Stihl 044/ms440

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the 046 i bought yesterday i called the guy and asked when i could come look at it and he said something about the next day and i said well i can come now . never let grass grow under your feet and buy it if its a good price or something you want

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was the last day of tax season, no way possible I could have made the trip, was difficult enough to find the time to call him, and he agreed to hold it "no problem"! Life goes on.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks chaps, but yeah you're right I'm sure there'll be other deals to be had, guess I'll put the cash aside for the square grinder instead!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes when a good deal is in front of you, ya gotta back yourself and strike while the iron is hot. A good trader knows this after experiencing the same pain the OP has by missing out. Its nice to seek advice from others to 'feel' your making a good decision but good deals don't wait for slow hearts. Next time put ya balls on the chopping block and take it B4 the other guy does.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Okay guys I have an update, the other buyer has backed out but now the seller seems to have realised what it's worth, and is asking £650, equivalent of about $925.

What do you chaps think? Does anyone on here want it at that price? Might be a bit much for me but I'd be happy to buy and post it out at cost as a favour to someone

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds pretty steep to me. I'm sure it'd be a runner, but it's not like it's NOS original. Kind of a Frankenstein. A nice Frankenstein, but still.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Okay guys I have an update, the other buyer has backed out but now the seller seems to have realised what it's worth, and is asking £650, equivalent of about $925.

What do you chaps think? Does anyone on here want it at that price? Might be a bit much for me but I'd be happy to buy and post it out at cost as a favour to someone
Sounds a bit much. I bought a nib nos 440 for 850 in spring time.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That price is no longer a bargain for a saw you wish to run. Make him a lower offer and see what happens. It would really help if we knew what the saw ran like. It is not super collectible, cause it has 044 stickers and 440 air filter covers, so it "does not match". Perhaps you can point that out and get the price down.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm tempted to leave it now, similar to what dall said I'm a bit pissed off at how he deals and would rather not give him a penny of my hard earned cash!

There will always be more deals to be had

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe toss an offer of $50 Euro over the first one if you really want it.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's why where here:) I agree a deal is a deal.

It's interesting how people have different ideas about online sales. In this case, I'd agree with Norm. If the guy agreed to make the sale, then a deal was struck, and the honorable thing to do is finish the transaction. If he never agreed to do the deal, though, I think he's within his rights to change the price.

In our town, we've got a "things for sale" section on Facebook. I don't use FB, but my wife does. We had a nice galvanized roost box for laying hens. 8 or 10 nest boxes. We didn't need it, so she listed it on FB. She never consulted me about the price, and listed it too low. Within a couple minutes she had several responses in the form of private messages that she did not respond to. I told her to relist the item as "best offer".

Within twenty minutes, someone offered her 5x what she originally listed it for. Anyway, the first guy to PM her was livid. Started another post that showed her posts and said that people like her were "ruining the site". Apparently, he (and a few others, but not everyone) feel that the seller is obligated to sell their item to the first person to message them.

I understand that he was upset he didn't get the item, and my wife did apologize to him, but honestly, if all you did was PM someone, they have no obligation to do anything. She could have decided to keep the item, or sell it to a friend, or relist it at a higher price. She still owned the item, so she can do with it as she pleases.

Several times while making deals online or through texts with a Craigslist seller, I've useda "virtual handshake" type agreement. In my mind, there's no honorable way to back out after that. Still no real consequences, though.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do agree with this fully, however the chap and I had agreed a price that we were both happy with, I was waiting for him to get back to me with payment details.

Ah well you win some you lose some

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do agree with this fully, however the chap and I had agreed a price that we were both happy with, I was waiting for him to get back to me with payment details.

I'm with you on this one. If an agreement is struck, and the seller backs out, he'd better have a real good reason. Raising the price definitely doesn't count.

Right you are, though. Ya win some you lose some. Better luck next time!!

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yep somebody probably said oh I'll give you extra. And he took it I bet.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Best you didn't get it , seems a bit fishy this "other" guy backs out and all of a sudden the price shoots up .
I think it's a buyer beware saw .