High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

squish bands

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I see quit a few guys cut the squish to raise compression. The squish angle always appears to be flat.
Why not angle it properly to squeeze mixture toward the center of the chamber as motorcycles or sleds do?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wider, flat, tight squish band supposedly reduces the chance of detonation. A nice bevel on the edge of squish headed to the combustion chamber is customary. Air and fuel mix pushed against the squish and upper cylinder wall only has one way to go.

That being said, my 066 has a narrower squish with an 0.030 taper towards the combustion chamber and runs very well. Couldn't tell ya which was is better, I doubt you would notice the difference between the two

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
some one on a different site may argue with that and provide "proof" with links and stuffs...... :crybaby2: (hint, hint)

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on the method you use to cut them they will usually end up with at least a very slight taper.
Lathe would (or should) be flat. Depending on the dowel or fixture set up a slight taper would be fairly easy to accomplish.
Especially if you use emery or sandpaper on a dowel for finish sanding and blending.
I doubt there would be a noticeable or measurable difference between dead flat and a slight taper.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An Indian feller named Somender Sing is doing some interesting things with squish bands, putting cuts and passages to direct charge. I have wanted to mod and test some of Sings ideas in a saw. While lots of old, older and ancient squish designs are currently used in 2T, since a german came up with an idea 80odd year ago not much has really improved or changed. It seems high out put 2t are going with flat piston with transfers angled to shoot straight across the piston but their are many variations depending on engine application number of ports etc. Angling transfers upward may be a good milling mod but due to the symetry required you would want a few hundred hours using a foredom under ya belt to get accurate good results.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you do to saws with domed pistons?
You can cut them at an angle. The 500p I just did I put it on a 3 degree angle as thats what seemed to match the piston the best. These pistion are to thin to cut flat. But say an 026 stihl. Tree monkey it! :)

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is just no real good reason to angle the squish band on a chain saw...
No need to cut a squish band on an 028 super at all..
It's domed already.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can cut them at an angle. The 500p I just did I put it on a 3 degree angle as thats what seemed to match the piston the best. These pistion are to thin to cut flat. But say an 026 stihl. Tree monkey it! :)
Or.. Back over it with a truck...