So what's your "real" job?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Falling trees for a living in the west isn't as much fun as it used to be. I got burned out on the straight-falling gigs pretty quickly. I did about seven years falling total. This is from late 1995 on a job near
Scottsburg, Oregon.

You miss cutting the jack seats or packing out the backpack jacks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I facilitate arguments between landowners, AKA land surveyor.

Actually, now that I work for a municipality, I mostly just do surveys for sewer repairs/upgrades and new curbs. The security is nice but the work ain't very intellectually stimulating.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You didn't really buy into that bs did you?

I don't think that line of thinking is entirely BS. There is some credence to it...

For a frame of reference as to my "street cred" on the subject, I am currently a Sr Project Manager on a Corporate Engineering team. Started life after the Army as a millwright apprentice, broke out a journeyman 4 yrs later, went on to get a state electrician license, structural, pipe, and pressure vessel welding certs, began working on controls and PLCs, got into machine design work, and somewhere down the road ended up as a foreman, supervisor, manager, etc.

I've worked on every major kind of manufacturing equipment in various industries - graphite, heavy industry, food processing, appliance, automotive, plastic and resin processing handling, paper manufacturing, material handling, etc.

Now I manage plant turnarounds and major capital installations globally - in 2014 & 2015 I built a greenfield plant in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and in years following have decommissioned sites in Canada, Spain, Germany, Italy, Austria, and the US. I've managed equipment installations and plants in China, Singapore, and countless other countries in that neck of the woods.

For a brief period of time, I have been a plant manager and manufacturing director as well but prefer to stay on the engineering side of the equation.

I am the guy they send into a plant when everything is burning down and bleeding cash. I evaluate everything from financial performance down the GL account level to identify critical inputs and cost drivers, to maintenance, engineering, and facility systems. I identify weakness in the entire plant and drop them into 3 primary buckets - people, process, and equipment. I drill down further to determine root cause of system failures and develop a corrective action plan to return the site to profitability. 90+% of the time, the issues are identified as poor morale of the operations employees (production and maintenance) due to a lack of effective plant management, both at the department and site level. So at times, I am the ax man as well. I lay out a personal improvement plant to various leaders in the company, give them a period of time to self-correct, and then when they fail to pass muster, I send them packing. This typically results in me being asked to run the operation in the interim (typically 4-6 months), solicit applicants (both internal and external), select a management team for the site, hire them, and lay out the plan of action for a new management team.

We are a company with over 249 manufacturing sites globally and have a foot print on every continent. So my area of responsibility is wide ranging and I never know where I will end up each month.

I said all that to say this - having worked in every country in the western world and some in the far east and middle east, there is a change happening in manufacturing. It is happening in corporate offices and headquarters from Zurich, Switzerland to Chicago, New York, Dallas, Charlotte, and every other major corporate hub. Tariffs that have been in place and the requirements surrounding both USMCA and the new China trade deal. Where components are sourced, produced, manufactured, assembled, and sold are all being impacted by these deals, some negative and some positive impacts.
  • The positive impacts are for the employees - wages are now competitive as the employee now has opportunity to jump ship for greener pastures like never before. This also forces companies to improve the benefits, work schedules, etc.
  • The negative impacts have primarily hit the companies - raw materials for the product being produced and sold have increased in price if being sourced OCONUS, which has also translated into a more diversified supply chain and returning some manufacturing to the US, which is then translated in additional job growth, which again increases the opportunity of the employee even further. It is what we refer to as a circular argument or self fulfilling prophesy.
So yes, there is some credence to these trade deals having a drastic impact on the US and European business model, which in turn is benefitting the unemployment sector and the countries these company reside in.

To believe otherwise is contrary to the evidence I have witnessed in every boardroom I have sat in over the last 10 years...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that line of thinking is entirely BS. There is some credence to it...

For a frame of reference as to my "street cred" on the subject, I am currently a Sr Project Manager on a Corporate Engineering team. Started life after the Army as a millwright apprentice, broke out a journeyman 4 yrs later, went on to get a state electrician license, structural, pipe, and pressure vessel welding certs, began working on controls and PLCs, got into machine design work, and somewhere down the road ended up as a foreman, supervisor, manager, etc.

I've worked on every major kind of manufacturing equipment in various industries - graphite, heavy industry, food processing, appliance, automotive, plastic and resin processing handling, paper manufacturing, material handling, etc.

