huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m attempting to do work on a stock 660 but had no luck getting the saw to run long enough on the machine before shearing another flywheel key.

I need a flywheel reamer to clean up the taper
It could be the wrong fw. I had one that felt right but kept shearing the key. Don’t remember whether it was a poly or aluminum wheel I switched to, but switching stopped it

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I milled last year I was getting 1 - 8ft oak board from 1 tank of fuel. Running 32" 3/8" bar. Went through some fuel for sure!

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost makes more economical sense to buy a bandsaw. ;)

My logging friends did just that.

Started with a (I think) Norwood or Woodmizer 35 hp sawmill but wasn’t good enough. Only put 50 hours on it then sold it.

Then they bought a 115 hp diesel portable bandsaw setup.

Now the back area of the farm has become a sawmill operation.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are other things to consider.

A bandsaw mill is far more efficient, but needs to have water injection to cool the blade.

As Kevin says, production is part of it, but so is access. To use a bandsaw, you need to be able to reach the log with heavy equipment, and have the open space to set it up.

With a chainsaw mill, I can go to the log, in the woods, and mill it and carry the boards out. This allows me to go into the woods and/or over septic systems that would preclude the use of heavy equipment.

At the moment, I'm scrambling to build things out of my milled Red Oak and Hickory before it goes bad, and have Walnut, Ash and Oak logs I don't have time to mill!

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moparmyway; That is true.

I’ve been asked by friends recently to mill a 58” diameter trunk that they have sometime.

I did tell them that I could mill the trunk to whatever shape then send the pieces to my buddies sawmill for final cut.

Or mill it to size and they can sand the surface down to whatever they like.

I have a 36” bar that used to be a milling bar that I bought off someone that wanted a longer one.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are other things to consider.

A bandsaw mill is far more efficient, but needs to have water injection to cool the blade.

As Kevin says, production is part of it, but so is access. To use a bandsaw, you need to be able to reach the log with heavy equipment, and have the open space to set it up.

With a chainsaw mill, I can go to the log, in the woods, and mill it and carry the boards out. This allows me to go into the woods and/or over septic systems that would preclude the use of heavy equipment.

At the moment, I'm scrambling to build things out of my milled Red Oak and Hickory before it goes bad, and have Walnut, Ash and Oak logs I don't have time to mill!

(Bore care) can be used to save the lumber that sits too long. Its a pretty good product and I have used it on historic buildings here .

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for that. I will give it a try if the stuff I'm trying does not work out.

Recently purchased some Varathane Wood Hardener and some System Three Sculpwood Paste (an epoxy). The second product is supposed to be very good for filling cracks and voids.

Will see how they hold up. My outdoor stuff seems to have problems with sunlight (for any finish that shows off the woodgrain) or filler material not holding up to either sunlight or temperature extremes. It has been very frustrating!

The indoor furniture seems to hold up very well.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling muffler mod. Im sure my neighbour behind me loves it. It points at ther house when milling.
3544df5e225d34d7b4f04c45db1e267c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk