Show off your muffler mods

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling muffler mod. Im sure my neighbour behind me loves it. It points at ther house when milling.
3544df5e225d34d7b4f04c45db1e267c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
What are you using for an air filter?

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today, my buddy brought his mastermind 660 over to play on the dyno.

See if we can find improvements.

I inspected his muffler, it’s identical to Stihl’s dual port muffler with same puny side hole and slot in front cover with a missing (broken off) front deflector.

We took the cover off, the can inside has no baffle.

We did 2 runs with the muffler he had on.

Then we tried the muffler that I recently gutted the baffle and enlarged the side port to a large size which I was gonna try on a factory 660. Also with a closed front cover.

The saw’s power improved a little in the midrange rpms where a lot of people cut at.

D291D220-C7C1-49B5-AC1A-E6F262CC5E5C.jpeg 0CD000DE-6B1B-47E3-B2D8-0A1B7B550A2D.jpeg

So I think the 660’s will also like a tuned muffler with openings in certain places.

The Dual port without the internal baffle was also loud while being a bit more restrictive than the large single side port.

The single side port sounded a little different. Loud too but seems more mellow. (According to my hearing aid)

My buddy was pleased to see a single part make a little difference in how a saw performs on the machine.

He’s already thinking of doing more work to the saw :D

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you using for an air filter?
Its a k&n style filter with a outerwear pre filter. The pre filter works ausome. I do my milling at home so i blow saw out after every cut. For the air filter i just blow the outerwear bag off quick and about every 5 or 6 cuts i pull prefulter off and blow out the main filter which really isnt too dirty after all that milling.
Highly recomend them. I am gonna be ordering Some for my other saws
f4979860efea5ec50eafd20cdc90856c.jpg

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I decided to play with my ported mastermind 660 large single port muffler on the dyno.

I took 2 nuts that are larger than the bolt diameter and opened the cover a little on the opposite side of the clutch side of the clutch side port.

2D944EAA-6D2D-4956-AA28-A86E6E85C91E.jpeg 98ED8C72-37E3-4D52-BDB2-668887915B7C.jpeg

This is just for testing at the moment because the bottom of the muffler is open a little as well and puts heat towards the oil tank.

I wanted to see if there was some more ooomph to gain with a more opened up muffler while still not touching the front cover.

Sure enough, found a little more torque in the midrange.

This is pretty much the same setup as the mastermind 661 but still not quite as much low low torque.

The power at the cutting rpms is pretty similar so both saws should be close to each other.

I think this 660 gained just a little more over the 661 at above 10,000 rpms.

So I think this setup should be a winner for the 660.

Further testing will see if I can top that.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a slide would work better , like 2 channels and a slide door?
Your likely to melt the plastic in the ball valve even brass ones have a teflon liner to help seal.

You are correct on that.

Muh joke backfired. Bad gas in my brain likely.

I’m not the greatest at cracking jokes.

I would not even attempt a ball valve stunt anyway. Expensive waste of money.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the pros.
My son wanted to make his muffler like a straight shot. 2 pipes straight out the front.
He asked me to sharpen the chain so after i did a test cut. I noticed it has a surge asnit idles. Thers no air leaks. I tested saw when he got it a bit ago and it hasnt ran much since. Is this because of not enough back pressure? I told him not to run it till its figured out.
He also cut baffle out so it just an empty can. I think baffle should have stayed in.
Its a stihl 034

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the pros.
My son wanted to make his muffler like a straight shot. 2 pipes straight out the front.
He asked me to sharpen the chain so after i did a test cut. I noticed it has a surge asnit idles. Thers no air leaks. I tested saw when he got it a bit ago and it hasnt ran much since. Is this because of not enough back pressure? I told him not to run it till its figured out.
He also cut baffle out so it just an empty can. I think baffle should have stayed in.
Its a stihl 034

I’d start by fattening up the low side a bit. Maybe an 1/8-1/4 turn and see how it responds.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d start by fattening up the low side a bit. Maybe an 1/8-1/4 turn and see how it responds.
I did that. I richened it up some and it still surged on idle. I might try blocking one of the 2 pipes off temporarily to see if that helps it some.