Now I manage plant turnarounds and major capital installations globally - in 2014 & 2015 I built a greenfield plant in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and in years following have decommissioned sites in Canada, Spain, Germany, Italy, Austria, and the US. I've managed equipment installations and plants in China, Singapore, and countless other countries in that neck of the woods.

For a brief period of time, I have been a plant manager and manufacturing director as well but prefer to stay on the engineering side of the equation.

I am the guy they send into a plant when everything is burning down and bleeding cash. I evaluate everything from financial performance down the GL account level to identify critical inputs and cost drivers, to maintenance, engineering, and facility systems. I identify weakness in the entire plant and drop them into 3 primary buckets - people, process, and equipment. I drill down further to determine root cause of system failures and develop a corrective action plan to return the site to profitability. 90+% of the time, the issues are identified as poor morale of the operations employees (production and maintenance) due to a lack of effective plant management, both at the department and site level. So at times, I am the ax man as well. I lay out a personal improvement plant to various leaders in the company, give them a period of time to self-correct, and then when they fail to pass muster, I send them packing. This typically results in me being asked to run the operation in the interim (typically 4-6 months), solicit applicants (both internal and external), select a management team for the site, hire them, and lay out the plan of action for a new management team.

We are a company with over 249 manufacturing sites globally and have a foot print on every continent. So my area of responsibility is wide ranging and I never know where I will end up each month.

I said all that to say this - having worked in every country in the western world and some in the far east and middle east, there is a change happening in manufacturing. It is happening in corporate offices and headquarters from Zurich, Switzerland to Chicago, New York, Dallas, Charlotte, and every other major corporate hub. Tariffs that have been in place and the requirements surrounding both USMCA and the new China trade deal. Where components are sourced, produced, manufactured, assembled, and sold are all being impacted by these deals, some negative and some positive impacts.
  • The positive impacts are for the employees - wages are now competitive as the employee now has opportunity to jump ship for greener pastures like never before. This also forces companies to improve the benefits, work schedules, etc.
  • The negative impacts have primarily hit the companies - raw materials for the product being produced and sold have increased in price if being sourced OCONUS, which has also translated into a more diversified supply chain and returning some manufacturing to the US, which is then translated in additional job growth, which again increases the opportunity of the employee even further. It is what we refer to as a circular argument or self fulfilling prophesy.
So yes, there is some credence to these trade deals having a drastic impact on the US and European business model, which in turn is benefitting the unemployment sector and the countries these company reside in.

To believe otherwise is contrary to the evidence I have witnessed in every boardroom I have sat in over the last 10 years...

I'm of the opinion that you might have a pretty good grasp of the issue.

I just have zero confidence in our "leadership" regardless of political affiliation.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first career was as a car mechanic, 1997-2007. Decided to try something different and took the first job I was offered as a criminal records clerk for a big police dept. Along the way I completed a B.A. and M.A. in History and got on as an archivist in a large library in 2013. The pay is not that good but still better than any previous job I've had and I really love the subject matter. Gonna try to stick it out until retirement!

In addition to that, I work 15 hours a week in the sporting goods department of a small retail chain. Still work on cars at home, and love the fact that I can actually refuse a job.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that you might have a pretty good grasp of the issue.

I just have zero confidence in our "leadership" regardless of political affiliation.

Not sure about your 1st comment as I find out how little I know with each project I undertake. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn recently so hopefully that helps.

I agree 100% with your assessment of our politicians and their reliability, honesty, and integrity. They all suck, regardless of party or affiliation.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They all suck, regardless of party or affiliation.

They don't give a damn about me....or you. But their wealthy friends sure are making bank !!!!!!

I've watched as the price of my cattle go lower and lower.....all while the cost of fencing supplies, gates, hay rings, fertilizer, etc keeps on climbing.

I may not know what's happening in the board room......but I know what's happening on the farm.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Figured an update is in order. Next month I'll hit 40 yrs with the company. As of today, I'll be out of work at the end of June. Our facility is being shut down and most production being sent to China. A few of our older, "legacy" products are being EOL'd (end-of-life). This was originally announced last September and I was told I'd be done October 31st. That got extended to December 30th, and then to June 30th.

When our customers heard about the EOL status they went bonkers as we're a sole source for many products. Many went right to the CEO of the corporation and he "suggested" to local management that we continue production for another 6 months. It's possible that we'll get another extension because we currently have a backlog of almost 9 months, with more orders coming in every day.

I'll be 60 in March and am petrified about future employment opportunities. A grew with this company and climbed the ladder, so to speak, without a college degree but with a tremendous amount of sweat equity and hard work. That means squat out on the street. Heck, I've NEVER even been on a job interview!

Too young to retire and I really feel legitimate opportunities (especially salary) will be few and far between. I can draw my pension but only at 60% value so that's not an option. I'm really praying that something is done to prolong operations...
Sux the big one...corporate America at its' finest!

Last edited:

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They don't give a damn about me....or you. But their wealthy friends sure are making bank !!!!!!

I've watched as the price of my cattle go lower and lower.....all while the cost of fencing supplies, gates, hay rings, fertilizer, etc keeps on climbing.

I may not know what's happening in the board room......but I know what's happening on the farm.

No argument there sir.

My wife and I sold our farm in Arkansas in 2016 and made the move to Oklahoma. We had quarter horses, rodeo stock and cow horses to be exact, and the sale prices declined to the point it was no longer even a "break even" operation. And this was all with solid bloodlines that are recognized the world over in the horse community. Our family sold cow horses to rodeo cowboys from everywhere but due to operating costs, we decided to move on.

I, and the rest of my family who are still on the farming side of the equation, are hopeful these new deals will drive the sale prices of crops and livestock back to profitability for the farmers. The deals are definitely helping the manufacturing sector out, the jury is still out on the agriculture sector.

MedicineMan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sooo..., is it the tariffs that seem to help the workers or the trade deals or both?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No argument there sir.

My wife and I sold our farm in Arkansas in 2016 and made the move to Oklahoma. We had quarter horses, rodeo stock and cow horses to be exact, and the sale prices declined to the point it was no longer even a "break even" operation. And this was all with solid bloodlines that are recognized the world over in the horse community. Our family sold cow horses to rodeo cowboys from everywhere but due to operating costs, we decided to move on.

I, and the rest of my family who are still on the farming side of the equation, are hopeful these new deals will drive the sale prices of crops and livestock back to profitability for the farmers. The deals are definitely helping the manufacturing sector out, the jury is still out on the agriculture sector.

I appreciate your knowledge and input. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Now.....we should probably move on before we get too political.

My apologies to the membership for steering us astray.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sooo..., is it the tariffs that seem to help the workers or the trade deals or both?

Short answer = yes

Long answer = Tariffs in the short term hurt both corporations and individuals, farmers especially without doubt, but have been the key driver behind the behavior change of our global competitors, i.e. China, Mexico, etc. They (tariffs) drove Mexico, China, and Canada to the negotiating table, which allowed us to modify how we (USA) do business with each entity. In the long term, they (tariffs), through the trade deals, should add value to goods produced, grown, and sourced CONUS and decrease value on those sourced OCONUS. This is what we refer to as favorable business conditions and give corporations a positive outlook, which in turn increases capital spending (adding machinery, upgrading sites, equipment, facilities, expansions). That spending puts additional revenue into machine builders, construction companies, engineering companies, who then hire additional employees, who then spend more money on Christmas than they should, resulting in additional sales employees, yada, yada, yada.

The two most important events that have created this momentum shift in the US economy (and which is dragging the global economy along with it, albeit kicking and screaming) have been:
  1. The tariffs which resulted in the trade deals
  2. USA export and sales of oil/gas/petro - we are now the world's largest exporter of petro products, which also gives a great negotiating advantage at global economic forums and events. Any time we can kick the House of Saud to the curb is a good thing for our country.
And to follow Randy's lead, back to our regularly scheduled broadcast. My apologies as well for the thread derail...

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Marine technician. Been doing it for 12 years now. Started part time after school at 16, I'm 28 now. I'm a certified technician for both Mercury and Evinrude. Here's one of my latest jobs, prepping a new Lund for delivery.
f437914e941c5cae95ea9b9aa7e5ac68.jpg
3444436103a28b7495bc9c558460f396.jpg
56ce411f27b296c5e5f3b47d136d680f.jpg
513a22b469ca050f41dbf97a5868ec4e.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk