High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Bulletproof Garage - Project Car and Truck Shenanigans and Fiascos...

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not tempted to build a 7.3 turbo out of the garage motor and the parts trucks best bits?

Definitely tempted, but I'm inclined to use it NA. If/when I build a turbo motor, I'd want to build something that's purpose built for boost and that will cost some $ and take some time.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely tempted, but I'm inclined to use it NA. If/when I build a turbo motor, I'd want to build something that's purpose built for boost and that will cost some $ and take some time.

That would be a very neat project. I don't think I've seen a built IDI. Just turbo kits and exhaust.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not super familiar with these, we don't have very many down here. How is boost regulated? Is it just exhaust housing limited rather than waste gated?

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be a very neat project. I don't think I've seen a built IDI. Just turbo kits and exhaust.

I'm not looking to do anything wild; the 7.3 IDI turbo is rated at 388 ft/lbs of torque at the crank. I'd like to get close to 500 ft/lbs at the tires. That will require a well-built bottom end, head studs, different camshaft, better valvesprings, upgraded injection pump, premium head gaskets, upgrade to downpipe and exhaust, and an upgrade to the turbo. It should be able to handle 15 psi boost, tops.

EDIT: I'd also have to add gauges to track EGT's and boost.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not super familiar with these, we don't have very many down here. How is boost regulated? Is it just exhaust housing limited rather than waste gated?

The stock turbos have a wastegate, set at about 7 PSI, but a 7.3 in good condition can handle about twice that much.