The Great 2020/2021 Poulan Wild Thing Build Off

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I just read this thread. In the beginning I was disappointed that I didn't get to participate, thinking it would be fun and I could learn a little. By end of thread I was glad I didn't get too. Congrats to all that did. I have a old homelite ez or super ez for a suggested build model for 2021. Not sure if any parts are available. Thought we would see more on what was done to make a wild thing sing, but it seems a task to keep em running long enough to make a couple cuts was challenge enough.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good news guys, I just found a nice case for one of y'all to keep your new build in.

$25, comes with some ballast that you'll need to dump out to use the case.

SmartSelect_20210322-170958_Firefox Nightly.jpg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I’m going to toss this one on the shelf for now and move on. @Stump Shot, thanks for getting this going. I had a lot of fun building a low consequence saw and learned some good stuff. It makes me think there may be some clamshells out there worth porting. @Rotty781, I think your methed out Thing had the most snort.

Everbody else, it was cool knocking our heads together over these little junkers. I loved seeing what everybody did! Hopefully more info will show up here. Looking forward to another trash build-off next year!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I’m going to toss this one on the shelf for now and move on. @Stump Shot, thanks for getting this going. I had a lot of fun building a low consequence saw and learned some good stuff. It makes me think there may be some clamshells out there worth porting. @Rotty781, I think your methed out Thing had the most snort.

Everbody else, it was cool knocking our heads together over these little junkers. I loved seeing what everybody did! Hopefully more info will show up here. Looking forward to another trash build-off next year!

Clamshells? Not worth porting? I think it's humorous the hatred the internet gives to clamshell saws, unless they're a Mcculloch, then no mention of it is made. Lol
Was happy to see a few folks get started modding saws and that's what this was really about. Some scoffed, some sneared, some laughed and some got to work and learned a thing or two. I applaud all the folks that tried even if they failed.
Will definitely be doing this again next winter (USA) and come up with an entirely different saw to mess with that's easily found, inexpensive and parts still available for. Hopefully more people can join in on the fun.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I want to remove my suggestion for a super ez build because it's to old and parts availability is bad. Perhaps a China 62cc for $125 delivered brand new. Would really cut down on(wait for it)variables. Plus it would be easy to resale a saw with a 3 to 4 hundred dollar port job for $100.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I want to remove my suggestion for a super ez build because it's to old and parts availability is bad. Perhaps a China 62cc for $125 delivered brand new. Would really cut down on(wait for it)variables. Plus it would be easy to resale a saw with a 3 to 4 hundred dollar port job for $100.
Ok I want to remove that suggestion also. I will just wait till you all decide and hopefully I can get my participation trophy.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, so better late than never, here's my level one entry, after finally getting the new carbeltater the other day.
The little amount of work put into it shows, after seeing that it is not really a long term viable project worthy of massive effort. I believe it to be a tad better than stock and will cut some wood half way decently in a pinch. It's a real shame a good lined cylinder is not on this saw. Basically planned obselence at work here. So the nay sayers can have their day, as they were partly right.
The project was just for fun though and hopefully folks had some. We did learn some things along the way that can have other applications, so some knowledge was gained and you can never say that's a bad thing.
If there are any other late comers please post your results.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The soft cylinders are definitely a downside to these things. I have put many many hours on them and for what little they cost I always got good service out of them. Gonna try to buy my 2150 back from the wife's uncle who now has it!

Rotty781

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Okay, so better late than never, here's my level one entry, after finally getting the new carbeltater the other day.
The little amount of work put into it shows, after seeing that it is not really a long term viable project worthy of massive effort. I believe it to be a tad better than stock and will cut some wood half way decently in a pinch. It's a real shame a good lined cylinder is not on this saw. Basically planned obselence at work here. So the nay sayers can have their day, as they were partly right.
The project was just for fun though and hopefully folks had some. We did learn some things along the way that can have other applications, so some knowledge was gained and you can never say that's a bad thing.
If there are any other late comers please post your results.
I can say I had fun built two of them always going to be nay sayers in everything we do

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Clamshells? Not worth porting? I think it's humorous the hatred the internet gives to clamshell saws, unless they're a Mcculloch, then no mention of it is made. Lol
Was happy to see a few folks get started modding saws and that's what this was really about. Some scoffed, some sneared, some laughed and some got to work and learned a thing or two. I applaud all the folks that tried even if they failed.
Will definitely be doing this again next winter (USA) and come up with an entirely different saw to mess with that's easily found, inexpensive and parts still available for. Hopefully more people can join in on the fun.
My vote is Homelite pro 46 lol.