GoldMember
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:confundio1:

Why not a diesel fan?

I just don't think they pencil out in my application. It's not that I don't like driving them or anything. I just don't want to own one.

First, they're quite a bit more expensive to purchase. I think they generally cost more to repair as well. I could probably get a good running 454 on Craigslist and have it swapped into mine if the motor fails for cheaper than a halfway major repair on a diesel. Also, oil changes are more expensive, batteries are more expensive, and so on. They get better mileage, but in the last ten years, diesel has been more expensive almost the entire time, sometimes by a dollar a gallon or more.

Now, if I was pulling 10k#+ on a regular basis and putting on more than a thousand miles a month, I'd absolutely consider a diesel. But, I don't. I pull that gooseneck which is in the 12-15k range but not long distance. I only put about 6000 miles a year on my trucks, and less than half that is towing. I paid $4000 for that Chevy with 6 good tires on it, ready to go to work. A diesel around here for that money is gonna have 350+k on the odometer.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just don't think they pencil out in my application. It's not that I don't like driving them or anything. I just don't want to own one.

First, they're quite a bit more expensive to purchase. I think they generally cost more to repair as well. I could probably get a good running 454 on Craigslist and have it swapped into mine if the motor fails for cheaper than a halfway major repair on a diesel. Also, oil changes are more expensive, batteries are more expensive, and so on. They get better mileage, but in the last ten years, diesel has been more expensive almost the entire time, sometimes by a dollar a gallon or more.

Now, if I was pulling 10k#+ on a regular basis and putting on more than a thousand miles a month, I'd absolutely consider a diesel. But, I don't. I pull that gooseneck which is in the 12-15k range but not long distance. I only put about 6000 miles a year on my trucks, and less than half that is towing. I paid $4000 for that Chevy with 6 good tires on it, ready to go to work. A diesel around here for that money is gonna have 350+k on the odometer.

Perfect! Im the same way. My inlaws have two ford 6.7 i can borrow anytime i need a heavier truck. A diesel does not make sense for me either but i love them when you heed to move a heavy load.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yessir. Never have been a diesel pickup fan. I only put about 6000 miles a year on my truck.

Good, a gutter guy that I see a lot has a small block in his and pulls a big ol enclosed trailer. She screams pretty good at 30 mph lol.

And I feel the same way about the oil burners, now I wouldn't mind an older stock 5.9 Cummins in a clean square body.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good, a gutter guy that I see a lot has a small block in his pull a big ol enclosed trailer. She screams pretty good at 30 mph lol.

And I feel the same way about the oil burners, now I wouldn't mind an older stock 5.9 Cummins in a clean square body.

96-97 12v p-pump will serve you well Wayne.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good, a gutter guy that I see a lot has a small block in his and pulls a big ol enclosed trailer. She screams pretty good at 30 mph lol.

When I was shopping I was surprised how many duallys I saw with 350s in them. Seems like a dog to me. Maybe you'd get an extra MPG or two unloaded, but once you hitch up to anything at all I think you'd regret it!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was shopping I was surprised how many duallys I saw with 350s in them. Seems like a dog to me. Maybe you'd get an extra MPG or two unloaded, but once you hitch up to anything at all I think you'd regret it!

I felt the same way about my friends 454 truck and then he got a 6.0 5 speed 4.10 truck in 2005. Ive been I’m using Cummins since 02 and no way I’d go gas for anything but a feed truck on a farm for cold starts and no DPF to stop up with all the idling that’s goes on. Both those gas trucks would pull the empty gooseneck about like the 93 loaded with 14 bales.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I felt the same way about my friends 454 truck and then he got a 6.0 5 speed 4.10 truck in 2005. Ive been I’m using Cummins since 02 and no way I’d go gas for anything but a feed truck on a farm for cold starts and no DPF to stop up with all the idling that’s goes on. Both those gas trucks would pull the empty gooseneck about like the 93 loaded with 14 bales.

Yes, it's good that my experience towing with a diesel is limited. I'm sure I'd want one more if I spent more time behind the wheel of one.

I'll say this though. I pulled my Kubota with a few implements on a 22' deckover (around 7000# plus the trailer) behind my old truck, which was an F250 with a manual and the straight 6. Compared to that, this 454 with an automatic 50% more tires, and double the HP and torque feels pretty darned sweet. I mean, chit, I've got cruise control, AC, helper springs and airbags, Bluetooth, a couple 10" subs, everything I need!! :)

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I won’t buy another gas truck. Diesel only for me. Love my 6.7 Powerstroke, but wouldn’t mind a new Cummins either.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah! I don't know what the hell that even means lol.

That's the fully manual pump right?

The P pump is mechanical as well. It will make bigger horsepower but is a little more involved to tune. They’re cheaper to buy too

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, it's good that my experience towing with a diesel is limited. I'm sure I'd want one more if I spent more time behind the wheel of one.

I'll say this though. I pulled my Kubota with a few implements on a 22' deckover (around 7000# plus the trailer) behind my old truck, which was an F250 with a manual and the straight 6. Compared to that, this 454 with an automatic 50% more tires, and double the HP and torque feels pretty darned sweet. I mean, chit, I've got cruise control, AC, helper springs and airbags, Bluetooth, a couple 10" subs, everything I need!! :)

As soon as you use one with some big loads in some hills you’d be trading the 454 in the next day[emoji23]

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of our jeeps
The wife and I are both nuts over em. Had several over the years, from 1951 model to the newest "Sunday driver" 2013 JK.
Would have a yard full if we could afford it.
This ones a 95. Jurassic park goldish color. Stock 2.5 4 banger with second chitty AX5 trans. 235 k on it and motor still has 140 psi on all 4 cylinders. Kinda wish it would die so I could put something a little sportier in it, but it drives fine and goes anywhere as it sits.0307191623.jpg

onlybrowning

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9dddc968e17bf660baca8c57b692c0d2.jpg

Just got this one a couple weeks back. My first Ford pickup. Always been a Chevy guy. Sold my last one when it rusted out bad. This one has the 5.0 and some other unique options since it’s a Canadian truck. For example, a block heater and a 36 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk