jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a fun fact got a cutting card not long ago it says all conventional faces will reject the logs and all hot saw cut trees will be rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if there's a processor on the landing slicking off both ends? Are they going to have a problem with that?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What if there's a processor on the landing slicking off both ends? Are they going to have a problem with that?

From what we’ve understand yes they’re seeing more cracks from the hot saws then a standard 404 or 3/4 saw chain. This is for hardwoods right now but it makes you wonder what’s around the corner.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what we’ve understand yes they’re seeing more cracks from the hot saws then a standard 404 or 3/4 saw chain. This is for hardwoods right now but it makes you wonder what’s around the corner.

That's interesting - I can buy it in hardwoods though for sure, especially with mills these days trying to recover everything. The last Seneca job I was on, we had to slick off everything and we couldn't ship anything
with sweep over a few degrees. We had to leave all pistol butts in the unit. With the way wood prices are going, I think it's only going to get worse.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's interesting - I can buy it in hardwoods though for sure, especially with mills these days trying to recover everything. The last Seneca job I was on, we had to slick off everything and we couldn't ship anything
with sweep over a few degrees. We had to leave all pistol butts in the unit. With the way wood prices are going, I think it's only going to get worse.

Oh yeah heck it’s camp run pricing but with a 30’ per load average requirement which makes it fun too especially with alder.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's interesting to me that they won't take logs cut by a hot saw, I could see if the buncher had a shear head on it. I have seen splits 8ft up from a shear in hardwood!

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's interesting to me that they won't take logs cut by a hot saw, I could see if the buncher had a shear head on it. I have seen splits 8ft up from a shear in hardwood!

Alder is very soft to put it nicely, chairs when you look at it wrong and has some unique characteristics. For processing it we have to watch what feed wheels are ran, how tight they squeeze, and they can’t spin on the logs. Back in the Midwest you guys can run full spike rollers on your hardwoods that doesn’t fly and will get a no pay load real fast.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alder is very soft to put it nicely, chairs when you look at it wrong and has some unique characteristics. For processing it we have to watch what feed wheels are ran, how tight they squeeze, and they can’t spin on the logs. Back in the Midwest you guys can run full spike rollers on your hardwoods that doesn’t fly and will get a no pay load real fast.

Interesting, I have said it before and I'll say it again. I find it interesting how different logging is around the country. I think it would be neat to spend some time out west and in the east just to see what you guys are doing. If nothing else a guy would come away with more knowledge of the trade.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, not really experience with logger jargon, what is a "hot saw"?

A hot saw is a continuous spinning disc saw for a buncher that’s pushed through a tree before it’s normally grabbed.
@CLEARCUT he has one maybe he can describe it better.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The area I live in northern Minnesota is mainly hardwood but in the early 1900's it was just about strictly red and white pine. It was logged heavily until the late 40's or so. It then went through a time of "prairie" and now it's hardwood and pretty thick. There is spots where 2-300 year old white pines still stand and they are pretty impressive.

As a young boy my great grandpa had a job where he would go out at night and dump buckets of water on the logging roads to "ice the roads" I think he did that when he was 10-12 years old. Pretty crazy what kids did back then compared to today!

Last edited:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A hot saw is a continuous spinning disc saw for a buncher that’s pushed through a tree before it’s normally grabbed.
@CLEARCUT he has one maybe he can describe it better.

FB40EE68-4E8C-496E-A754-AABAFE2CE5F8.jpeg 0B84A307-4611-42AD-BC19-9CEDD043EF2C.jpeg 4ED7E274-5E56-4593-A558-37F845AE5D30.jpeg 3E467109-BD2A-4551-B5F0-9D3E928B25B3.jpeg 7BC4013C-92E1-4C58-B43D-72B0B67C90F1.jpeg Here’s my buncher. Like @Skeans1 said, a continuous rotation disc saw-head. You cut the tree, grab it, and then put it in a pile or what-not. Not that simple in reality, but that’s the concept.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The "cutters" look like the carbide cutters on my stump grinder. I assume that means the disc really grinds through the tree instead of cutting it.
These aren’t carbide tipped, although they do have some. I’d say that it does actually cut, as there are some decent sized chips getting strewn about.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag