The forestry and logging pictures thread

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 296538View attachment 296539I’d like to make some fence posts, as I’m running out of railroad ties, and treated fir and pine are very pricey. I’ve got plenty of Port Orford and Incense cedar of the right size on the place. I was thinking about peeling them, drying, and then soaking the bottom 3 feet or so in diesel or oil. Anybody tried that? I’m not sure how long they’d last, or if it’s just a waste of time, but I don’t really want to pay $40 for a 6”treated pine post.
find somebody w a woodstove. scrape out the chimney, add water. soak post. done.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
brackish, meaning salty, meaning it doesnt support the kind of life that rots posts. mud, meaning completely anaerobic, no rotting. bury a “treated” post these days in a moist area and you wont get 10 years out of it. mold and algae have basically nothing to do with posts rotting. read the tag on a treated piece of lumber, it will say copper-azole treated. the azole is for propiconazole, or a similar DMI fungicide. both copper and -azole compounds are strong anti-fungal agents.
Agree to disagree, also mold is a fungus.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree to disagree, also mold is a fungus.
molds really dont have the enzyme action required to break down lignin (the stuff that makes wood hard). while molds may be present on wood, and can be a warning sign the conditions are ripe for the fungi that do actually break down wood, its just doesnt work that way. its just science dude.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
d2078bfdd037b4ede05d8f4c8e1b5982.jpg

Looks like summer is officially started for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda makes you wonder why they were left? Maybe the faller got tramped and never went back for his stashed tools or something along those lines.
There has been so many found I think when a handle broke they just tossed them. That is the way it seems anyway. The rigging crew has found a bunch of cool stuff.
I imagine the camps up there were pretty impressive