RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job Kevin! You sure have been busy! [emoji106]
I am going to put you on the spot. Which saw was the strongest? They all looked strong. 661 buzzes right along. The 064s looked torcqy.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to put you on the spot. Which saw was the strongest? They all looked strong. 661 buzzes right along. The 064s looked torcqy.
The 661 looked faster to me just watching the videos but I could be wrong.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
661 feels the best. I didn't stopwatch anything, just the video timer. Dustin's is broke in. The rest have 6 or 8 cuts on them. Clint's and dall's are for a longer bar. Dustin's is a play saw and will clean up on the other 2 in square wood I think.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched my video again. The second the lower spike caught the wood, the chain locked up. I am not quite sure what to do to correct that, but just stating my observation.
The problem lies with the geometry of the two lowest spikes on a 5-point set or the spike below the lower bar rail on a 4 point. If the lower spike is long and pointy, with a shallow angle back towards the case, as soon as the tip touches the wood it acts as a wedge and literally pulls the bar tighter to the wood. This can/does overload the chain and will stall it. Absolute pita in hard wood. If the tip of the second spike from the bottom aligns evenly or below the top of the cutter(bottom side of bar) it will help prevent this. If the tip of that spike rides up a little higher, it allows the lower spike to act as a wedge.

I like the bigger spikes to help keep the saw off the wood when bucking but I usually modify the lower spike to form a much shorter point at a steeper angle. Makes the saw much friendlier to use. If it's on a 440/660 chassis I just order the older style 1122 spikes with turned up lower spike. On a 460/1, you have to modify the west coast spikes.

The 460 spikes are bad for chain stalling. Not as bad as the newer dolmar/Mikita ones but close. Modify the lower dog to look like the 361 dual dog kit and you'll be much happier.

IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1773.JPG

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem lies with the geometry of the two lowest spikes on a 5-point set or the spike below the lower bar rail on a 4 point. If the lower spike is long and pointy, with a shallow angle back towards the case, as soon as the tip touches the wood it acts as a wedge and literally pulls the bar tighter to the wood. This can/does overload the chain and will stall it. Absolute pita in hard wood. If the tip of the second spike from the bottom aligns evenly or below the top of the cutter(bottom side of bar) it will help prevent this. If the tip of that spike rides up a little higher, it allows the lower spike to act as a wedge.

I like the bigger spikes to help keep the saw off the wood when bucking but I usually modify the lower spike to form a much shorter point at a steeper angle. Makes the saw much friendlier to use. If it's on a 440/660 chassis I just order the older style 1122 spikes with turned up lower spike. On a 460/1, you have to modify the west coast spikes.

The 460 spikes are bad for chain stalling. Not as bad as the newer dolmar/Mikita ones but close. Modify the lower dog to look like the 361 dual dog kit and you'll be much happier.

View attachment 109010 View attachment 109011
I will try that. Thank you. [emoji106]