High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Bulletproof Garage - Project Car and Truck Shenanigans and Fiascos...

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The truck sat in a field for 15 or so years, so everything needs attention. In other words, I have enough to do to keep the videos coming for a year or more.

That is Adam's quotable quotes for any of the build threads he is involved with. I heard that at least a dozen times in my build thread!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fun facts about the 7.3 IDI Turbo.

It was only in production for around 6 months in the 1994 model year. So you had three diesels to choose from in 94. IDI, IDI turbo, and Power stroke.

It was meant for high elevation driving, not performance. Around 5 psi was max boost.

You cannot safely put a turbo on a non turbo IDI. There where a lot of internal differences between the NA and turbo engines. Yes, it will work but it won't be reliable. You also won't really get much gain for the amount of work required unless you build the engine for higher boost levels.

Now going from a locked up 6.9 to a 7.3 turbo, yes, you will feel a difference! :D

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It was only in production for around 6 months in the 1994 model year. So you had three diesels to choose from in 94. IDI, IDI turbo, and Power stroke.

It was meant for high elevation driving, not performance. Around 5 psi was max boost.

You cannot safely put a turbo on a non turbo IDI. There where a lot of internal differences between the NA and turbo engines. Yes, it will work but it won't be reliable. You also won't really get much gain for the amount of work required unless you build the engine for higher boost levels.

Now going from a locked up 6.9 to a 7.3 turbo, yes, you will feel a difference! :D

the ATS designed kit for 94 idi was detuned because of the release of the power stroke. Lots of people have successfully run ats, banks, hyper max kits on the Ford and Chevy idi diesels for many miles.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the ATS designed kit for 94 idi was detuned because of the release of the power stroke. Lots of people have successfully run ats, banks, hyper max kits on the Ford and Chevy idi diesels for many miles.

Did not realize ATS designed the factory turbo kit. There where quite I few design changes between the NA and the turbo base engine. Biggest difference was larger wrist pins in the turbo block. Service manual is worded pretty strongly against turbocharging a stock NA engine.

Did some more research and found most people are getting good life out of their turboed NA engines. Really liked my Turbo IDI but they are hard to find a decent one now.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Correct - 3 engines in 1994. Most folks agree that the '93 and '94 7.3 IDI turbo was underrated in hp and torque given the pending introduction of the PowerStroke in mid-1994.

Folks are definitely putting turbos on non-turbo IDI's, including 6.9's, but not so sure on the success rates. The problem with a 6.9 is the smaller head studs at 7/16" and the 7.3 got 1/2". As for the 7.3 IDI NA versus the 7.3 IDI turbo, the turbo engine has better connecting rods with 33 mm wrist pins versus the non-turbo 28 mm wrist pins, different pistons (anodized crowns to prevent cracking), different exhaust valves, better oil cooler, different style piston rings, etc.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you go .060?

I think the factory spec says nothing past .030" -- likely because these are thin-walled blocks compared to the 6.9, and more prone to cavitation issues. With the added heat from a turbo, most folks get leery even at .030". Even if you could physically bore to .060" I don't think anyone makes turbo pistons past .040" so it would be a custom piston order, too.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the factory spec says nothing past .030" -- likely because these are thin-walled blocks compared to the 6.9, and more prone to cavitation issues. With the added heat from a turbo, most folks get leery even at .030". Even if you could physically bore to .060" I don't think anyone makes turbo pistons past .040" so it would be a custom piston order, too.

Gotcha. Are your plans to source a running 7.3 and go through that one?

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotcha. Are your plans to source a running 7.3 and go through that one?

I have located a running F350 that's really only good for parts. It has a 7.3 IDI/auto. Will be a few days before I can pick it up.

If that doesn't work, I have the 6.9 that came out of the truck, but it would definitely need to be bored and maybe one cylinder sleeved.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have located a running F350 that's really only good for parts. It has a 7.3 IDI/auto. Will be a few days before I can pick it up.

If that doesn't work, I have the 6.9 that came out of the truck, but it would definitely need to be bored and maybe one cylinder sleeved.

Nice! I hope you are able to get a good block from that other truck. An IDI turbo will be worth it!

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! I hope you are able to get a good block from that other truck. An IDI turbo will be worth it!

If it's what it's said to be (super low mile good-running truck) and compression check is good, I'm likely to stab it in as-is - naturally aspirated, but likely with fresh injectors and glow plugs.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's what it's said to be (super low mile good-running truck) and compression check is good, I'm likely to stab it in as-is - naturally aspirated, but likely with fresh injectors and glow plugs.
Not tempted to build a 7.3 turbo out of the garage motor and the parts trucks best bits?