GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is it?
Are You asking me?

My previous post shows a picture of an thermometer sitting on a 500k€ CNC dual C-axis worktable 5-axis mill console and the machines work surroundings temperature despite a dozen of gas heater running within its vicinity since as early as 6AM.
Said machine "worked" for about 2 hours in the late PM, then again shut down as the "hall" or "building" cooled down severely as the sun settled.
The gas heaters weren't able to counteract the cooling effect of the freezing outdoors.

There is a total of 18 CNC mills in this "building" worth millions - the building is a chicken coop being made with outer panels merely 1" thin!

I am laughing at this s#it as I am not paid enough to care about my superiors stupidity/idiocy!!! :lol:

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are You asking me?

My previous post shows a picture of an thermometer sitting on a 500k€ CNC dual C-axis worktable 5-axis mill console and the machines work surroundings temperature despite a dozen of gas heater running within its vicinity since as early as 6AM.
Said machine "worked" for about 2 hours in the late PM, then again shut down as the "hall" or "building" cooled down severely as the sun settled.
The gas heaters weren't able to counteract the cooling effect of the freezing outdoors.

There is a total of 18 CNC mills in this "building" worth millions - the building is a chicken coop being made with outer panels merely 1" thin!

I am laughing at this s#it as I am not paid enough to care about my superiors stupidity/idiocy!!! :lol:
Thank you.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had -10°C last week, then a jump to +16°C for two days this week just to have it drop back down to -8°C this weekend ending in an ice rain.

I'd rather be on winter tires from November till April than encounter -10°C ice rain a single time during this period on summer tires!

I drive my winter/summer tire sets about 50/50 throughout the year.
Same here; snow tires are pointless around here...

Reactions: Lnk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been assigned to feed the beast (biggest CNC mill at work) this week, afternoon shift, reduced workforce.
Once the AM shift cleared the workspace and shut down the unmanned machines I heard an unfamiliar noise coming from my machine.
I payed closer attention to the sound and it is a semi loud clanking noise whenever the machine comes to a sudden stop from rapid movement along the X-axis.
The noise comes from the back of the machine where all the axis spindles are located, it is muffled by the X-axis curtain and hardly noticeable when wearing ear plugs or other machines create noise.
That was Monday.

Yesterday I come to work and informed my "superior" about it.
He listens to it for 2 seconds and says "It's nothing!"
Mkay!? :thinking:

I haven't been assigned to the beast for over a month now, but I ran it during nightshifts (skeleton crew, one can hear the pigeons snoring/farting) and I know all the machines "normal" sounds.
What I am hearing is a metallic clank, and I am not talking tin sheet barrier curtain movement sound which is more of a rattle (vertical harmonica style curtain).

But hey, WTF do I care - not in my pay grade to worry about the health of a 500k€ CNC mill.

Also, they have been dry milling for nearly a month now with a broken/missing Y-axis sweeper (a plastic brush!).
That means cast iron chips are actively being flung at/into that ~1" gap and behind it are all the "innards" of the machine.
How lovely!

Last edited:

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been assigned to feed the beast (biggest CNC mill at work) this week, afternoon shift, reduced workforce.
Once the AM shift cleared the workspace and shut down the unmanned machines I heard an unfamiliar noise coming from my machine.
I payed closer attention to the sound and it is a semi loud clanking noise whenever the machine comes to a sudden stop from rapid movement along the X-axis.
The noise comes from the back of the machine where all the axis spindles are located, it is muffled by the X-axis curtain and hardly noticeable when wearing ear plugs or other machines create noise.
That was Monday.

Yesterday I come to work and informed my "superior" about it.
He listens to it for 2 seconds and says "It's nothing!"
Mkay!? :thinking:

I haven't been assigned to the beast for over a month now, but I ran it during nightshifts (skeleton crew, one can hear the pigeons snoring/farting) and I know all the machines "normal" sounds.
What I am hearing is a metallic clank, and I am not talking tin sheet barrier curtain movement sound which is more of a rattle (vertical harmonica style curtain).

But hey, WTF do I care - not in my pay grade to worry about the health of a 500k€ CNC mill.

Also, they have been dry milling for nearly a month now with a broken/missing Y-axis sweeper (a plastic brush!).
That means cast iron chips are actively being flung at/into that ~1" gap and behind it are all the "innards" of the machine.
How lovely!
Change work emediatly. Before its to late.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
me too....im too old to go anywhere else and get paid enough. plus noone wants to hire people over 50 because we have a work ethic and know stuff. they would rather hire young dummies so they can pay them lots less and have them not question bad decisions or say things like hey that machine is about to break we should fix it now.....

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
me too....im too old to go anywhere else and get paid enough. plus noone wants to hire people over 50 because we have a work ethic and know stuff. they would rather hire young dummies so they can pay them lots less and have them not question bad decisions or say things like hey that machine is about to break we should fix it now.....
Not me....I'm always looking for old guys.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Croatia the momma's boy fresh out of school gets the same paycheck as a work veteran with decades of knowhow under his belt.
And yes, straight out of school workforce is preferred because employing them is financially aided by the government - or rather ME the tax payer.
Sad, but true.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in the same boat. Change careers take a 50% pay cut!
I don't care too much about less cash, if it is temporary.
But I do know that I'd be "the new" guy wherever I switch to, while where I am for nearly 3 decades now I am the "don't mess with him" guy. 😉

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in the same boat. Change careers take a 50% pay cut!

Weird thing is, I'm stuck in that quandary where I'm "overqualified" for everything I'm interested in and have to dumb down my resume' just to get interviewed. A college degree is poison in a job search unless it's in the field you are trying for - and then it better not be too much of a degree to push you into overqualified status. I'm just going to stick with what I got and farm full time after I retire.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weird thing is, I'm stuck in that quandary where I'm "overqualified" for everything I'm interested in and have to dumb down my resume' just to get interviewed. A college degree is poison in a job search unless it's in the field you are trying for - and then it better not be too much of a degree to push you into overqualified status. I'm just going to stick with what I got and farm full time after I retire.

My wife is finding that out right now. She is wanting a job that is not downtown STL. Everything closer is entry level to entry/intermediate and they interview her and then go "no thanks!" when they see here resume.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i dont understand the overqualified.....if i am trying to get a job that i know im overqualified for, and im ok doing it. why dont they just hire you and the work gets done better and faster? i just want better work life balance and not have to drive 60 miles every day to get to a job that totally hates me.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Croatia having a higher education grants You the right to receive a higher minimal paycheck just because You hold a diploma claiming You know $#it.

Also, if You do not have a degree in a certain "high education" work description You get a reduced paycheck as from what that job would pay an "educated" person - irregardless of the fact that You Master said work description through experience.
A missing piece of paper "claiming" that You know that job will rob You some 30% of the paycheck.