deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
8:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn Hooskies.
Don't forget about those things that fall........
Nope, not gonna say it!

Ok I will ...... I had a 262xp and a 390xp and them damn saws fell over more than me on a Saturday night in my 20s .......
They leaked oil and fuel
Just some of the many reasons I am now a STIHL user and never going back .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Splitting hares.
Sooo, these are NOT Pro saws considering they feature inboard clutches?! :rolleyes:

I want to see a Dolmar/Makita 73xx or 79xx equally well ported compared to these two. :cool:

What kinda wood species is that, has a funky look to it?! o_O

Both saws hold in cut rpm's nicely. :)

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sooo, these are NOT Pro saws considering they feature inboard clutches?! :rolleyes:

I want to see a Dolmar/Makita 73xx or 79xx equally well ported compared to these two. :cool:

What kinda wood species is that, has a funky look to it?! o_O

Both saws hold in cut rpm's nicely. :)
Sorry if I misled, not my videos.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7910 is bigger. It should go faster. [emoji106]
I have nothing against putting a 2 decades old properly ported Dolmar PS-7300 against those over hyped units - in all fairness I did state 73xx or 79xx. ;)

I love both my PS-73's, they are the cats meow as far as I am concerned.

I have nothing against progress and I realize current saws have to comply to certain standards and requirements.
But to be honest, once ported they are equal to any other saw in terms of "EPA imposed restrictions" as any and all choke points get removed during the porting process.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One “epa” saw I actually like better than the old ones is a 461 over the old 046. The 046 I had was a fuel hog. I can cut more on a tank of gas with the 461 and it makes the same, if not better power than the 046 does. It runs smoother in the hands and balances better IMHO. There will always be a bias for anything old... but not all new things are junk. Some yes... but not all imo.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have nothing against putting a 2 decades old properly ported Dolmar PS-7300 against those over hyped units - in all fairness I did state 73xx or 79xx. ;)

I love both my PS-73's, they are the cats meow as far as I am concerned.

I have nothing against progress and I realize current saws have to comply to certain standards and requirements.
But to be honest, once ported they are equal to any other saw in terms of "EPA imposed restrictions" as any and all choke points get removed during the porting process.
Now you just need to get one of those Dolly's ported. And we will welcome you to the 21st century.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One “epa” saw I actually like better than the old ones is a 461 over the old 046. The 046 I had was a fuel hog. I can cut more on a tank of gas with the 461 and it makes the same, if not better power than the 046 does. It’s smoother in the hands and balances better IMHO. There will always be a bias for anything old... but not all new things are junk. Some yes... but not all imo.
I never said everything new is worse that its elder counterpart.
New products can incorporate R&D upgrades if the manufacturer actually cared about bettering their product. :)

Now you just need to get one of those Dolly's ported. And we will welcome you to the 21st century.
Did no one tell You that ported saws are just a fad , a placebo for grown boys to play with?! :rolleyes:

I am not on the clock while bucking, and there are no chainsaw GTG's in Croatia that I could attend to in hopes to show off my saws.
Even a couple seconds quicker through a bucking cut don't mean squat to me.

Mild muffler mod (single muffler outlet with factory original spark arrester screen, gutted SLR) but otherwise completely factory stock.
The state of this saws innards are unknown, I purchased her used and abused.
I know she is showing clutch slip, new drum is already on, still have to replace the weights (new OEM ones are sitting in my parts bucket).
Dolmar PS-7310, tuned just shy of 12.8k WOT no load:

The chain should still be considered a work chain, even though I ground the rivet heads down - nothing else on this loop is race oriented.
The loop is filed free hand with a 4.8mm Stihl round file.
Two bucking cuts show the chains self feeding capabilities.
The log is turkey oak and even though it looks multicolored it is healthy non rotten wood.
This wood species is dense and will put a fair load on any saw, for comparison I consider beech to be soft.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's just about that feeling of cutting with that ported piece. You won't really understand until you run one or own one.
To me makes cutting wood much more pleasurable! Not even like work.

Not trying to take anything away from your saws at all. They are very nice. But they could really wake up with just a little more work on the inside!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's just about that feeling of cutting with that ported piece. You won't really understand until you run one or own one.
To me makes cutting wood much more pleasurable! Not even like work.

Not trying to take anything away from your saws at all. They are very nice. But they could really wake up with just a little more work on the inside!
I already consider bucking firewood logs pleasurable, relaxing and joyful.
To back that statement up this year alone I have bucked up anything between 30-40 cubic meters of logs that weren't my own merely asking for fuel money (in some cases not even that!).

I am not saying that I would not be partial to running/owning a ported saw - I just do not crave one! ;)

Unlimited coil, ported, high revving saws running 8 or even 9 tooth sprockets do not run very well in knotty hardwood - which is the majority of what I cut.
I own a 8 tooth sprocket that is just collecting dust, I tried it and don't like it at all.
It was not a matter whether my PS-7900 was able to pull it (no problem whatsoever in that regard), it was the chain NOT biting into oak knots without utilization of the bucking spikes.

We all have our own opinions and preferences, each to his/her own. :)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 7900 with my mild “farmer jones” mods (not ported) was running right with a ported 660 and 460. Not the same b/c... but realistically close in the real world working.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can't discount the ported saw until you try it Wilhelm!
Like trying a new food. Can't say you don't like it until you at least try it. Then, and only then can you make a fair and accurate assessment and decision.
Mason, you know ported saws are much more fun to run.
Come on now.