B440

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya let's hear it!

Heh heh, well I did run it in the garage. It does sound good, but it's really a part of this pipe I'm trying to piece back together.
AM-JKLVbe_vr5tfouLN429RKfbASfJ9i8xMOKeKEJ-rha4yW9YrlJhlECzhzBi4s8m91ceautnPgNuM74gduHgdoYqcfGSlLvs7GgyaMQkS3u-CmKkMsRb46KtZ9n0yLH4LaaLlQ3L7aTUjOaDy_5vE4Whtx=w499-h665-no

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A buddy came over today with his brand new 545. Still no oil or gas in it. He wanted me to do a MM on it. He had ordered an extra muffler to modify and keep the original, original... He isn't getting it ported and didn't really want a radical modification, just something noticable and effective for his otherwise stock saw.

Since the stock outlet and deflector is out front of the brake handle, I bent the deflector up and opened the hole to about twice the size of the stock opening. The internal baffling is a multiple tubular runner set of six passages to the output chamber that looks like it will flow well with the output hole being the limiting factor.
IMG_1056.jpg
Before hogging out the hole. It got opened up clear to the rear of the deflector while still allowing the screen to be inserted. The lightest color is the interal baffle under the hole. I somehow missed getting a picture of the opened up hole.

A picture of a couple of the internal tubular runners from the primary chamber to the secondary chamber. It looked like there were six of these, all of equal length, three on each side.
IMG_1059.jpg

A gill slot was put into the primary chamber down at the front end furthest from the exhaust port to lower peak pressures inside.
IMG_1073.jpg

Ended up as a not in your face, just a little noisier than stock (not much) but should suit him fine as he is in a residential area. I didn't get to play with it to see what gains are there, but I'm sure there are gains over stock.
IMG_1074.jpg

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky 340 from a co-worker wanted a little "boost". His got the output hole opened under the screen, two gills out the front, there was no internal baffling. Not ported so we didn't go wild, but the saw also got 3* timing advance and square filed chain. It cuts good. His muffler was pretty rusty on the outside so it got cleaned off with a flexy wheel and painted.

IMG_1031.JPG

Two gills in the front.
IMG_1032.JPG

I got to play with this one...

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s an interesting thing my brother discovered when he ran his stock 395 against his 395 that I gutted the muffler on. The modded one had way faster acceleration and it took a bit longer for the saw chain to slow down. Also, the stock one was a bit quieter, but the noise it made was way sharper and higher pitched, while the modded one was louder yet softer, if that makes any sense.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s an interesting thing my brother discovered when he ran his stock 395 against his 395 that I gutted the muffler on. The modded one had way faster acceleration and it took a bit longer for the saw chain to slow down. Also, the stock one was a bit quieter, but the noise it made was way sharper and higher pitched, while the modded one was louder yet softer, if that makes any sense.
Would be interesting to swap muffers from saw to saw. In my experience, a stock 395 is a turd, then with a modded muffler, I can stand cutting with it lol