High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Teach a young buck to make an amazing steak

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve been getting into cooking steaks for me and my friends and family lately. But I wanna know how to make it better. Whether it’s cooked on a grill or a cast iron skillet, I’m open to suggestions!

Here’s my recipe:
  • Start off with any steak of choice (I like prime bone-in ribeyes)
  • Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder
  • Put in the refrigerator for 6 hours to let the salt get into the meat
  • Pull steaks out and get my grill to 450°F
  • Put the steaks on and sear them for 3 minutes
  • Flip the steaks and sear the other side for 3 minutes
  • Reduce the heat to 400°F and cook to medium rare.
  • Take the steaks off
  • Put some garlic butter on them and dig in

I wanna know how I can improve on this. Share your way of cooking steaks (and remember them pictures).

Cheers, Brett

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got the right idea with seasoning early to let the salt pull in. I prefer larger flake kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.

If you like a steak more on the rare side it’s way more forgiving to allow it to warm up to room temp before throwing them on the grill. I don’t mind a rare steak, as long as it’s not cold in the center.

I usually pull them out of the fridge and season them 1-2 hours before I plan to cook them. Let them warm up to room temp in the paper covered in seasoning on the stone countertop. It’s a good heat sink.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try to salt a day ahead of time. Then I put them on a cooling rack over a plate, so all the surfaces can dry. I prefer cooking them over charcoal, and I will brush the steak with oil, add pepper and a little more salt right before grilling. For thin steaks (under an inch) I'll grill direct first to sear, flipping every 60-90 seconds until it looks good, then indirect until 125. For thicker steaks, I'll go indirect in the Weber with half a chimney until they're 110, pull and rest while a mostly full chimney is getting going. Then sear directly on a grate over the chimney, or dump the chimney in a basket and sear in the grill. After that, resting is crucial.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heat is crucial, seasoning is too, but most important is resting the steak after cooking. Salt likes meat & meat likes salt but....salt also draws out moisture so I salt just before and just after cooking. And the biggest rule is to buy high quality product to begin with. Grain fed/ grass fed can both be good in there own ways, dry aged meat is worth paying for. Look for fat marbleing, also it's ok to leave a good bit of fat on the cut, nothing worse than a porterhouse having all the side fat removed.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Prime Ribeye, kosher salt and desired seasoning, I like Bull *s-word, Sit in fridge un covered for 24 hour minimum. Sous vide @ 120 F for 1.5 to 4 hours. pull out and rest for 30 minutes, sear over lump hardwood charcoal at around 700 F to desired doneness per temp. Probe. Remember to pull 5-10 degrees early and rest up to temp.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been getting into cooking steaks for me and my friends and family lately. But I wanna know how to make it better. Whether it’s cooked on a grill or a cast iron skillet, I’m open to suggestions!

Here’s my recipe:
  • Start off with any steak of choice (I like 80/20 bone-in ribeyes)
  • Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder
  • Put in the refrigerator for 6 hours to let the salt get into the meat
  • Pull steaks out and get my grill to 450°F
  • Put the steaks on and sear them for 3 minutes
  • Flip the steaks and sear the other side for 3 minutes
  • Reduce the heat to 400°F and cook to medium rare.
  • Take the steaks off
  • Put some garlic butter on them and dig in

I wanna know how I can improve on this. Share your way of cooking steaks (and remember them pictures).

Cheers, Brett
I assume your using a gas grill?
Charcoal is an upgrade.
Your off to a good start with salt, pepper, garlic.
Add some fresh coffee grounds and a touch of cinnamon.
Habanero hot sauce isn’t awful on em either.

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

darkimpulse

Firewood Hack
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before you even get to a grill, I'll go through what I look for in a steak. God only knows how bad I was starting out mainly because I didn't know what to look for.

You'll never go wrong with T-Bone, Porterhouse, striploin, filet migon or ribeye. Make sure your meat is thicker than 1 inch. Thin steaks only dry out and don't let you get a proper sear on the outside and cook the inside to your liking vs thick meat. Buy the highest grade you can.

Pat your steaks dry before seasoning. I season my steaks with salt pepper and garlic right before I fire up the grill.

Charcoal grills are a game changer. Get your grill up to temp before putting the steaks on. I aim for a temp of 500F and up. Whenever I get the chance I use my Charcoal grill to cook with. Get an instant read thermometer. It's the only true way to get your steaks done they way you want without being overdone. Temps change outside, meat thickness changes, variables ya know?

Once there is good grill marks I flip them over only once and cook them to temp. If you want to get fancy you could rotate them 90 degrees to get the cross hatch sear marks, but I don't bother.

Sometimes I let them rest for 5 to 10 mins under aluminum foil, sometimes I don't. Personally I don't see a difference.

Now I'm hungry.

Edit: Forgot pic, yes on my little gas grill, but it's modified so I can get higher temps.
48F9CD6D-F906-41A2-A0A7-A964B8168E6A.jpeg

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look up “Gugi foods” on YouTube and his salt experiment.

I salt and pepper, then let sit in fridge for 24 hours if possible. Take out and let get to room temp. Oil the steak before the grill.

Charcoal super hot. 1 min, then turn 45* for another min. Flip and do same on other side. Then take off, wrap in foil and let sit for 10 min to distribute the heat through the steak. This will vary depending on how thick the steak is, but the whole thing is to char the outside for flavor and then slowly cook the rest of the steak so the inside is homogenous color/cooked. You don’t want a purple center and well done outside. Sometimes I’ll indirect cook it after the outer char-I do a whole filet that way. Grill outer part and then into the oven at 250 for 30 more minutes. “Low and Slow” gets the center perfect. Some people Sou Vie steak and then burn outside with a torch, looks nasty to me.

The other variable I have found is the quality and cut of meat. The more prime and softer the meat is, the more cooked I generally like it. I’ll have a NY strip black and blue, but I find filet mignon slimey at the same doneness.

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Salt n pepper, a dash of turmeric..

Let set overnight,,

Set out till meat is room temperature..

Turn smoker on 175, put steaks in until they reach 115 degrees..

Have super hot coal fire with post oak or hickory...and I mean HOT ,, Slap steak on fire and sear hell out of them i like a nice char ..

Let them rest 15 minutes with a slab of butter rubbed on them .

Eat

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk