teach me on the husqvarna 55

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the 55cp are known as EPA models. I bet the carbs were too lean.

In the late '90's the cp and op ai saws as well as the rancher version were all available at the same time and anything after epa '97 all had epa phase 1 compliance labels. So at that point they all were subject to the same standard.

Not long after the ranchers had replaced the ai saws in the early 2000's, the more stringent epa phase 2 kicked in.
You'd think then that, if any, the later ranchers would have suffered more from lean tuning from the factory.
Or maybe by then they had they're act together and had it figured out better, IDK...

Also the ai saws came standard with .325 18" 7 spur and the ranchers with 3/8 20" 7 pin rim, the later being a bit much for this saw IMO.
I always assumed that was a marketing thing but I now wonder if it had anything to do with how they were tested for noise/emissions, ie, keeping revs down under load or something...

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
carb is damn touchy but already got 5 tanks through it, nice saw but don't let it idle on the ground long it continuously pumps oil
Yep carb on mine is junk .at wot it will die out just like its running out of gas.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 55 has the rim sprocket set up Iam going to guess 7t is there other options for these and were would I find them ? This is going to be a limbing saw.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My 55 has the rim sprocket set up Iam going to guess 7t is there other options for these and were would I find them ? This is going to be a limbing saw.
im running 8 pin .325 on mine it seems to like it 18'' bar btw.

wiersy111

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Alright guys parts for my Husky 51 project. I am going to have some questions as I go. Iam doing a gasket dete with tis saw and putting a 46mm top end. One question I already have is when using the permatex 518 how do you ensure none gets in the impulse port? Will giving it a shot of air make sure its clear?

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here are a couple of videos of the completed intake bolt upgrade on the 51 I'm turing into a 55. Parts all arrived at Bob's today and as soon as he ships them to me I'll be getting together with Dan @paragonbuilder to put this thing together. The 55 cylinder / piston we plan to install is the currently available OEM 55 open port setup. While most seem to like closed port I'm cool with the 55 open port as it's an upgrade in CCs and I expect it to be more powerful. The muffler is in great shape so we can open that up and it will be all the saw the owner will need and enjoy.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here are a couple of videos of the completed intake bolt upgrade on the 51 I'm turing into a 55. Parts all arrived at Bob's today and as soon as he ships them to me I'll be getting together with Dan @paragonbuilder to put this thing together. The 55 cylinder / piston we plan to install is the currently available OEM 55 open port setup. While most seem to like closed port I'm cool with the 55 open port as it's an upgrade in CCs and I expect it to be more powerful. The muffler is in great shape so we can open that up and it will be all the saw the owner will need and enjoy.

use some sealant around the intake boot also when you assemble it.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
use some sealant around the intake boot also when you assemble it.

Thanks for the tip Jake. The intake boot is in perfect shape. I thought it's interesting these saws don't have a clamp on the intake boot like other huskys it seems the boot just goes in place and stays on jug and intake w/ friction.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Jake. The intake boot is in perfect shape. I thought it's interesting these saws don't have a clamp on the intake boot like other huskys it seems the boot just goes in place and stays on jug and intake w/ friction.
even with new boots you might get a air leak mine did also put a little around the impulse horn on the back of the intake plate thingy to keep it from leaking because it can also leak.

wiersy111

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IT'S ALIVE IT'S ALIVE!!!

My Husky 51 project saw roared to life tonight. the piston was scored so I put a 46mm P&C on it and did the gasket delete and put a decomp on it also. So now I have a 51/55 to add to the fleet. This is the first time I have torn a chainsaw apart that far and rebuilt it. Granted not the most desirable saw around but for a free saw it's pretty cool that I was able to bring it back from the junk pile. Don't know what I will do with it but maybe it put a short bar on it and use it as my ATV saw.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IT'S ALIVE IT'S ALIVE!!!

My Husky 51 project saw roared to life tonight. the piston was scored so I put a 46mm P&C on it and did the gasket delete and put a decomp on it also. So now I have a 51/55 to add to the fleet. This is the first time I have torn a chainsaw apart that far and rebuilt it. Granted not the most desirable saw around but for a free saw it's pretty cool that I was able to bring it back from the junk pile. Don't know what I will do with it but maybe it put a short bar on it and use it as my ATV saw.
Nice and hell Ive still seens some of these going 200+ and looking at what replaced them I'd take these any day
every day

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IT'S ALIVE IT'S ALIVE!!!

Congrats on your successful rebuild. The only open port saws these forums ever rave about are a Dolmar 6400 and the Stihl top handle saws. Anyone who sneers at a 51/55 has never run one

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has any gotten to the bottom of the oil pissing out while its just setting?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So this thing would leak faster than you could wipe now after setting 6 hours like this nothing? And yes I just filled it with. 1484396820796.jpg

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
mine doesn't leak when it isn't running.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell mine puts out more oil setting than running in my opinion

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you get done using the saw open the oil cap to vent the tank,Some times this works to stop the seepage.Be sure to close the cap after venting:D