av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
6:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly, White Oak has always been used for ship building, wine barrels and locks on canals. It is very rot resistant. (Note: Red Oak is porous, White Oak is not). That is why I like to use White Oak to build my outdoor hunting stands. Chestnut Oak is in the White Oak family.

I like using Chestnut Oak for building wood furniture because it has a slightly darker color. In fact, it seems to get darker the longer you let it age.

Some of the benches I have built from Chestnut Oak are very light in color, others are fairly dark brown (all with the same finish).

I look at is a being beautiful and durable wood.

Chestnut Oak is also known as "rock oak". If a tree is cut (or falls) down, but is off the ground, it will not rot for decades, and will get VERY hard with age. It gets very weathered looking, as the sap wood will rot, but the heartwood does not. Black Cherry also seems to do this.
Thank you! I live amongst some very old Chestnut Oak trees. And I can agree completely about the Rock Oak. That tree is the most prevalent tree around here and I cut a bunch of it. I haven’t started milling yet but I’m encouraged since learning this about the trees from you. We have no red oak up here on the mountain, I don’t think they have the roots for it. We have some white oak, long tall stuff too, needs to be to get up to the canopy. What I don’t have is understory. It’s pretty, but it’s not healthy. The deer are starving as there’s just too many of them.
Thanks again. I’ll look at these trees differently now.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is what you called a rock oak. This was a leaner for the better part of 10 years before I cut it down. Sapwood long gone but the heart is hard as a rock. If I didn’t already have a bunch of firewood (and it wasn’t down the mountain) I’d be splitting it and burning it. IMG_5361.jpeg

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s my “backyard” looking down the mountain. Right in the middle of the pic are two Chestnut trees I planted 5 years ago from seed. They are 15’and 20’ tall now. IMG_5362.jpeg

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if these have a limited coil, at least with some sort of break in duration limiter. I know I've gotten this one up to 16,200 with no chain, but it was "4 stroking" like crazy. Probably missing a lot more than every other stroke. With a chain, they just don't have the torque to wind up between limiter clips.

Around 12,500 at the start of the cut, then I leaned on it going between 11,100-11,800 through most of the cut, dropping a little lower than 10,500 at the slowest.

480p 43sec, 17.7Mb saw video:

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Half clapped out 036 i overpaid for. Under .020 squish, big timing advance and a muffler mod. Runs a hell of a lot better than it did but still not great. Seems to go fat when it gets hot sometimes.🤔