Stihl ms 460/660 Hybrid. 469e

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark intake at BDC, make sure to mark the intake walls, not just the floor. Then pull the jug and piston, put the rings on the piston, insert and clock to your mark.

On this one, I wouldn’t widen all the way to the skirt. What does your V3 piston look like now?
It's the one on the right. Only thing I changed from this picture was I raised the full circle skirts, beneath the pin boss, and tapered out to skirt majors. 20240313_214229.jpg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would go in baby steps if you’re opening the lowers. Tree monkey 066’s flat out haul ass without touching the lower transfers. Breadcrumbs…

Different piston.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Dolkitafreak . Ethan you build spreed sheets and wicked race saws... What's your take on all this Tom-foolery?
Great thread, I love seeing the effort and modifications necessary for these types of builds. You’ve done a lot of work keeping everything clean and as proper as it can be! Takes serious time.

I’d be getting more air through that HD, numbers are fairly close to what I would start at. Seems to be running decent.

Typically if you’re willing to do this much work I’d look at adapter a crank with a longer stroke before cylinder swaps personally!

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize that. But

Yeah. Baby steps.

If it weren’t for the uneven transfers I would leave the jug alone and focus on the carb.

Maybe it’s best to just fix the uppers and nothing else. Test again.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not by much. Heavier.

I was thinking the full circle obstructs the lowers more than the stock piston. And 660 has a bigger case. 460 with that fat piston has less case volume, so stretching the lowers is less risky.

But now I think that’s too many things at once. Get the transfers square. Leave everything else alone. This is already a functional build. Too many tweaks at once could really set you back.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking the full circle obstructs the lowers more than the stock piston. And 660 has a bigger case. 460 with that fat piston has less case volume, so stretching the lowers is less risky.

But now I think that’s too many things at once. Get the transfers square. Leave everything else alone. This is already a functional build. Too many tweaks at once could really set you back.
Oh from here on, it's one at a time.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
660 has a bigger case. 460 with that fat piston has less case volume, so stretching the lowers is less risky.
I've been contemplating about big bore short stroke with small case volume creating excessive turbulence/flow characteristics (chaos)... my thoughts are it would hit hard from an idle but at WOT the charge isn't flowing smooth due to the excess. I'm wondering if a larger chamber or a slight transfer volume increase would yield slower but smoother flow characteristics... 🤔
Agreed. 1 small thing at a time with great baseline notes as well as detailed notes of changes and results of those changes.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely needs work but not too bad, looks like it has way more blowdown than I’d like but I’ll find out when I time it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 6

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely needs work but not too bad, looks like it has way more blowdown than I’d like but I’ll find out when I time it.
That look as rough as mine. We probably bought them from the same place. It'll all come down to plating, in the bitter end😂

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same as mine. The transfers are tight enough... Leaves room to lift. Kinda.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ohhhhh yeah! I was going to make the lower full circle skirt thingys into air scraper fans like that! What is that?

That’s just junk. I just did that to take a photo. Better than trying to describe it.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, not a ton of meat in the band to cut out of the 46 BB. I got just enough out to run a 660 piston with a base gasket.