Stihl MS-261 vs Echo CS-501P?

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would get the cheapest saw of the two which will be the Echo, given you have saws already, one bigger and one smaller. The Echo is not as strong as a 261, so if you really need the power then get the 261, the 261 is also smoother in the hand, less vibes, / buzz, I had three 501 saws and for me the buzz really disappointed me, the saws were great other than that, their small size and light weight are a blessing though, and no Mtronic so just about anyone can work on them, tune them or replace the carb if need be, same with the coil, no computer required, no matching up newly replaced coil with rest of saw using a computer.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've clear-cut and bucked up about 2 acres of Alaskan birch with the 4910(cheaper 501p). Took a long time to break in, and was significantly more powerful after a coupla of 10 hrs days of bucking.

On the 4910, muffler is really dented up, it's too thin. The clutch cover is really flimsy. The filter cover is absurdly thin. I can see why they're so light.

The 261 is definitely a tougher built saw with a much nicer magnesium clutch cover and a nicer air filter. Stihl did a great job on the 261.
20230115-133041.jpg

20220609-124843.jpg
I would agree, the 261 is a better saw, stronger too, but I hate Mt and At.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Apples to oranges. The 261 is the better all around saw. 261 also strato design, so burns less fuel.

261 available in autotune which is actually great. I used to be against it, but now I wish all of my saws had it.

Forget about the warranty. Echo isn’t known to be good about it, do some web research. It seems that they find a way to blame the consumer and not make good on things. Your dealer might be good enough to change that.

I’ve been deep in the bowels of both saws. The 261 is the better saw, but it’s more expensive too.
What is better about the bowels of the MS261 compared to the CS-501, I ask because am looking into getting a 50cc saw, had three 501 saws and sold them when their work was done, I never compared them to a 261 as I had none, looking into the manual carb version of the 261 now, the tear down hotsaws101 did on the 261 carbed he had does not convince me the saw is in any way better than the 501 build ways, starter assembly screws go into plastic, think the 501 had steel inserts, am talking about the 261 Mk2 , the Echo 501 is almost the same price here in Ireland as the 261 Mk2, so that complicates it more, which really is the longer lasting saw given the same care, one thing the MS261 has over the Echo off the shelf is it is has more power, and I do not want to mod a new saw, other then muffler.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In stock form the 261 has a significant power advantage. Parts and maintenance will be cheaper and easier on the 501.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In stock form the 261 has a significant power advantage. Parts and maintenance will be cheaper and easier on the 501.
Thanks for posting. It is easier for me to get Stihl parts where I live, I got off to a rocky start with the dealer but they did try to put things right, and I have to give credit to them for that. Echo saws are sold here in a lot of small stores that do repairs etc, but they do not hold any stock of parts, they have to be ordered, the closest echo dealer to me is so busy with bigger machinery he does not even open until March and is closed for the winter, I tried another store locally, they are great at ordering online and collecting in store (saws), am just going to order a muffler part today to see if they are as good when it comes to low value items.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its the non Mtronic model am interested in, so no need to go to dealer for costly computer diagnostics.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the US you can order Echo parts on line. Stihl has to be through a dealer or second hand if you can find it.

Both saws are pretty easy to work on, but the Echo has a more open layout with fewer parts molded and shaped to fit. It’s a very straightforward design. The 261 is a bit more of a puzzle. The parts are heavily engineered and have a lot of interlocking, low tolerance relationships. Classic Stihl. It’s a marvel of engineering and you pay for it.

And the 261 has the power. We run 20” .325 full chisel on stock 261s at work and they do great no matter the wood. A 501 is pretty disappointing with a 20” bar.

I would also go for Non-Mtronic.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the US you can order Echo parts on line. Stihl has to be through a dealer or second hand if you can find it.

Both saws are pretty easy to work on, but the Echo has a more open layout with fewer parts molded and shaped to fit. It’s a very straightforward design. The 261 is a bit more of a puzzle. The parts are heavily engineered and have a lot of interlocking, low tolerance relationships. Classic Stihl. It’s a marvel of engineering and you pay for it.

And the 261 has the power. We run 20” .325 full chisel on stock 261s at work and they do great no matter the wood. A 501 is pretty disappointing with a 20” bar.

I would also go for Non-Mtronic.
Ordered some Echo parts to test their response. I agree 100%, the 261 is a work of art, hotsaws101 did a lot of poking and twisting around the carb linkage and that area, he was almost out of interesting quotes by the time he got it stripped, even the handlebar had him hung up for a time. Looking at the two jugs, the echo seems to be the less restricted.
What is all this talk about ghosting hotsaws101 talks of in the Stihls, the strato ones, never heard of it in the Echo domain.
@Ketchup , that 261 with the 20 inch bar, is it standard carb, is the MK2 saw.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered some Echo parts to test their response. I agree 100%, the 261 is a work of art, hotsaws101 did a lot of poking and twisting around the carb linkage and that area, he was almost out of interesting quotes by the time he got it stripped, even the handlebar had him hung up for a time. Looking at the two jugs, the echo seems to be the less restricted.
What is all this talk about ghosting hotsaws101 talks of in the Stihls, the strato ones, never heard of it in the Echo domain.
@Ketchup , that 261 with the 20 inch bar, is it standard carb, is the MK2 saw.

We have 4 261s. One is a V1, 3 are V2.

Although the 501 cylinder appears more traditional in design, the transfers are shaped to be quite restrictive. That’s why porting wakes them up so well. They also have a smaller carb. 261 is a strato, but was designed right up to the edge of EPA restrictions. The Echo is lighter and more nimble, the Stihl cuts bigger.

Eddie Southgate

One Step Ahead Of The Law
Local time
2:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Southern Middle Tennessee and Hillsboro Alabama
Country flag
261 all day long. Bought mine and loved it so much that I bought a second one. Was lucky and caught the good drf256 in a mood to port one so I sent him the first one and it is now my go to saw for 90% of all my needs. I will be using it today in a 90 foot hickory that tried ( kinda did ) to take out one end of my house Tuesday afternoon when a storm came through my area. Insurance is paying me $500 to cut it and rehome the debris.

drf256 : Guess you can tell I'm still loving the saw ! Gave the second one to my son , he might want your help sometime in the future.

TreeTard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
261 all day long. Bought mine and loved it so much that I bought a second one. Was lucky and caught the good drf256 in a mood to port one so I sent him the first one and it is now my go to saw for 90% of all my needs. I will be using it today in a 90 foot hickory that tried ( kinda did ) to take out one end of my house Tuesday afternoon when a storm came through my area. Insurance is paying me $500 to cut it and rehome the debris.

drf256 : Guess you can tell I'm still loving the saw ! Gave the second one to my son , he might want your help sometime in the future.
This is perfect. The 261 is honestly my most home owner recommended saw. Power to weight is nice and just about all most people actually "need"