Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
9:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When this gets bent like so, it’s best to replace it or try to get it straightened out, took some muscle to remove it and it’s eventually going to wear a hole in the cover67DAADA4-9A94-4CE8-8C30-EE55554E7DAB.jpeg6D35BFB6-BCEA-45AC-83E9-300008D6BE88.jpeg

LoneOak

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
880 Muffler pic 1.jpg 880 Muffler Pic 2.jpg 880 Muffler Pic 3.jpg 880 Muffler Pic 4.jpg 880 Muffler Pic 5.jpg
I just completed this one for my replica MS880. I didn't like how the original exhaust deflector was blowing oil and hot gasses onto the break handle, and was starting to melt it.
I know It's ugly, but this it my first try actually welding with my TiG.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t give two guppies asses about how it looks, you cut some steel to fix it and went at it with your tig welder !!!

It really doesn’t look too bad, and if anyone says it does, I’d like to see them try !!!!!!

Id run that without thinking about it !!! Nice job getting outta your comfort zone and getting it done !!!!!

charles.mann

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with ugly, as long as its functional and “solid”. My first attempt at tig was AL which looked like a bird shat all over the project. But it holds up to the vibrations from a 12hp briggs eng turning a hyd pump. I was told to build a hyd purification unit and as lite wt. as possible and was told i better learn how to weld AL, so i watched bout 6hrs of youtube and gave it a go. Its ugly but solid welds and semi functional.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stainless can be very difficult to weld, it needs lots of shielding gas, and larger cups than you would think !! Good job getting yourself outta your comfort zone, one step at a time and you’ll get there !!! My R.O.T. Is to set the machine to 1a for every 0.001 thickness and use my foot to just keep it going

Yes larger cups, I use larger cups on all stainless and most aluminum. It also helps greatly to
add gas to the opposite side of where your welding stainless.

charles.mann

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I changed to a large cup for the AL, bc i had to have a bit more stick out, plus upped my gas flow from 20, to nearly 30. I did notice when walking the cup, i was getting a grinding feeling, yet there are no damage to the cup ring. my next build, i will use a new cup and see if i still get a grinding feeling.

@Moparmyway i too have heard RoT being 1 amp per 1 thou of thickness and split the amp setting when welding 2 different thickness and keep more heat aimed at the thicker material.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CE670FF9-17C3-4235-B4A0-9C05254A1BEB.jpeg
Yes larger cups, I use larger cups on all stainless and most aluminum. It also helps greatly to
add gas to the opposite side of where your welding stainless.
Absolutely !!!

I purge the stainless exhaust pipe, it’s the only way to get full penetration without compromising the weld or the HAZ.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hood on the Echo muffler above was sticking out to far and making contact with the brake so I made a new smaller one , added one to the starter side and welded some tabs on the bottom so I could bolt it to the case.

KIMG3529.JPG