Saw video thread

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Come on Mason, you had fresh chain on your saw (and although round it is some new stuff that was supposed to be real good) and my saw had 2 tanks on it's chain. Yes, you have very good cant technique, but IIRC correctly, you won on one side, and we switched, and I won. Go check the vids.

In the large Oak rounds, no way your 064 was out cutting my 660.

I'm talking about a real test, in some hard wood, with the same B+C and we will see how you do.

In NY, with fresh chain, my 460 and Hybrid killed your 7900 and 372.

I'm not a cant racer, but on a large hardwood cut I'll put my 660 against you 064 any time.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And Jeff's saw did not do well with the belly bar, must have been the chain, but in the past Jeff's 660 has been a very tough saw to beat (IIRC you were unable to beat it with your ported Husky last year).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For cant racing in softwood you want a bigger rim and fresh/sharp chain. Mason set his saw up for it, he knows I did not and just ran for fun.

Same B+C in hardwood Mason, when ever you are ready.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys have waaaay too many excuses about chains. Holy fawk. Buy a new loop of chain and use the same bar. Then test in the same wood.

So simple, no need to make things difficult
The pissing and moaning gets to be a bit much, doesnt it?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For cant racing in softwood you want a bigger rim and fresh/sharp chain. Mason set his saw up for it, he knows I did not and just ran for fun.

Same B+C in hardwood Mason, when ever you are ready.
I’ll bring a cannon 28” stihl mount bar with adapter. Anyone who wants to run can do so. No silly excuses from u two or me.

Roadfxr

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys have waaaay too many excuses about chains. Holy fawk. Buy a new loop of chain and use the same bar. Then test in the same wood.

This is neither the time nor place for factual information...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That is exactly what we did at the NY GTG, and each owner operated their own saw. 2 cuts (one way each) in a dead, tough 18" White Oak Cant, it was a good test. We used Stihl off the roll RSL on a 24" bar.

One of the big factors (I had 7 pin sprockets). Larger sprockets do better in soft wood cants, but not necessarily in hardwood.

Different saws have been set up for different purposes (by their owners) so result will change based on the type of wood used in the test.

There is no "one best combo".

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The pissing and moaning gets to be a bit much, doesnt it?
Just tryin to set the trash talking straight...
I admit when I get beat. And in CT, I got a whoopin. By any and all who I ran against.
But in NY, Mike Lee 660 with off the roll chain, 76dl was really scooting for an unpiped, regular gas, work saw...
Cant was a very hard 16" dried white oak.
Def Dave posted the times in the thread.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, your 660 also won in the previous years NY competition. I remember Mason was quite surprised his large Husky was bested.

You definitely have a strong saw there, but there was obviously something not right with the chain at this year's CT GTG.

No saw/chain combo is best at everything, but you and I generally focus on cutting larger/tougher hardwood. We are not real competitive in a softwood cant.