level vertically on your face plate to check your level. His was off about 1/2”, it made a big difference on busting the guards. Too much forward lean causing too much pressure on the cutter bar.

Yes, those alternating guards are a PIA.

If I remember correctly the high/low sections are recommended for no-till applications & the all standard sections are for conventional tillage applications. I may have have that backwards but I think it’s correct.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should only be able to slide a business card under those hold downs on the Deere head. My brother has a 930 grain table & it was eating 5-6 guards a day, at $15 a whack it was getting expensive. We went thru it & adjusted them all down it helped a little bit but what helped the most was leveling the feeder house face plate.

At 34”off the ground from the pivot bolt put a level vertically on your face plate to check your level. His was off about 1/2”, it made a big difference on busting the guards. Too much forward lean causing too much pressure on the cutter bar.

Yes, those alternating guards are a PIA.

If I remember correctly the high/low sections are recommended for no-till applications & the all standard sections are for conventional tillage applications. I may have have that backwards but I think it’s correct.
I believe you are correct I have never checked this machine. She’s still pretty new to me and works well enough. This head came from a rough home. I’ve never gotten it dialed in. I’ve basically rebuilt it but never thought to check the pitch on the actual machine. Had tires switched to singles when we got it (combine) so it’s very possible that it’s off. I’ll check it out when I get through season appreciate the tip

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What brand?
I have a mirafount, it works well

Sent from the Hoskey Hill country
IMG_20221104_181616.jpg
Same, mirafount 3465. Supposed to handle 100 head of beef. Should have it in I hope by the end of next weekend. I planned for this when I put in a new well a few years ago and put in a tee and a ball valve. Speed beef season starts then and I need to get out and do a little hunting. No cost except some time in the outdoors since I can get farm tags for free. Going to try to get the line finished in the next day or two and pour the pad one evening after work. This time change sucks right when we need light the most.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This fall we tried the quite wean nose flaps.

I will say that not every calf figured out how to nurse, but a lot of them did. I don’t feel like it’s worth the time of running them twice through the chute.
In the end I still had to fence line wean the whole group.

BAF5D263-8D88-4445-8E2C-AA41FB0E9A41.jpeg

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This fall we tried the quite wean nose flaps.

I will say that not every calf figured out how to nurse, but a lot of them did. I don’t feel like it’s worth the time of running them twice through the chute.
In the end I still had to fence line wean the whole group.

View attachment 354235

I would think a humane hog ring would be cheaper & just as effective if not more so. I think either one would effect their grazing ability.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was running wagons this afternoon. Couldn’t find a tire for the combine so we robbed the manure Spreader tire. Local shop is going to get a tire tomorrow..

Attachments

• 98F4E825-D8BB-45FB-904C-D9DDB28B1D37.jpeg
    98F4E825-D8BB-45FB-904C-D9DDB28B1D37.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 55E1FD74-23CF-4325-9788-5146D66A9D2D.jpeg
    55E1FD74-23CF-4325-9788-5146D66A9D2D.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 15

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID