thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hello everyone first post here,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a bigger carb (venturi) that I could swap on a poulan wild thing and still maintain the choke function.

this is for a project saw where I went in and aluminum brazed the cylinder head to up compression. I'm sure the bottle necks going to end up being the carb when I end up getting it back together. Thanks

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't recall where I read it, but there was a really good thread on modifications to carbs while drilling them out a little for larger venturi. Might be an option for you.

Mike

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a 346 or 357 carb can be fitted. Haven’t done it myself, but I’ve seen photos.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks guy. I have a wt-194 sitting here which would be a good sized upgrade but then the choke wouldn't work. on this saw I'd like to keep the choke working. I put a ms460 carb on my ms260 which worked great other than having to hold the choke lever to start it.

I will look into the carbs mentioned so far.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of Echo saws run WT carbs with choke butterflies. Remind me what carb comes stock on a 2375 wild thing.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of Echo saws run WT carbs with choke butterflies. Remind me what carb comes stock on a 2375 wild thing.
Without looking I think it's the wt-89. It sure is a tiny one.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked and its a WT 662
Okay. This may be helpful.

There are over 100 wt carbs. Many that aren’t listed in the link. The good news is most of them have the same layout with different bore and jet sizes. Some have a pulse nipple, some are pulsed through a hole in the face of the carb. You can interchange butterfly rods and plates from your carb as well as the metering cap onto many wt carbs. So if you can’t find one that’s direct drop in but has a larger bore and jet, just swap your parts on.
But don’t get a knockoff. They have the right externals for their number, but the bore and jet are usually smaller.

I’ll go dig up a 346 carb. I think it’s nearly direct drop in.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Zama EL42 off a 346xp (NE). Afraid I don’t have a Walbro, but the configuration of inlets and needles are the same. Husqvarna and Poulan went under the same parent company some time around the turn of the century, so both drew parts from the same factories. If I remember right, the choke and kill switch assembly is the same or very similar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 7

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow thanks everyone sure made it whole lot easier on me trying to guess what might work.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ended up going with the HDA-12 as it looked to be the closest and its pretty close to drop in. plastic choke lever is gonna need heated and bent a little but I think it should work. took out the throttle plate and soldered the hole in it shut so I can control the idle speed better. had to rotate the fuel barb around but I think that's about it.

20230227_191327.jpg

she's coming alone.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always, since I was a little boy, wanted a wild thing. The name and the color combo is where the attraction is.. LOL

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited:

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always, since I was a little boy, wanted a wild thing. The name and the color combo is where the attraction is.. LOL

Can't wait to see the finished product.
I'll post something up when I get it all together. Really don't have that much more to do but finding time to work on stuff these days is a problem. The fuel line to the carb needs to be replaced with a bigger one, Air box needs opened up, got to work on the choke lever a little, I think thats about it.

I'm curious what the compression will end up at. Here are some pictures on the top on the cylinder right after I brazed it.20230206_223733.jpg
20230207_173406.jpg

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well looks like I might need some help figuring out my carb issues. So I thought the hd-12 I ordered (holzfforma) must be bad as it would not pull fuel from the tank and the stock carb and a wt-194 would both pull fuel and run.

I've ordered another carb at this point but I don't think thats the issue. I swapped in a ms390 carb upside down because that the only way I could make it fit and it would not pull fuel and I know that carb is good. I also just swapped the carb off my running 660 (but didn't bolt it down) and it also would not pull fuel from the tank.

any ideas on what I'm missing here? Seems like the little carbs pull fuel and run fine but the bigger carbs won't even pull fuel into the line.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pulse line must be fine tho right as the wt 194 runs an external brass pulse line and works fine.

I guess I don't know if all the stihl brass barbs are the same size but I used a 660 ones so that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta be pulse or fuel somehow. Try filling the metering side with fuel before you install it. Make sure your lines aren’t kinked. Check your fuel filter and tank vent. You’ll just have to keep hammering on it until something gives.