Full-time Slacker
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made a few more Rev 2 with a better setup

View attachment 362000

Excellent improvement. Having the flat section to use something like a 2-in-1 makes this even more useful.

What makes this a better setup than the previous picture? The only thing I can see is the notched opening for the flat section is facing the opposite way?

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is just a thought BUT WHAT IFNS" A FELLER
Took a 2" PVC pipe an did the length wise cut for the drags, then another 1-1/2" pipe a tad longer to insert into the 2" and put a cap on both ends of the 1-1/2" so the drive links will roll on over the caps (with a kerf cut into the caps) and keep them from hanging up. Place the assembly in a vice and squeeze the kerf (with vice) to solidly clamp the drive links for zero movement/rock/roll. Might need to slice a bit off of the 1-1/2" where the drive links are to give more movement in the of the kerf in the vice jaws and less interference on the drive links. To keep 1-1/2 " pipe from rolling inside of 2" pipe a couple of screws in the bottom and use those screws to fasten a standoff at "X inches from bottom of the throat so the PVC stays at the right height in vice when repositioning the saw chain. If the caps are glued on a big notch can be removed from the 1-1/2" pipe and still keep the caps in place. I will try it out but already know I can't post picks (Puter and Phone are not friendly) so anyone wants to take the idea and run with it "GET ON IT"
P.S.
I am visualizing filing of the drags over the top of vice jaws so PVC is clamped proud/high in the jaws.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^^
“Took a 2" PVC pipe . . . “

Need a photo (or a good illustration)!

Philbert
WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE
As I said I can't post pics and this is a thought in Process. I need to buy the 1-1/2 inch caps. But I will be attempting this for myself, Just don't know when. Might work good for square filing but that is another page.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made a few more Rev 2 with a better setup

View attachment 362000
Paul,

Can you share your method and steps for making this version? I may want to make a few, but don’t want to reinvent the wheel!

I see:
A longitudinal cut;
2 angled cuts;
A side notch;
Maybe a drilled hole in the top and bottom?

Made with miter saw? bandsaw?
table saw? router bit? drill press? Dremel?

I could make one from the photo, but knowing the sequence and tools used would be helpful.

Thanks.

Philbert

Last edited: