The forestry and logging pictures thread

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sometimes think to myself, I should get one of my 660's ported, not because they don't get through the wood good, but just because "more power" (Tim Taylor grunts). Then I see pictures of enormous trees felled, and men standing there with a crosscut saw, and think to myself, I have it pretty good with a stock 660.

Those pictures beyond impress the hell out of me.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sometimes think to myself, I should get one of my 660's ported, not because they don't get through the wood good, but just because "more power" (Tim Taylor grunts). Then I see pictures of enormous trees felled, and men standing there with a crosscut saw, and think to myself, I have it pretty good with a stock 660.

Ain’t that the truth [emoji106]

Sent from Hoskey Hills

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My great grandfather was on a Weyerhaeuser hand-falling crew for 22 years. He said you get used to the rhythm of using the axes and a big crosscut. The key there is having a good falling partner -
someone that you can work good with. He said it wasn't as important to get along with your falling partner as long as you trusted their judgment and they did their share. Falling teams were two
to eight men in most cases.

His son, my grandpa, made the transition from real hand-falling to the earliest electric and then gas-powered saws. That was the era when men transitioned from real falling teams
to "single jacking", where you would work on your own most of the day with your partner just over the hill in case something happened.

His son, my dad, broke in during the high-baller days of big gas saws (McCullochs, Pioneers, Homelites), big wood, and taking entire jobs under contract. My dad had jobs where he was
making as much a day in 1971 as I was in 2005.

I broke in during the very last of the big wood, transitioning into commercial thinning and mowing second-growth down on straight-falling jobs. It's pretty amazing how the woods have
changed in the west in the last 140 years.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My great grandfather was on a Weyerhaeuser hand-falling crew for 22 years. He said you get used to the rhythm of using the axes and a big crosscut. The key there is having a good falling partner -
someone that you can work good with. He said it wasn't as important to get along with your falling partner as long as you trusted their judgment and they did their share. Falling teams were two

His son, my grandpa, made the transition from real hand-falling to the earliest electric and then gas-powered saws. That was the era when men transitioned from real falling teams
to "single jacking", where you would work on your own most of the day with your partner just over the hill in case something happened.

His son, my dad, broke in during the high-baller days of big gas saws (McCullochs, Pioneers, Homelites), big wood, and taking entire jobs under contract. My dad had jobs where he was

I broke in during the very last of the big wood, transitioning into commercial thinning and mowing second-growth down on straight-falling jobs. It's pretty amazing how the woods have

I had no idea there were electric chainsaws, before gas powered saws. I did a quick search and all I found was a a couple pictures of old 2 man electric saws. Were there both, 2 man and single operator electric saws? I never knew there was such a thing back then, and it's especially interesting to me, they were used in the logging industry.

Also thanks for sharing your family timeline! Pretty cool your family has been through all those different "era's" of logging and gives me a little bit of an idea how fast things advanced.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

yes it’s unbeleivable hats off to these men

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That’s a good history your family line has worked hard over the years

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice sugar. Good quality tree.
6dcb8ac1c167eef6c6cf5694aa5fe833.jpg

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are very skilled in matching your cuts, something which anyone who has done any bore cutting at all knows isn’t a walk in the park. An acquired skill that I am still learning myself.
Theres no lining up of cuts. Notch her and bore in behind the notch on the lean side and bring her around. Easy as that. Hahahahaha