The Official Farming Thread...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We plant both 7.5" and 15" we drill the 7.5" and row spliters for 15". The only thing I don't like about the 15" rows is weed control seems like it takes them forever to canopy over.
Imagine the 30s. They are pretty in 30s but wow they take forever to close them You kinda need a good bushy bean to do it Then you end up with bean stumps instead of stubble when you cut em

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Imagine the 30s. They are pretty in 30s but wow they take forever to close them You kinda need a good bushy bean to do it Then you end up with bean stumps instead of stubble when you cut em

A few guys around here are starting to plant in 30" rows and running the planter through twice in a X pattern in the field

If things don't start to dry up here we are going to need to get a bigger bean planter.... A few guys are looking at putting a lot more beans in instead of corn.....

image.jpeg

This is our bean planter

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you even get a decent bushy variety in RR?I've planted 30" in an organic variety. They canopied well. One pass with the cultivator. Still had late foxtail but not horrible.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah there's some out there hell I can't find any now that aren't rr. We plant a lot of asgrow. Fs has some bushy ones but they get huge literally I cut some with the reel full extension up and was still beating beans out they went 50 ish bushel that's a great yeild over here

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah there's some out there hell I can't find any now that aren't rr. We plant a lot of asgrow. Fs has some bushy ones but they get huge literally I cut some with the reel full extension up and was still beating beans out they went 50 ish bushel that's a great yeild over here

You just about have to go to Organic to find any old school varieties. Blue River is the biggest and best for around here. You can also buy their varieties in non certified if you don't require certification. They are Northrup King's old organic line. I've also had good luck with their alfalfa. A lot like the old DeKalb varieties. There's a dealer regional rep in Maryland for the mid Atlantic.

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow. You guys farm a lot different. Haha. Interesting to me so far tho. I plant everything on 22"s and grain drill is 7.5". Used to grow some pinto beans but got out of it 2 years ago. Mostly sugar beets, malt barley, corn, alfalfa, seed alfalfa here.

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We also have to irrigate everything. But we have some pivots nowadays so that is really nice. Are RR weeds an issue in your part of the country? Just kinda curious since they are rumored to be in my area.

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worst part is RR volunteer corn in your RR beans. We could a have an entire thread on RR. And it wouldn't be pretty.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mares tail are nasty expensive to kill... Round up won't touch em we've had good luck if you spray round up in the fall and get back on em early spring with round up it can keep em down fairly well the voluntary corn we usually hit with gramoxone before we plant beans I'm not too hot on my chemicals my uncle is the spray man. We finally got back to planting corn yesterday ol man is stuck right now....

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of corn works for you guys we plant 90percent pioneer and one number of dekalb

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pioneer or king seed for grain corn. Croplan for silage. See a lot of dekalb for silage around here also

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to like doeblers we have a channel dealer just sorta stick with pioneer it works well for us we use liquid around 12 gallons we mix random things for diffrent situations

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It all come down to having the right weather! A few key rainstorms put bushels in the bins or take them out.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buttercups have taken over in a lot of our neighbors fields, not so bad in mine. I'll be spraying the pastures soon though. Started cutting hay yesterday, and will have it all laid down today. One of my cats for in the way, cut off both back feet. Had to put her down. :(

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn I hate that. I use the sickle bar a lot. Usually get rabbits or groundhogs. At least a haybine finishes them off.