Saw video thread

Hall84

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chestnut Oak is good stuff, it is my favorite wood to mill, but I'm currently doing some regular white oak for building material (for a deer stand).
I cut a lot of oak for firewood Mike. Takes couple years to season well. But that’s top of the food chain far as btu’s on firewood imo.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
4:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
372xp kit saw that I had finished and tuned a couple days ago…I went to make a video this evening, and the crappy kit carb decided to take a dump. Just showing what you get when you put together a bunch of cheap aftermarket parts.
Swapped out the carb and tuned the saw to 12.5K for these test cuts.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chestnut Oak is good stuff, it is my favorite wood to mill, but I'm currently doing some regular white oak for building material (for a deer stand).
Why do you favor Chestnut Oak? And, around here not much gets made with the white oak. There’s a slat maker for a distillery just north of here that pays $300 ton for White Oak with three good sides. It all goes up there.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly, White Oak has always been used for ship building, wine barrels and locks on canals. It is very rot resistant. (Note: Red Oak is porous, White Oak is not). That is why I like to use White Oak to build my outdoor hunting stands. Chestnut Oak is in the White Oak family.

I like using Chestnut Oak for building wood furniture because it has a slightly darker color. In fact, it seems to get darker the longer you let it age.

Some of the benches I have built from Chestnut Oak are very light in color, others are fairly dark brown (all with the same finish).

I look at is a being beautiful and durable wood.

Chestnut Oak is also known as "rock oak". If a tree is cut (or falls) down, but is off the ground, it will not rot for decades, and will get VERY hard with age. It gets very weathered looking, as the sap wood will rot, but the heartwood does not. Black Cherry also seems to do this.

Last edited: