Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
😂 sounds exactly like my dad! Never replace something you can squeeze a little more life out of. Even at the expense of half your day spent tinkering with it.
I have a MTD weed whacker that NEVER runs right when I need it to.
My dad will spend half a day , LITERALLY! , to get it running half way - I just want to fuel the junk up and set it on fire!!!

My parent grew up during a time when labor was cheap, and ‘things’ were expensive.

Sometimes i do stuff just to see if I can.

Philbert
Yessir, I also enjoy bringing stuff back to life & refurbishing old tools but I usually do it for enjoyment not because I need that tool.
I used to be like that, and loved it at the time.
With age to much messing with old abused equipment made me hate tinkering.
Nowadays, if it don't run right I'll smash it with a 10lbs sledgehammer, be done with it and enjoy the experience!!!

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a MTD weed whacker that NEVER runs right when I need it to.
My dad will spend half a day , LITERALLY! , to get it running half way - I just want to fuel the junk up and set it on fire!!!

I used to be like that, and loved it at the time.
With age to much messing with old abused equipment made me hate tinkering.
Nowadays, if it don't run right I'll smash it with a 10lbs sledgehammer, be done with it and enjoy the experience!!!
I classify everything into three groups, projects, running projects, and runners.
With projects, they're d.o.a. items that I usually acquire in that shape and eventually repair until they fall into one of the other two groups.
With running projects, if they need tinkering before I can use them I'm okay with that. My 71 Ford, 090, McCullochs, etc fall into that group, they're my "toys" that I (mostly) enjoy wrenching on and using.
With runners, they're basically always ready to go. My daily driver Dodge and modern Stihls and Huskies fall into that group. If I need to use one right now they'll fire right up and get the job done.
If something slips from "running project" to "project" for awhile, I'm okay with that. If something slips from "runner" to "running project" once or twice, that's okay too provided I have a backup. If I don't have a backup or something makes a habit of crossing that line, I sell it and replace it with something else if possible.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I classify everything into three groups, projects, running projects, and runners.
With projects, they're d.o.a. items that I usually acquire in that shape and eventually repair until they fall into one of the other two groups.
With running projects, if they need tinkering before I can use them I'm okay with that. My 71 Ford, 090, McCullochs, etc fall into that group, they're my "toys" that I (mostly) enjoy wrenching on and using.
With runners, they're basically always ready to go. My daily driver Dodge and modern Stihls and Huskies fall into that group. If I need to use one right now they'll fire right up and get the job done.
If something slips from "running project" to "project" for awhile, I'm okay with that. If something slips from "runner" to "running project" once or twice, that's okay too provided I have a backup. If I don't have a backup or something makes a habit of crossing that line, I sell it and replace it with something else if possible.
I have 2 PS-5105 "projects".
One is complete , scored no compression.
The other is dismantled in a box.
I haven't touched either ever since I purchased them.

I don't like tinkering anymore, period.

I will spend hours on end "making" something from scratch though.
Funny how that goes!

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 550xpg as a present for my brother. Now I just need to get a lightweight bar for it and a set of dogs. The dogs that were on it were sliding all over the place on pine so I'll probably make a set.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_220914459.jpg
    PXL_20231125_220914459.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 17

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your a dam good brother, 👍
He was looking for his first saw just for fire wood he went to a stihl dealer and they tried to sell him on a 170 and I was just like. No, you aren't doing that because when I see department store saws I think of one or two seasons then the chance of it dying goes higher so by the second purcahse you could of already bought a saw that would keep ticking. Then he was wondering about me building a Chinese saw but I wasn't doing that either just because I don't want that lack of dealer support and we are far apart while also following the previous idea.

I found a 572 on ebay that needed rebuilt. but was too large for what he was wanting a saw for and probably shouldn't give him a 70cc. So came on the forum to look at the listings and found that HL had been doing a sell.

More than what I wanted to spend but also too good of a purchase to pass up on something that should last him for well beyond the foreseeable future. (Plus heated handles).

Last edited:

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$10 for garage toys / Although I don't know what that is in the bottom left corner / Knipex for piano wire West Germany , Hazet rattle and wrench they are at least 40 years I found it in the company's catalog from 1976 old and Gedore, The screwdriver is a Swiss company

Attachments

• IMG_20231126_132612.jpg
    IMG_20231126_132612.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, Now I need to know if it work or not. LOL. looks like a complete joke. But, it might work fine for pruning a branch or two every now and then.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, Now I need to know if it work or not. LOL. looks like a complete joke. But, it might work fine for pruning a branch or two every now and then.
Invest your $13. Chain has to be worth $2 or $3. Returnable on Amazon. Send us your report. (Wear good gloves while testing).

Philbert

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought one of these to try