41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
H
Before you even get to a grill, I'll go through what I look for in a steak. God only knows how bad I was starting out mainly because I didn't know what to look for.

You'll never go wrong with T-Bone, Porterhouse, striploin, filet migon or ribeye. Make sure your meat is thicker than 1 inch. Thin steaks only dry out and don't let you get a proper sear on the outside and cook the inside to your liking vs thick meat. Buy the highest grade you can.

Pat your steaks dry before seasoning. I season my steaks with salt pepper and garlic right before I fire up the grill.

Charcoal grills are a game changer. Get your grill up to temp before putting the steaks on. I aim for a temp of 500F and up. Whenever I get the chance I use my Charcoal grill to cook with. Get an instant read thermometer. It's the only true way to get your steaks done they way you want without being overdone. Temps change outside, meat thickness changes, variables ya know?

Once there is good grill marks I flip them over only once and cook them to temp. If you want to get fancy you could rotate them 90 degrees to get the cross hatch sear marks, but I don't bother.

Sometimes I let them rest for 5 to 10 mins under aluminum foil, sometimes I don't. Personally I don't see a difference.

Now I'm hungry.

Edit: Forgot pic, yes on my little gas grill, but it's modified so I can get higher temps.
View attachment 266580
How did you modify for higher temps?

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look up “Gugi foods” on YouTube and his salt experiment.

I salt and pepper, then let sit in fridge for 24 hours if possible. Take out and let get to room temp. Oil the steak before the grill.

Charcoal super hot. 1 min, then turn 45* for another min. Flip and do same on other side. Then take off, wrap in foil and let sit for 10 min to distribute the heat through the steak. This will vary depending on how thick the steak is, but the whole thing is to char the outside for flavor and then slowly cook the rest of the steak so the inside is homogenous color/cooked. You don’t want a purple center and well done outside. Sometimes I’ll indirect cook it after the outer char-I do a whole filet that way. Grill outer part and then into the oven at 250 for 30 more minutes. “Low and Slow” gets the center perfect. Some people Sou Vie steak and then burn outside with a torch, looks nasty to me.

The other variable I have found is the quality and cut of meat. The more prime and softer the meat is, the more cooked I generally like it. I’ll have a NY strip black and blue, but I find filet mignon slimey at the same doneness.

You've got to try a sous vide and sear. It's got to be the easiest way to get a perfectly cooked piece of meat. I wouldn't do a cut like T-bone any other way since you can't cook the 2 muscle groups and bone optimally any other way. Pork chops are a must sous vide and sear, perfectly rendered fat and light pink in the center with serious grillage on the outside. And best of all it's cheap and easy. Good thick steaks like rib eyes and porterhouses with lots of fat can be done just as well straight grilling them but it's tricky. Filet, NY Strip, anything thin will be easier and better with a sous vide and sear. I use a fan powered charcoal grill for the sear though. The torch is just for the creme brulee.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I might catch some weird looks for this but here goes.........

Whatever steak you picked out, never frozen, sea salt and fresh black pepper, let it come up to room temp before searing it on a screaming hot cast iron skillet with butter and olive oil for a few seconds on each side,

immediately put steak and skillet under a gas broiler flip when appropriate for your taste and its thickness.

pull it off, wooden cutting board loosely cover with foil for a few minutes, then eat the thing and make noises, roll your eyes and heckle your vegan wife.

That all being said, I'm normally cooking mostly thawed frozen NY strips from Piggly Wiggly on the Weber outside. But when I have good beef from my neighbors, I do the broiler thing.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heat is crucial, seasoning is too, but most important is resting the steak after cooking. Salt likes meat & meat likes salt but....salt also draws out moisture so I salt just before and just after cooking. And the biggest rule is to buy high quality product to begin with. Grain fed/ grass fed can both be good in there own ways, dry aged meat is worth paying for. Look for fat marbleing, also it's ok to leave a good bit of fat on the cut, nothing worse than a porterhouse having all the side fat removed.
I'm with you on the no salt. It does pull moisture from meat. That's why they use it to cure meats like country ham. It pulls the moisture out. I rub my steaks with garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper and let them sit for a few hours before putting them on the gas grill at 500 or 600 degrees 4 minutes each side for a medium rare 1" ribeye or strip.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm with you on the no salt. It does pull moisture from meat. That's why they use it to cure meats like country ham. It pulls the moisture out. I rub my steaks with garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper and let them sit for a few hours before putting them on the gas grill at 500 or 600 degrees 4 minutes each side for a medium rare 1" ribeye or strip.

This is only true for salting right before cooking. The salt draws moisture out but then the salt dissolves and re-absorbs over time. Plus the salts breaks down some connective tissue. This is why brining lean meats results in a more tender, juicier meat.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rub with Lawry's and leave out to warm up.
Cook on either hot grill or cast iron pan.
Flip when sweat starts to appear.
DO NOT flip again, just the one time.
And whatever you do, DO NOT cut steak to tell doneness.
Should take about the same amount of time for a medium/medium rare steak.
Get used to using the pressure method for telling doneness, no geeked out meat thermometers either.
With another minute or so to go, sprinkle with Cavender's Greek seasoning and a pat of butter to let melt on top.
take off and let sit a few minutes and serve with butter sauteed baby portabela mushrooms on top of steak and a side of fried asparagus in olive oil. Might skip the salad and baked potato unless you're super hungry.
Wash down with favorite adult beverage of choice.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rub with Lawry's and leave out to warm up.
Cook on either hot grill or cast iron pan.
Flip when sweat starts to appear.
DO NOT flip again, just the one time.
And whatever you do, DO NOT cut steak to tell doneness.
Should take about the same amount of time for a medium/medium rare steak.
Get used to using the pressure method for telling doneness, no geeked out meat thermometers either.
With another minute or so to go, sprinkle with Cavender's Greek seasoning and a pat of butter to let melt on top.
take off and let sit a few minutes and serve with butter sauteed baby portabela mushrooms on top of steak and a side of fried asparagus in olive oil. Might skip the salad and baked potato unless you're super hungry.
Wash down with favorite adult beverage of choice.
I like that Greek seasoning. I use it on a lot of foods.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont salt until cooking...allow cut to come up to room temp, kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, garlic powder and a dusting of cayenne pepper.

Sear hard 1 minute per side in a cast iron pan, flip, sear again for one more minute. Put pan into 450° oven and finish to desired internal temp. I prefer butter in my pan as opposed to oil personally.

Cut and fat grain is important, I wouldn't do that method with a Hanger steak or a filet mignon. The hard sear is best for thicker more fat marbled steaks...ie good ones.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
144A1737-A10C-4D0D-948A-58CB56D80061.jpeg

Garlic olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic.
Steak is on the grill, this is what it will rest in with butter on top, covered in foil.