Saw video thread

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is not as speedy as Pine Jeff. Hemlock is very slow growing, and can get real big.

They used to use it a lot for barn siding. As long as it was off the ground, it would not rot, and it did not need to be stained or painted, which reduced the assessed value of the barn. My cousin says it absorbs minerals from the rain and gets harder over time.

I think his barn was over 100 years old and it was hard as a rock. When the barn came down he used some of it to make large picture frames.

Last edited:

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is not as speedy as Pind Jeff. Hemlock is very slow growing, and can get real big.

They used to use it a lot for barn siding. As long as it was off the ground, it would not rot, and it did not need to be stained or painted, which reduced the assessed value of the barn. My cousin says it absorbs minerals from the rain and gets harder over time.

I think his barn was over 100 years old and it was hard as a rock. When the barn came down he used some of it to make large picture frames.
Heck yeah they do. There are several Hemlocks down in my woods that are 2-3 foot in diameter

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They can get to be twice that, but there is almost no virgin growth left in NY.

During the Civil War they were virtually all clear cut as they used the tannic acid under the bark to tan leather.

The Catskill used to be almost all Hemlock, but after they were cut, hardwoods grew in their place.